Do We Like the Paleo Way of Eating?
For the past year, I have been cooking Paleo style. During this time, I have gleaned a bit of experience and made some decisions about what I like and don't like about this way of eating. Do you know about Paleo? Have you tried it?
Many of my Fabulously Fit over 50 Club members are taking some baby steps in this direction. Last week we had a class on just how to begin, staple ingredients and beginning cooking ideas. Class members have access to archives of classes and exercises at FabulouslyFit.com. On Monday we began a Step it up Challenge and will be tracking our progress with a simple scorecard.
This month on FabulouslyFit.com blog, I have zeroed in on Paleo. If you follow along, you will see what I call the Fabufit Paleo way of eating. Let me highlight the basics.
- Fresh Vegetables and Fruits - Try for many more vegetables than fruits. Buy organic when you can.
- Fish, Poultry and other Meats - Salmon is great. GRASS fed beef is best, although I have not begun buying grass fed yet. I wish to do so.
- Raw, unsalted Nuts and Seeds
- Good Fats - Avocado, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Ghee
- Much pure Water - Try for 1/2 your body weight in ounces. Premeasure your water daily.
- Soy or Whey Protein Shakes - (although not in the Paleo approved list:)
- Natural vitamins and minerals, especially B Vitamins, Calcium, Omega 3 Fish Oil and a good Multivitamin, multimineral - (although these also not on the Paleo list.)
We Don't Include:
- Processed Foods and Fast Foods
- Processed Oils - We use Virgin Pressed Olive Oil and Coconut Oil or Ghee
- Sugar - We use Stevia Leaf Extract, Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, Dates
- Dairy - We use Almond Milk, Coconut Milk
- Grains - We use Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Arrowroot Powder. (And we make Stupid Easy Tortillas, which are delicious:)
Cautions I would make:
- Do not leave out your Abundance of Vegetables - (You will love the Cauliflower Rice Recipe and the Spaghetti Squash for Pasta.)
- Make Pure Water your beverage of choice
- Try this way of eating with strictness for 30 days. Then, if you wish, gradually add back in some dairy, then some grains, then some legumes. See how you body reacts. Chances are you will feel so good on the 30 day plan, you may wish to keep that plan 90-95%.
- Limit meat intake so as not to exclude your other food groups.
- Limit your good fats intake, but do not leave out the good fats -
All in all, I really like this Paleo Way of Eating. This combined with consistent exercise has created some very significant inch loss in my waist, abs, hips, thighs. (These are long time stubborn inches that had refused to leave before.) Of the recipes we have tested this past year, we have found some treasures that have become part of our all time favorites - (Carrot Banana Muffins, Stupid Easy Tortillas, Marinara Chili, Cashew Chicken in Lettuce Wraps for examples).
TESTIMONY from a Fabulously Fit Club Member:
"Dani, I have enjoyed the last month spending time with you and the class. Your knowledge on fitness and nutrition is above and beyond the best. I have learned so much to carry me through life and most eager to learn more. The thought that has stuck with me most is You can do it or you don't have to do it and maybe it will not show up now but some day it will. That is so true. It is so easy to say it doesn't matter or will not hurt me but what happens 10 years from now if we do not follow the right path. Thanks so much and looking forward to tonight. Loving your recipes." Grateful Ginger
You will find a tab called Healthy Recipes at Fabulouslyfit.com with all of these tested recipes above awaiting you. As you go to my blog site, you will also notice a tab for the Fabulously Fit over 50 Club. If you are over 50 or close to 50 and want to learn more secrets about health and fitness, you are invited to join us.Our Fabulously Fit over 50 Membership Club has taken off in an exciting way. How blessed and grateful I am teaching this and sharing what I love – secrets to help others become fit and healthy. "It's never too late to start, it's always too late to wait" says Jeff Olson, author of the Slight Edge.
To join, click the Subscribe button below:
Wishing you a life long and strong,
"The Christian Longevity Expert
Certified Nutrition Consultant
I really look forward to getting to know you and being able to share with you the dream God has put into my heart of helping you go to the next level of your fitness and health while incorporating the principles of God's Word to make each of you a Faith Champion.
Fabufit is a simple fitness system based on Godly principles encompassing the whole circle of health: Spirit, soul (mind, will and emotions) and body. I invite you to visit my website at Fabufit.com and my blog at FabulouslyFit.com.