Hello, Co-op friends and fans!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
We like to celebrate food holidays and even though Cinco de Mayo isn't actually Mexican Independence Day like a lot of folks think (that's Sept. 16), we can still have fun and honor the great food traditions that come from Mexico. For fun you can check out this article about how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo without acting like a jerk. How to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo Without Being an Ignorant Jerk (lifehacker.com)
. We've got some good choices for you on Wednesday, May 5:
Co-op Garden Center
- Avocados galore and pre-made guacamole and fresh salsa and chips!
- Corona beer and limes
- The Deli is offering a bunch of Mexican themed items on the hot food bar all day including - enchiladas, tacos, and more!
Teddy and the Produce team have it looking like a greenhouse or conservatory around here these days! From the ramp and into the store we've got an awesome bounty of plants, flowers, herbs, and flowering plants for you to choose from.
Calvert Farms herbs and starter plants are coming weekly from Farmer Pam. These are grown with organic methods and include: mints, oregano, basils, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, tomatoes, and more!
Flower Farmer Kim from Castlebridge Farm in Ellicott City is bringing us exquisite bouquets of her local beauties each week and we'll have nice big bunches for Mom or yourself!
We also have a big assortment of other flowers and plants for you to enjoy and we even have organic potting soil if you need it! Keep an eye out all gardening season for new stuff!
The Greenbelt Farmer's Market starts up this weekend and we're excited! Did you know that Co-op has been a long time supporter and fan of the Market? Yep, it's true and we encourage you to come out to the farmer's market and get what's available, then come to the Co-op for everything else you need! Shop local direct from the farmer and then from us, the next best thing!
Happy Mother's Day
Speaking of moms - treat yours this weekend, won't you? We can help with:
- Fair trade chocolate from Equal Exchange or Alter Eco - their truffles are SUPER good!
- Cakes or cookies from the Deli bakery
- Local Hummingbird Farms CBD bath bombs or other luxurious bath treats
- Or maybe mama needs some wine or a MOMmosa? We can help with sparkling wines or rosés!
- We've got a special dinner planned for mom in the Deli. Alfredo Penne and Kale with Chicken and Garlic Bread. A very generous portion available hot and ready to eat on Sunday, May 9, for $9.99. Rich and cheesy but with a nice kale twist! Pre-ordering is required on this special meal, so call the Deli by 1 p.m. on Sunday to reserve your Mother's Day dinner. Then pick up dinner between 4:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Tell your mom you cooked it yourself, we won't mind!
We're getting a pretty steady flow of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine these days. Use our online scheduler Contact-free - Blog | PrescribeWellness
, call (301-474-4400), or come in to schedule an appointment to get one, and spread the word! Anyone 18+ is eligible for the vaccine.
May is Fair Trade Month
It's Fair Trade Month and we're fast becoming your go to place to help make sure that your purchases make a positive difference in the lives of the grower and their community.
Deli cooks and it's real tasty!
- La Riojana Co-op to Co-op Fair Trade wine is a Co-op EXCLUSIVE! This good drinking wine makes a big positive impact on the community of La Rioja province in Argentina. Watch this video, but warning you'll need a Kleenex! La Riojana Co op and Food Co-op Impact - YouTube.
- Equal Exchange coffee, chocolate, bananas, and tea. EE is a worker co-op and a leader and founder of the Fair Trade movement.
- Dr. Bronner- All One! Excellent body care products and Fair Trade leaders.
- Alter Eco- award winning Fair Trade chocolate.
We're fixing to spice things up around here with a Nashville Hot Chicken meal on Thursday, May 13. We'll have this nice and spicy roasted chicken available for you all day long for $6.99. If you all love it we may make it a regular item. Feel free to pre-order yours the day before (5/12), so we can have it prepped for you. Don't forget to add your own sides or a salad whatever you like, à la carte style.
Go meatless on Monday with the Co-op. Meatless Monday is a growing trend and we help by serving up a yummy and hot meal for you each week. May 10, is everyone's favorite Dodah's Kitchen Spinach Lasagna and side salad for just $7.99. Dodah's out of Baltimore and Mount Rainier cook up a delicious completely plant-based lasagna that is rich and delicious. You will not miss the dairy or meat, I promise!
Wednesday is our Ultimate Chicken Meal deal: dinner for TWO, with 4-pieces of roasted chicken, 2-small sides of YOUR CHOICE, plus 2-soft rolls for only $4.99, or the all-time favorite FAMILY Chicken Meal Deal, with 8-pieces of roasted chicken, 4-soft rolls, and 2-large sides: mac 'n cheese and a choice of potato salad or coleslaw for only $6.99!
Fish Friday continues to feature our most popular dinner of the week which is a generous helping of Salmon baked in Himalayan pink sea salt and garlic butter, with steamed broccoli and brown rice for just $7.99.
Each meal is available for pickup from 4-7 pm at the Deli. Walk-ins are welcomed, but if you want to secure a meal for certain, call to reserve 301-474-0522, by 1 pm on each day of pickup.
Making a Splash with Seafood!
We're having a one day Seafood Fest on Thursday, May 20, from 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. We'll transform the front area near Produce into a neighborhood fishmonger for the day! You won't need your fishing pole, but it'll be just that fresh! Look for fresh Cod Fillets, Littleneck Clams, Sea Scallops, and more! I'll post a full list in the next weekly email.
Have a great week! I continue to see and meet more and more of you in person. Don't be shy, say hi, unless I beat you to it!
Greenbelt Co-op GM and E-mail Guy