January 13, 2021
Conference Sunday 2021- Feb. 14th
Is your congregation interested in participating in the second annual Conference Sunday? We are excited to share a number of Conference Sunday Resources with you including children’s worship resources by Sharon Yoder and a sermon by Dan Miller! Those who would like to participate are welcome to use as many of these as are helpful. If you have any questions, please contact the conference office.
Access the resources here: https://im.mennonite.net/2021-conference-sunday/
Widerstand’s Anti-racism Training
IMMC offers financial support for congregations using Widerstand’s online Anti-racism training.
For congregations who purchase one-year access to Widerstand Consulting’s online Anti-Racism curriculum, IMMC offers a two-stage reimbursement. A check for $100 will be sent when a congregation informs the office they have purchased access. A check for $150 will be sent when the congregation’s leadership team sends the plan developed through the curriculum. Cost for the curriculum varies according to congregational size. The cost for a year’s access to the online curriculum for a congregation of 100 or less is $250. See info sheet for details.
* Epiphany – the revelation of God’s light in Jesus Christ.
* two Zoom meetings with pastors with the question “What does the church do?” focused around responding to COVID-19 realities.
* energetic conversation in a group of Michigan Pastors and Leaders reading The Post-Black & Post-White Church: Becoming the Beloved Community in a Multi-Ethnic World, by Efrem Smith. This group meets monthly by Zoom.
* the first meeting of Annual Sessions planners in December. This group meets for a second meeting on January 16. Anna Board and Dan Miller are supporting their work.
* Missional Leadership Team’s presentation of Sharon Yoder as one of two co-conference pastors, and the search committee beginning the search for the second person.
* the work of Leadership Enhancement Team (LET). Leadership Enhancement Team attends to the development of pastors and leaders through support of Journey: A Missional Leadership Development Program, a yearly retreat for pastors, congregational coaches to work with pastors and congregations to cultivate a culture of mission-oriented churches. It supports pastors committed to continuing development through the Framework for Pastoral Growth. LET works closely with Ministry Credentialing Team.
* Dan Miller meets with Mid-States Leadership on February 8 by Zoom. This group meets twice a year and is made up of conference minister and moderator from IMMC, Central District Conference, Illinois Conference, and Ohio Conference.
* The next Journey Weekend Learning Event takes place January 29-31 on Zoom. Dan Miller and Chris Kauffman (LET) represent IMMC on the Journey board. IMMC currently has two individuals in the program. Who in your congregation might want to develop their leadership or explore a call to ministry?
* Sharon Yoder joined the quarterly meeting for transitional and interim pastors, via zoom, on December 8, 2020.
Credentialing and Leadership Development
* Leadership Enhancement Team will hold a training for new and continuing Congregational Coaches on February 6.
* We rejoice in significant developments with a couple of pastoral searches for congregations who’ve had openings for more than two years. And we continue to watch for God’s activity.
* Belmont Mennonite Church recently called Philip Schmidt, who currently pastors at Tabor Mennonite in Newton, Kansas, to serve as Pastor of Mission, Vision, and Worship. He’ll begin in April, joining Mandy Yoder on Belmont’s pastoral team.
* We invite your prayers for congregations with recent or upcoming pastoral leadership changes: Waterford (death of Terry Zehr), Parkview (resignation of Mark Stahl), Berkey Avenue (resignation of Dan Schrock), and Holdeman (resignation of Randy Detweiler).
This month was an example of how or income varies quite a bit from month to month. Thank you for your generosity in December. You contributed $35,655 for the month of December which was $15,759 above expectations. For the year to date that was $2,034 below expectations but $8,185 above expenses
Bethany Christian Schools, Updates
Employment opportunities: Bethany Christian Schools is currently accepting applications for four, full-time positions: Third Grade Teacher, Art Teacher, Director of Enrollment, and Evening Custodians.
