I am excited to further introduce our Christian Education & Equipping ministry this fall. Christian Education & Equipping is an environment in our discipleship pathway designed specifically for formative teaching. Formative teaching is heart directed information for the sake of whole-life transformation. To be a follower of Jesus is to embrace a life of learning to obey all that Jesus commanded us in the scriptures (Matthew 28:118-20). Jesus has called the leaders in his church to teach and equip the saints for the work of ministry (Eph. 4), in all of life, and this is why CE&E is important in making whole-life disciples.
Our CE&E environment has three objectives:
- Biblical & theological literacy: “how do we listen well to all of Scripture?”
- Gospel fluency: “how does the gospel speak to all of my life?”
- Missional living: “how do we follow Christ in all our callings?”
The two strategies we are using to pursue biblical & theological literacy, gospel fluency, and missional living are 1) Podcasts: Throughout the year, podcasts created and curated for the life of NewCity will be released on our podcast feed. Please feel free to share them with other friends and family. 2) Weekend seminars: Weekend seminars will vary in length and will be an opportunity to gather together for teaching and equipping on a particular topic. Our hope is that everyone at NewCity would have an opportunity to attend at least one weekend seminar in the course of a semester. Each seminar is designed with intention to foster participation and provide direct application in all of life.
This fall we will be offering three CE&E classes.
- NewCity Parenting Forum (Saturday, October 20th 7-9:30pm): The Parenting Forum is a night of discussion and reflection on our calling as parents. Using the framework of delight, disciple, and discipline we will engage in small group discussion and reflection as well as a panel discussion and Q&A. The purpose of the evening is to reflect on your own parenting and leave with concrete ideas to more fully delight, disciple, and discipline your children, for the Glory of God and good of your neighbors. Location: 1220 Alden Road, 32803 (The City Beautiful Church).
- Baptism and the Christian Life (Nov. 3 6:30-9pm - Nov. 4 9am-Noon): Baptism in the name of the triune God is one of two sacraments in the Christian life and is the initiation into the Church. This class will be taught by Dr. Scott Swain, President of Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando. The class will address questions like, “what is Christian baptism?”, “Why do we baptize infants and children of believers?”, “How does this affect the way we disciple our children?”, and “How does baptism inform our view of the Christian life?”. Location: NewCity Offices.
- Counseling and Christian Growth (Sunday, December 16th 7-9pm): This seminar will discuss the potential role of counseling in the Christian life. We live in a culture where therapy is increasingly valued for life change and growth. How are we to engage this idea as believers who understand the Gospel is the power that saves and changes us? Dr. Eric Johnson from Houston Baptist University will give a talk on this topic followed by a panel discussion and Q&A. Location: TBD.
I hope you will be encouraged and challenged as you engage in our CE&E podcasts and seminars this fall as we endeavor to follow Jesus together as whole-life disciples in our callings.