Montgomery County is a “sanctuary” county, which means our county police will play no role in enforcing federal immigration law, and that is significant. But the county can go much further than that, and pass model local ordinances to prohibit or limit law enforcement engagement in:
- discriminatory profiling
- intelligence-sharing with federal authorities
- undercover infiltration of activist groups and religious institutions
- cooperation with military personnel
- over-policing or restricting protests
- prying into social media accounts
MCCRC will work with allies in the county to customize these model legislative proposals, which were drafted by the Bill of Rights Defense Committee/Defending Dissent Foundation.