EBGA - May 2013 Newsletter
It's it ok to say the 'S' word yet? Ah, hell, it's Spring, and that means we're going to be spooling up for another great (and busy!) season here in Edmonton.
Look below for a bit of an announcement....
Edmonton Craft Beer Festival
Well, yeas, there is another beer festival that you all should know about - and start planning for! The Edmonton Craft Beer Festival
is not going to be your average beer hall with pale lagers dominating and those pesky wines and spirits getting in the way, but rather a beer festival's beer festival.
The Calgary Craft Beer Festival is taking it's show on the road and will host their very first event this year coming in June. It's going to be held at Northlands across several halls, so, that's a bit of a clue how big this is going to be.
At this time, the organizers are looking for volunteers to help chaperone the event - these responsibilities will range from selling sample tickets, to crowd watching, to running errands during the show. The organizers want your help and are willing to make it worth your while. They are prepared to give those who volunteer a free pass to the event on the opposite day of volunteering. So, all you have to do is put in some time and you too can be enjoying the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival.
Those parties interested in volunteering will need to contact the organizers of the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival via this link
and mention the EBGA! You may also want to clear your calender on 14 and 15 June, just for good measure.
It should also be noted that a portion of the proceeds of this event are going to the Edmonton Food Bank.
EBGA May 2013
After last month, we're back on track with another event this month. 28 May 2013, 7pm
at Wunderbar we'll be back at it. This month we're doing a couple of things, just because, you know, we slacked off last month.
The first feature at this month's event will be a great compliment to the warmer weather - an all IPA tap line-up. We're working on getting a few interesting things to attack your palate.
The second is something rather more interesting......
The Edmonton Beer Geeks Anonymous would like to announce our premier event is a little less than two months away. Scheduled for 29 June 2013
our second anniversary will be celebrated once again by hosting a one-of-a-kind event for Alberta. Last year we hosted the very first of this type of event, and we're carrying on this year....
As you probably are aware, if you're reading this, that cask ale is a naturally conditioned, unfiltered, unpasteurized method of preparing beer in vessels called firkins. Many of you will have attended the Alley Kat cask night's around the city (Next Act, Sugarbowl, Underground) and will know that these beers are created with an abundance of creativity, inspiration, and, the best part, are one-offs. Each beer is the brain child of the brewer, who takes creative license to create something outstanding. Often dry-hopped and primed with additional ferment-able goodness.
Last year for our anniversary, the EBGA brought you six breweries' cask ale creations....expect rather more than that this year. Hence...well, read on.
So, why are we talking about an event in June in the May newsletter, and what the devil is so interesting? Well, at this month's EBGA event at Wunderbar, you, dear beer geek, will be able to purchase tickets in advance for EBGA Cask Day 2013!
Here are the details for this years' EBGA Cask Day...... The format is slightly different, we'll be hosting the event over two sessions this year (11am-4pm and 6pm-close), and of course, it's going to be a bigger and better event this year as we learned quite a lot about how to do things with our inaugural event last year.
Tickets will be pre-sold at the May EBGA event at Wunderbar. Tickets will be available per-session. Tickets will go on-sale outside of this month's EBGA event on-line only (date and time will be announced in the coming week). We are limiting ticket sales at two per person across both sessions.
Tickets for each session are $30. Tickets may be purchased for both sessions (subject to availability). Each ticket holder will be provided with an entry package, similar to last year, which will include, but not limited to a door prize ticket, one half-pint serving token, some EBGA branded items, and oh, yeah, your very own EBGA Cask Day 2013 20oz pint glass!
Beer tokens will be sold in the same fashion as last year. One token for a half-pint, two tokens for a full 20oz pint. Prices will be set closer to the event date.
Please note that we will only be accepting cash for this special pre-sell
. Tickets being sold on-line will accept various tenders. Some details are subject to change.
See you on the 28th then?
YEG Beer Events Listing
3-4 May 2013 - Buckin' Bronco IPA
- Ribstone Creek, with their shiny new brewery in Edgerton have crafted an India Pale Ale that is being showcased at both the Calgary and Edmonton Craft Beer Festivals (hence the date). Buckin' Bronco IPA is unfiltered, and at 7.5%, the all-natural first ale from Ribstone Creek is a bold statement. Look for this on draught in Edmonton at Underground and Keg'n'Cork (call ahead to verify).
6 May 2013, 6:30pm - Edmonton Homebrewers Guild
- The last General Meeting until the fall, but nevertheless, an important one. Guild elections will take place this month with vacancies in the following seats: President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Head Judge. Part of what makes the Guild work so well is participation, so come out and vote. In other news for the EHG, entries for the Aurora Brewing Challenge (ABC) will be accepted on behalf of the guild at Alley Kat during regular business hours only.
6 May 2013, 6:30pm - Brewmasters Dinner (Norway & Scotland) at Three Boars
- This is going to prove to be an epic beer-paired meal. Representatives from both the Orkney Brewery and Nøgne
Ø will be on-hand to speak about their beers which will go head-to-head for each of the four courses. Tickets are (as anyone who has visited Three Boars can guess) very limited, but as of this drafting, still available at Keg'n'Cork (780-461-0191) and Three Boars for $100 (all-inclusive) each.
6 May 2013 - Jade Dragon, Alley Kat
- The next new edition in the Dragon Series is set for release. This dragon is singled-hopped with Citra which should produce very bright citrus flavours and aromas, and in the past has been notably difficult to get! Next up in the Big Bottle Series is a White IPA (no published release date yet).
7 May 2013, 6pm - Alley Kat Cask Night at Next Act Pub
- The regularly scheduled cask night....possibly a new dragon? Details have not been released as of this drafting.
9 May 2013, 5-8pm - MS BBQ Fundraiser at Alley Kat
- The annual Alley Kat bbq in support of the MS Society will be serving burgers and beers for $5 at the brewery! Do you really need a better reason to go for a beer and burger?
17 May 2013, 6-10pm - Cookies and Beer Pairing
- Taking place at the Petroleum Club, ($50 per person, available here
) this is a beer and food pairing isn't obvious, but it sure does sound tasty! Tasty desserts and tasty beers. This event is in support of the Northern Alberta Ronald McDonald House.
23 May 2013, 6pm - Alley Kat Cask Night at Sugarbowl
- The regularly scheduled cask night. Details have not been released as of this drafting.
23 May 2013, 6pm - Underground Tap Takeover Series
- Paddock Wood of Saskatoon is taking the show on the road and is taking over a selection of the taps at the Underground from 23 May - 26 May. No listing yet of what will be on tap, though there are rumors... Check their facebook page for the latest updates.
28 May 2013, 7pm - Edmonton Beer Geeks Anonymous
- This month we'll be having an all IPA tap line-up and will be pre-selling tickets for EBGA Cask Day 2013
. See details above.
Also, at some yet-to-be announced date this month, Edmonton will be seeing the opening of Beer Revolution
. Located in Oliver Square - essentially next door to the existing Brewsters location where Gunther creates amazing beers. Once they announce a date we'll let you know. For now, look to their social media and website for details.