Hello, Co-op friends and fans!
We're so delighted for our new farmer friends, Farmer Pam of Calvert Farms and Flower Farmer Kim of Castlebridge Farm. These two will be bringing us the wonderful "fruits" of their labors every week! Look for all kinds of vegetable starter plants (including asparagus and onions), and herbs from Calvert Farms ready for planting and wonderful premium local floral bouquets from Kim and family.
There's nothing better than this wonderful abundance of spring from local farms and we intend to keep "growing" more local at the Co-op with your support!
As Earth Day and Earth Month pass on by I'd be remiss to not mention our incredible Co-op Rays on the Roof project that has helped make our store much more green! Our community, members, and the State of Maryland all played a role in getting our solar array installed last year and we've been partly solar powered at the Co-op now since December! This community project makes a positive difference for the environment. Thank you to the planners, builders, and financial supporters of Rays on the Roof at your Co-op!
Loving Mother's Day
Mother's Day is coming up and Co-op is here to help you celebrate your Mom. Here are a few things moms would LOVE to receive that you can get from the Co-op:
- Plants and Flowers - grown by from Farmer Pam and Farmer Kim.
- Greeting Cards - including handmade cards by local artists and cards that are emblazoned with Greenbelt, MD on them. Don't forget to mail them early since postal service is still reportedly slower than normal.
- Breakfast or Brunch in Bed - If you're a kid (or a partner to a mom with kids) how about a special surprise of being served a thoughtful meal in bed? Littler kids can totally handle making toast and jam and a glass of juice. Older kids can make toaster waffles, avocado toast, Pillsbury cinnamon rolls or biscuits, and teens can totally rock the pancakes or French toast. Moms would LOVE this if you haven't done it before! Co-op has you covered!
- Mother's Day Dinner - We're going to offer a special dinner made in the Co-op Deli for Mother's Day - Penne Pasta Alfredo with kale and chicken. It's a PRE-ORDER ONLY meal for pickup between 4-6:30 pm. More details next week.
- Wine and champagne - how about a MOMmosa? Prosecco or champagne and some OJ makes a nice light drink for mom.
- And of course, you can't really go wrong with chocolate and we have a bunch of yummy chocolate, including several Fair Trade varieties to show mom you care.
(We know that Mother's Day can be difficult for some folks for a variety of very valid reasons. Take care of yourself on May 9, we care about you.)
Cinco de Mayo is coming
We don't need an excuse but May 5, is a great opportunity to indulge in all of our Mexican food favorites! Guacamole, salsa and chips, fajitas, tacos, and more! The Deli will be having a variety of Mexican favorites including an expanded Taco offering! It's Taco Tuesday but more and on Wednesday. (Don't worry, we'll still have Taco Tuesday like normal, too.) The special Cinco de Mayo foods will be available all day on the hot food bar. (Note: We're still offering our regular chicken meal deals that day, too.)
Update on the vaccine at Co-op
The FDA and CDC have lifted the recommended pause on the Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine use following a thorough safety review. The Co-op Pharmacy is accepting appointments once again. We are using the on-line scheduler to schedule appointments, currently prioritizing our 65+ neighbors. If you need a vaccine go here: Contact-free - Blog | PrescribeWellness
. Please note your appointment is not confirmed until the Pharmacy contacts you and confirms your appointment..
Remember, face coverings are still required every time you're in the Co-op and it must cover your nose and mouth.
Meatless Monday - Join the Plant-based Revolution and eat less meat deliciously! Each Monday the Deli makes up a yummy meal for just $7.99. Monday, May 3, is Macro Vegetarian Cashew Carbonara with Tofurky Italian Sausage and a side salad. This creamy, cheesy but totally vegan dish is really great.
Wednesday is our Ultimate Chicken Meal deal: dinner for TWO, with 4-pieces of roasted chicken, 2-small sides of YOUR CHOICE, plus 2-soft rolls for only $4.99, or the all-time favorite FAMILY Chicken Meal Deal, with 8-pieces of roasted chicken, 4-soft rolls, and 2-large sides: mac 'n cheese and a choice of potato salad or coleslaw for only $6.99!
Fish Friday continues to feature a generous helping of Salmon baked in Himalayan pink sea salt and garlic butter, with steamed broccoli and brown rice for just $7.99.
Each meal is available for pickup from 4-7 pm at the Deli. Walk-ins are welcomed, but if you want to secure a meal for certain, call to reserve 301-474-0522, by 1 pm on each day of pickup.
Have a wonderful week, see you at the Co-op!
Greenbelt Co-op GM and E-mail Guy