August 12, 2021
Loving your neighbor during COVID
Many of us embraced hope when the COVID vaccine became available; the protection offered new possibilities for how to interact during this pandemic. Now the Delta variant creates new challenges. COVID transmission in most of Indiana and Michigan is high or substantial and vaccinated persons can spread this new variant. At the IMMC office, we are exercising new caution with physical distancing and mask wearing. We encourage you to join us in considering ways to love and protect yourselves and your neighbors.
Resource available from MennoMedia
MennoMedia is offering the “What Now?” series designed specifically for pastors as they navigate the challenges and opportunities that have emerged as a result of the global pandemic. In August, September, and October subscribers will receive an email every other week with links to practical resources, worship helps, downloadable PDFs, shareable images, a mini-series of -ing podcast, and more. There will be monthly practical resources in each of the following areas: Worship, Connection, Faith Formation, Sustain Leaders, Community Engagement, and Navigating Polarization. Click HERE to sign up to receive these FREE resources.
SAVE THE DATE – Pastors Gathering November 8-10
Plan now to join us for this time of retreat and fellowship at Amigo Centre. We will continue to monitor the COVID requirements and plan accordingly. Watch for more details to come soon!
* Joanne Gallardo and Sharon Yoder are both in the office now and are beginning their work as our conference ministers.
* Missional Leadership Team (MLT) will meet August 20-21 at Amigo Centre for their Annual planning retreat. We invite your prayers for this gathering. May God’s Spirit guide fellowship and vision for “Growing our Intercultural Witness.”
* David Ngoletha, from Mara Christian Church of America, Indianapolis, said yes to the invitation to join the Missional Leadership Team. We are grateful for his interest and commitment to joining the work of setting vision and direction for IN-MI Mennonite Conference.
* The IRS approved the determination letter for La Posada Immigrant Aid, a ministry of Piedra Viva Mennonite Church. La Posada provides immigration resources and referrals in a faith-based context. See more about their program here: Home | La Posada Immigrant Aid. Contact Pastor Naun Cerrato if you have interest in joining this ministry in some way.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
* IMMC staff and East Goshen Mennonite Church staff have begun meeting weekly for coffee. Moving from quick chatter in the hallway to intentional conversation at the table has been meaningful. And the snacks have been nourishing too!
* Joanne, along with Conference Moderator Brenda Hostetler Meyer, met via zoom with Mid-States Conference Leadership on Monday afternoon August 9. Leaders from Ohio, Illinois, Central District, and IN-MI participate in this gathering.
Credentialing and Leadership Development
* Sophie Lapp Jost was licensed for ministry by Sharon Yoder at College Mennonite on August 8 for pastoral ministry. Sophie is serving as pastor at Bammental Mennonite in Germany through an appointment with Mennonite Mission Network.
* Phil Waite recently accepted the call to serve as congregational coach at Kern Road Mennonite.
Thanks to your generosity we begin the year with our monthly income at $7,930 above expenses even though our contributions were $1,320 below expectations. Our expenses for August will be higher as some expenses that should have come in July will not come until August. Thus our expenses were $9,250 less than expected. –Jim Norton, Bookkeeper
Updates from Amigo Centre
- Amigo Centre is looking for their next Executive Director. Qualified applicants will have a passion for transformative faith experiences, demonstrate leadership gifts and love working with people. Amigo Centre is a Mennonite camp and retreat center located in Sturgis MI, about 50 minutes from Goshen IN. Letters of interest and resumes can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. A job description can be found at amigocentre.org/employment.
- We continue to celebrate 50 years of Outdoor Environmental Education at Amigo. Check our website for additional details for ways you can come celebrate with us this summer! https://www.amigocentre.org/oee-50th-anniversary-calendar-of-events.html
- Scrapbooking, Crafting and Sewing Retreats, scheduled for September 24-27 and December 2-8, 2021, are still on, but we have limited the capacity until closer to the date to know what the impact of the pandemic restrictions are. In addition, as we have cancellations of large groups, we can hold smaller groups at additional times. Watch for more information on our Facebook page, web site, or by email if you are signed up to receive notifications. Thank you for your patience! Contact Mandy@amigocentre.org if you have questions.
- Amigo Bike Michiana scheduled for October 8-10, 2021. Our speaker will be Dr. Sibonokuhle Ncube, founding Executive Director/National Coordinator of the Brethren in Christ Compassionate and Development Services in Zimbabwe, currently studying at AMBS. In fall of 2018, Dr. Ncube was part of a Global South Voice Speaking Tour of the Great Lakes region, co-sponsored by MCC and the Center for Sustainable Climate Solutions. Here’s a story about our project: https://mcc.org/stories/addressing-conflict-caused-limited-resource. Visit our web site for registration and additional information.
- Save the Date: Amigo Women and Girls Retreat is scheduled for March 18-20, 2021. Speaker is Leandrea Lange from New Foundation United in Christ Fellowship, Elkhart, Indiana. Additional information will be coming soon.
- Transitional ministry has a unique place in the mission of the church. While “interim pastors” have provided preaching and pastoral care for many years, “transitional ministry” involves training to lead congregations through a process of preparation for entering a new chapter of leadership. October 18-20, 2021, Amigo Centre will host a Transitional Ministry Training retreat for individuals interested in pursuing this type of ministry. Visit http://tmt.amigocentre.org/ for additional information, or contact Amigo Centre at 269.651.2811.
Bethany Christian Schools
Bethany Christian Schools is seeking persons to assist in our cafeteria. Our school aspires to incorporate food services into the educational program by producing meals with healthy, fresh local foods. The cafeteria is part of our farm-to-school program in which students engage in hands-on learning through gardening and participate in educational activities related to agriculture, health and nutrition. No experience is necessary, though candidates that enjoy the school setting and have an interest in from-scratch cooking are encouraged to apply. For more information or to apply, direct inquiries to Tara Swartzendruber-Landis at email@example.com.