June already. It's been a super busy year so far. That word 'busy'. Sometimes used as a denominator of success. When I'm deep in that zone I make time to step back and reflect on what's been achieved, where I'm putting my time and energies, and what I need to do differently. It's all too easy to let the 'busyness as usual' take over instead of focusing on the right things to achieve the right results.
So with that in mind I kicked off the year undertaking further professional accreditation that will add to the suite of tools I use in my business. For me the tools I use need to be internationally recognised, robust, research based, reliable and easy to use & understand. Extended DISC®
ticked all those boxes. I talk a bit more about Extended DISC®
in this newsletter. I've also done a quick overview of employee engagement, the four enablers and what engaged people do differently.
Stay warm this winter. I'm off to the USA in August. By the time I return Spring will be here!
A better way to Work
. The term has been around since the mid-90’s when Sears found a direct line of sight between engaged employees and engaged (loyal) customers. Research shows that organisations with high levels of employee engagement are more efficient and effective
, and that highly engaged employees:
- are more customer focused, find they are more creative at work, and take less time off sick;
- care about the future of their organisation and put in greater effort to help it meet its objectives;
- feel proud of the organisation they work for and are inspired to do their best and motivated to deliver the organisation’s objectives.
Engaging employees is about what you do and how you do it. Great leadership, positive and inclusive culture, meaningful work, development, people involvement and participation are all key building blocks.
Here’s some tips from one guy who wants more from his work.
4 Enablers ... of high performing workplaces
Clear direction :
visible, empowering leadership providing a clear strategic narrative about the organisation, where it’s come from and where it’s going.
who focus their people and give them scope, treat their people as individuals and coach and stretch their people.
throughout the organisation, for reinforcing and challenging views. Employees are seen not as the problem, rather as central to the solution, to be involved, listened to, and invited to contribute their experience, expertise and ideas.
: the values on the wall are reflected in day to day behaviours. There is no disconnect between what you ‘say’ and ‘do’. Promises made and promises kept, or an explanation given as to why not.
What do engaged employees do differently?
- Helping others with workloads
- Volunteering for additional duties
- Loyal to team, organisation and role
- Looking for ways to perform the job more effectively
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Good attendance and timekeeping
- Get it right for the customer
- Go the extra mile
- “Physically present, psychologically absent”
- Poor customer focus
- What can I take rather than what can I give
- Do the minimum
- Negative about organisation, team and role
- Somebody else’s problem
- Takes ‘sickies’
If you want support on how to create a culture that brings out the best in your people and allows them to shine we can help you.
Tools that change how staff communicate, behave and work together
With the addition of Extended DISC®
to our services we’ve added to our suite of internationally recognised tools that help organisations, people leaders and people at all levels achieve their best.
is an internationally recognised and validated behavioural assessment tool based on the DISC theory of psychologist William Moulton Marston, which centers on four different behavioral traits, which today are called: Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Compliance. Used the world over Extended DISC®
is an online psychometric questionnaire developed to extend our understanding of human behaviour. By taking profiling further, Extended DISC®
is used to maximise staff development. You can use it at an organisational, team and individual level.
- Reports are easy-to-read, reliable and give new insights into an individual or a team.
- Provides a common language to help teams understand one another and work better together
- Acts as springboard for conversation and team building
- Improves employee and workplace communication
- Helps you to understand others who are less like you .... or are too much like you
- Reduces conflict and avoids misunderstanding
- Improve individual and team effectiveness and performance
- Nurture and retain talent
- Develop leadership at every level of an organisation
- Get the right people, with the right skills in the right seats
- Reduce workplace conflict
- Enhance understanding and appreciation of different styles and work preferences
To find out more about Extended DISC®
and view sample reports
Upskill your staff
Shine People designs and delivers practical courses and workshops that are aligned to your business strategy. We work with you to understand the business outcomes you are looking for and then customise our courses to suit. Every participant comes away with their own personal manual of course notes. We can also build in one-to-one coaching to ensure that the learnings are quickly put into practice, and you get ROI.
Check out our range of courses here
From the Shine Blog
From time to time we post information, tips, tools, advice & guidance on our blog page. Click here
to read more.
To have a further discussion about anything in this newsletter, or for a general chat about anything people related feel free to contact us at Shine People
. We love to hear from you.