Edmonton Craft Beer Festival (14,15 June)
Well, yeas, there is another beer festival that you all should know about - and start planning for! The Edmonton Craft Beer Festival
is not going to be your average beer hall with pale lagers dominating and those pesky wines and spirits getting in the way, but rather a beer festival's beer festival.
The Calgary Craft Beer Festival is taking it's show on the road and will host their very first event this year coming in June. It's going to be held at Northlands across several halls, so, that's a bit of a clue how big this is going to be.
On top of that, Edmonton Beer Geeks Anonymous is going to have our very own booth
at this inaugural Edmonton Craft Beer Festival! You lot will have to stop by and have a chat, tell us what you think, and point us in the direction of some of your favourites.
Everyone receiving this email who is planning on coming to the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival, listen up! Not only have you possibly seen us going on about a 15% discount code to be used when purchasing tickets, BUT (!), it gets better. If you're reading this, you'll in the select group of people that can use the promotional code EBGA25 to receive 25% off when purchasing your tickets!
Only readers of this newsletter will be able to take advantage of this discount.
During drafting of this newsletter the proposed beer list at the festival has well over 100 different offerings (check it out here
It should also be noted that a portion of the proceeds of this event are going to the Edmonton Food Bank.
EBGA Cask Day 2013 (29 June)
The Edmonton Beer Geeks Anonymous would like to announce our premier event is a little less one month away. Scheduled for 29 June 2013
our second anniversary will be celebrated once again by hosting a one-of-a-kind event for Alberta. Last year we hosted the very first of this type of event, and we're carrying on this year....
As you probably are aware, if you're reading this, that cask ale is a naturally conditioned, unfiltered, unpasteurized method of preparing beer in vessels called firkins. Many of you will have attended the Alley Kat cask night's around the city (Next Act, Sugarbowl, Underground) and will know that these beers are created with an abundance of creativity, inspiration, and, the best part, are one-offs. Each beer is the brain child of the brewer, who takes creative license to create something outstanding. Often dry-hopped and primed with additional ferment-able goodness.
Tickets initially went on-sale at Wunderbar on 28 May in a pre-sale event. All remaining tickets are available on-line through the following links (please take care in selecting the sessions you wish to attend). Tickets are limited to 2 per person across both sessions.
Session 1 (11am - 4pm) can be purchased here
Session 2 (6pm - close) can be purchased here
*** Links to ticket sales go live at 12pm, 30 May 2013 ***
Tickets for each session are $30
. Tickets may be purchased for both sessions (subject to availability). Each ticket holder will be provided with an entry package, similar to last year, which will include, but not limited to a door prize ticket, one serving token, some EBGA branded items, and oh, yeah, your very own EBGA Cask Day 2013
20oz pint glass!
Beer tokens will be sold in the same fashion as last year. One token for a half-pint, two tokens for a full 20oz pint. Prices for these one-off cask conditioned creations are tentatively set at $3/half pint and $6/pint (subject to change).
Note that not all of the casks will be tapped during the first session. A random selection of casks will be held back and tapped during the second session.
YEG Beer Events Listing
As of the drafting of this newsletter there are a few other beer events around the city that have yet to be confirmed.
6 June 2013, 12pm - Alley Kat Cask at Cha Island Tea Co
- Join us for a very special cask night! In fact, this is our first ever cask night at Cha Island and we are very excited to cheers with the Cha Island crew! We're serving up our delicious Summer Squeeze with added hop zazziness! Tappin' will go down right at Noon!
6 June 2013, 5pm - Howe Sound Takes Over The Taps at Beer Revolution
- Squamish, BC's Howe Sound is taking over the taps with 12 of their brews! The complete list can be found on the Beer Revolution website, but is said to include at least four beers never before seen in Alberta!
13 June 2013, 6pm - Brewmasters Dinner at Underground
- Intended to be a kick off to the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival, the Underground Tap & Grill is bringing in two international brewmasters! Brewers from both 8 Wired (New Zealand) and Evil Twin (Denmark/USA...depends on your point of view) will be on hand for the evening to present their beers and speak to the room. Two flights (4 x 5oz) of beer and a three course meal are included in the ticket price; purchase online here
14, 15 June 2013 - Edmonton Craft Beer Festival
- "The Edmonton Craft Beer Festival is a celebration of beer culture in Alberta. We focus on bringing the beer community together, including brew masters, brewery representatives, restaurant owners, managers and chefs. Together, these experts will share their knowledge through Brew Master Seminars, Cooking With Beer Seminars, food & beer pairings, and so much more. And when it’s all done – cast your vote for your favorite beer and food."
Note that the EBGA is going to have a booth at this festival and we'll be looking for all of you! To make it more enticing, use the promotion code 'EBGA25'
and receive 25% off of your ticket purchases on line (here
The festival starts on Friday, 14 June at 3pm with a special Beer Geek VIP session (get in early, private beer seminars and opportunity to sample unique beers), and continues on Saturday 15 June at 1pm.
29 June 2013, 11am - #EBGACaskDay2013
- Finally!! It's been a long time in the planning stages this year, but we're ready for it! See above for full details.