10 years ago we celebrated the grand opening of this business idea we decided to call Throwing Mud Gallery. The first time we looked at this location, Eileen was still working for a big bank downtown, knowing her IT job was being eliminated, and Mark was making pottery in the garage, doing art shows, and teaching a pottery class through Metro Parks.
On December 20, 2010 we decided to take the leap and signed a 5-year lease at 2212 North 30th street. By mid January 2011, we had 5 pottery wheels and 4 pottery students who had been taking classes from Mark at Metro Parks (2 of them are still here!)
In 2013 we were able to expand our business. This gave us the ability to increase our gallery space and class size - we now had 12 pottery wheels - and we added a paint your own pottery studio!
Fast forward to 2021….
- Over 900 people have taken pottery classes from us
- 1/3 of our students have been with us for over 2 years
- We’ve had employees (thanks Rosa!)
- Friendships have been made
- 2 pottery students who met in class and are now married and have a child.
- We have artwork in our gallery that was created by over 100 different craftspeople
- Some of our students are now selling their pottery
- We’ve survived being closed for 3 months during a pandemic
Thank you so much for supporting us through the years. When we’re able to gather again, you can be sure that we will be throwing a BELATED ANNIVERSARY PARTY! Stay tuned...