Call to Artists: RapidRide Expansion Limited Edition ORCA Cards
- Budget: $2,000 per artist [budget is inclusive of artist design, use fee including rights-of-reproduction, and applicable taxes]
- Project term: June—September 2021
- Eligibility: young people (age 16–25) residing in King, Kitsap, Mason, Pierce, Snohomish, Thurston, and Whatcom Counties and who identify as visual or graphic artists are eligible to apply. Applicants may be pursuing education and/or a career in the arts, but this is not a requirement. In fact, artists with non-traditional and out-of-school training are encouraged to apply. Artists must be able to share a portfolio of 6 work samples created in the last three years in order to be considered.
- Application: submission of an online application is required for this opportunity.
- Deadline: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 by 4:00 pm PDT
4Culture, in partnership with King County Metro Transit, seeks three emerging artists to create original artwork to be featured on limited-edition ORCA cards that will celebrate and inaugurate each new line in the RapidRide Expansion program.
For each of the three new lines, one young artist (age 16–25) will be selected to create 2D artwork unique to the identity of that corridor. The 3 selected artists will become part of a cohort advised by a Mentor Artist identified by 4Culture staff. This Mentor Artist will assist the cohort in thinking about how their artwork responds to place, advise on technical requirements for artwork reproduction, and provide support for artwork review with the 4Culture Public Art Advisory Committee (PAAC) and County partners.
To the extent possible, 4Culture will seek to recruit artists with personal connections to the places, contexts and culture specific to each RapidRide line. Applicants should indicate if they have interest in creating artwork for a specific line, and why, or state general interest in any of the three lines within their Statement of Interest.