March 2012 / #10
Reaching Out to Developing Countries
CIE successfully launched its Associate Member Programme
The Programme shall enable developing and newly industrializing countries to participate in the work of the CIE and to benefit fully from its International Standards and its scientific expertise.
The CIE Associate Member Programme enables and encourages the participants to adopt, use and promote CIE Technical Reports and International Standards in their countries.
Benefits of participation in the CIE Associate Member Programme:
• Access to CIE technical documents in electronic format;
• Selection of 5 free International Standards and publications (tailored to your immediate needs); and significant discount on all other new standards published each year (membership discount is at 66,7%);
CIE Training Programme
Each new Technical Report and Standard of the CIE will be complemented by a Training Unit. You can join in either in real life or via our live streaming facility or download the recorded and edited version at later point at your convenience.
for participation in real life, our live streaming facility is readily available via this link
. Please, note: places are limited and will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis. Registration for both, real life and live streaming, is open till April 30, 2012.
Price: EUR 600,-- + 20% VAT. (On discounts for students and corporate packages for companies please contact the CIE Central Bureau at firstname.lastname@example.org).
CIE Introductory Tutorial and Expert Workshop on Mesopic Photometry, 24-25 January 2012
More than 50 delegates took part in this meeting, either in person at the CIE Central Bureau or on-line via the new live streaming facility. They were treated to an excellent series of talks by leading experts in the field of mesopic photometry, covering topics ranging from the development of the CIE system for mesopic photometry (CIE Publication 191:2010) through to its practical implementation in areas such as lighting of roads at night, and including associated issues such as measurement, the physiology of the eye, and the new CIE supplementary system for photometry based on brightness (CIE Publication 200:2011). The programme also included two extended discussion sessions, which provided the opportunity for delegates and presenters to explore some of the open questions regarding the implementation of CIE 191 into lighting practice.
Call for Experts for new Technical Committees
JTC 001 Title: Standard on Mesopic Photometry and Guidelines for Defining Photometric Values in the Mesopic Region
ToR: To investigate adaptation and viewing conditions and define visual adaptation fields in outdoor lighting.
To define lighting applications where mesopic photometry could be used.
To provide guidelines for implementing mesopic photometry in outdoor lighting.
• Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology
• Botswana Bureau of Standards
• Association Congolaise de Normalisation
• Eritrean Standards Institution
• Ethiopia Standards Agency
• Grenada Bureau of Standards
• Jordan Institution for Standards and Metrology
• National Institute for Standardization and Metrology of Moldova
• Rwanda Bureau of Standards
• Seychelles Bureau of Standards
• St. Lucia Bureau of Standards
• National Institute of Metrology, Thailand
• Instituto Uruguayo de Normas Tecnicas
Basic Supportive Member
• CEMDAG Aydinlatma San.ve.TIC.AS, Turkey
Work in Progress
CIE Draft Standard in NC commenting stage:
• Characterization of the Performance of Illuminance and Luminance Meters (TC 2-40) (Deadline 2012-08-05)
CIE Enquiry Draft Standard that has passed BA and Division commenting stage:
• Colorimetry – Part 6: CIEDE2000 Colour-Difference Formula (TC 1-57)
CIE Approval Draft Technical Report in BA and Division ballot:
• A Computerized Approach to Transmission and Absorption Characteristics of the Human Eye (TC 6-15) (Deadline 2012-03-29)
For Your Diary
2012 April 17-19, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2012 September 10-12, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
CIE Division 4-5 and Related Technical Committee Meetings
2012 September 15-18, Hangzhou, China
CIE Lecture on Photometry, Colorimetry, Metrology and Standards for SSL and LED Lightings
2012 September 19-21, Hangzhou, China
2013 September 17-19, Krakow, Poland