Celebrating Earth Day
Here are 10 ways to celebrate Earth Day.
1. EarthFair 2015 Balboa Park, April 19 - 10am-5pm, 1549 El Prado, San Diego 92169
2. Plant a tree - Planting trees helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, cleans pollution, secures soil in place to prevent erosion and provides homes for a lot of biodiversity.
3. Make nature crafts at school or home. You can also go to your local Home Depot on Saturday mornings to wood working craft.
4. Visit your local library and get books on the environment.
5. Reduce, reuse and recycle all day long. But as little as possible and avoid items that come in lots of packaging. Support local growers and producers of food and product - these don't have to travel as far and so reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Take your drink container with you and don't use any disposable plates or cutlery. Recycle all the things you do use for the day or find other uses for things that you no longer use. Carry a cloth bag for carrying things in and recycle your plastic bags.
6. Learn about product exchange communities like Freecycle and other alternatives.
7. Wash your car using a bucket rather than the hose. Drive the car onto grass for cleaning, so that the water you do use also waters the grass.
8. Ride your bike. Use your bicycle or other forms of human powered transportation to commute to work or school and to run errands.
9. Cook a special Earth Day meal. Plan a menu that uses locally grown produce, is healthy and has minimal impact on the environment. Favor vegetable and bean products, as these use less resources to grow than mass-farmed meat.
10. Sing or listen to "Earth" songs. There are many Earth Day song lyrics available on the Internet. Many follow well-known tunes.