More information on the positions is available here: https://www.bethanycs.net/apps/pages/employment
Updates from Amigo
- RETREAT TO AMIGO: If you are looking for a way to get out of the house and have a safe place to stay, consider coming to Amigo! By using the Retreat Center and West Shore Lodge we have created six small designated suites to limit contact with people outside of your group. Meals and staff led activities available, and limited access to the Activity Center. When’s the last time you just sat and listened to the birds, Sandhill cranes and geese communicating around a lake… or watched the chipmunks and squirrels play… it’s very entertaining! Bring your family and we will provide the space for you to relax and play. Call 269-651-2811 or email us at email@example.com
- Schoolgirl Sampler Quilt Workshop…scheduled for a small group of quilters (two groups of five maximum) is scheduled for February 25-28, 2021 at Amigo. Led by Janis Nelson and Marie Troyer. Register through Mandy Yoder at Mandy@amigocentre.org. Check our web site under Adult Programs, Scrapbooking retreats for more details: https://www.amigocentre.org/scrap-craft–quilt-retreat.html There is a specific brochure for this event. Call or email with questions.
- April 12, 19, 26, 2020, an online Transitional Ministry Training will be held for individuals interested in pursuing this type of ministry. Transitional ministry offers a unique gift in a congregation’s life. Whether a change in pastor comes because of conflict, retirement, shrinking numbers and weariness, or questions of congregational viability, transitional ministry walks alongside a congregation while it answers questions of mission, courage and transformation. Visit tmt.amigocentre.org for additional information, or contact Amigo Centre at 269.651.2811 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- SAVE THE DATE! 24th Annual Amigo Centre Golf Scramble will be June 5, 2021 at 8 am. Registration to come soon. If you are interested in joining and want registration information feel free to contact Amigo Centre at 269-651-2811 to have your name added to the list.
- Summer Camp 2021 registration is open! Also, if you’re 18 or older we have started our summer staff recruiting. Let us know if you’re interested in working as a counselor or providing leadership to our programming. Contact email@example.com more information.
- Scrapbooking, Crafting and Sewing retreat update: we are currently only able to accommodate small groups. Instead of our normal large gatherings, the scheduled dates are limited due to providing all participants with a single room. We set groups of friends up in smaller areas to work (masks are still required inside). Dates outside our already scheduled retreats are possible! Call for availability – 269-651-2811.
- Amigo Bike Michiana scheduled for October 8-10, 2021. Our speaker will be Dr. Sibonokuhle Ncube, founding Executive Director/National Coordinator of the Brethren in Christ Compassionate and Development Services in Zimbabwe, currently studying at AMBS. In fall of 2018, Dr. Ncube was part of a Global South Voice Speaking Tour of the Great Lakes region, co-sponsored by MCC and the Center for Sustainable Climate Solutions. Here’s a story about our project: https://mcc.org/stories/addressing-conflict-caused-limited-resource Visit our web site for registration and additional information.
Amigo Programming Updates
- Women and Girls’ Retreat –March 19-21, 2021 has been cancelled. We have plans in process for a new date in 2022.
Mennonite Education Agency: Executive Director search
“After serving at the helm of Mennonite Education Agency (MEA) since its formation in 2002, Carlos Romero completed his tenure as executive director in July 2019. Tom Stuckey has served as interim executive director since that time. At its meeting in October 2020, the MEA board of directors approved the formation of a search committee to seek Romero’s successor.
The search committee is gathering information from constituents about the qualifications they desire for the next MEA executive director. An electronic survey may be requested by contacting Jolene
VonGunten at firstname.lastname@example.org. An agency profile and job description can be found at the MEA website: www.mennoniteeducation.org/Resources/News.
Constituents are also invited to offer names of persons the search committee might invite to consider this role. Basic contact and context information will be appreciated. Please email the search committee at email@example.com.
In addition to providing feedback and names, the search committee requests ongoing prayer to guide this discernment process.”- Excerpt from Executive Director Search news release
Read the full Executive Director Search news release 2021-Jan
Executive Director Agency Profile – Job Description