Please Like us and get news & updates
FLOOD FERC WITH COMMENTS
... AND JOIN THE PICKET LINE
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has concluded that Dominion's plans to liquefy and export fracked gas from Cove Point won't harm the environment. It's our turn to let FERC know what we think about this climate-disrupting plan. Please submit comments here, and share the link with your friends. Deadline for comments is June 16 (unless FERC grants an extension). Please also join the midday picket line in front of FERC's DC headquarters during the week of June 23 -27. Sign up for one or more days here. At the public hearing in Lusby on May 31, we told FERC that Cove Point would bring more fracking, pipelines and compressor stations. Read about the hearing here
. Our testimony is here
. More info on the danger to Lusby residents is here
. Even the EPA has asked for an extra 30 days to consider FERC's environmental review of Cove Point.
RALLY AGAINST COVE POINT
Stop fracked-gas exports
Sunday, July 13
Rally and March to Stop Fracked Gas Exports
Thousands of activists from around the region will march to FERC headquarters in Washington, DC, on Sunday, July 13, to say NO to Cove Point. Speakers include Mike Tidwell, Sandra Steingraber and Tim DeChristopher.
We will tell FERC and President Obama that we can't frack, liquefy and export our way to a safe climate -- or a clean and healthy environment.
Maryland & DC Events
Friday, June 13
Maryland Marcellus Shale advisory commission
Cumberland - Details here.
Citizen support needed.
June 22 - 24
Citizens Climate Lobby Conference in DC
Green Homes Tour
Show Off Your Green Home
Transition Howard County is planning for the 3rd annual Howard County "Green Homes Now!" Tour of sustainable homes and businesses. The tour will be held Oct. 4 and 5. These tours originally focused on solar power, and now they embrace all aspects of sustainable living. If you are interested in showcasing your home or business on either date or both dates, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Hearings on President Obama's
Proposed Carbon Rules
9 a.m., July 30, Washington, DC. Info here and here.
Comment on the proposed rules here
HoCo Climate Change members save energy by carpooling. Email us to start or join a carpool.
Save the Date
PEOPLE'S CLIMATE MARCH
Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 20-21
Sign up for this major march in New York City
that will coincide with the U.N. climate summit.
Bill McKibben's invitation is here
Climate Change News
- President Obama's climate plan was a welcome step, but he overlooked the huge problem with fracked gas.
- A new US Energy Department report, here and here, indicates that liquefying and exporting fracked gas doesn't help our climate problem one bit and squanders our resources.
- Big deal here: A federal appeals court ruled with environmentalists and against federal regulators on a NJ gas pipeline.
- Sandra Steingraber denounces fracking in her keynote speech at the New Environmentalism Summit of the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium.
- By reducing deforestation, Brazil has done more to reduce climate change than any other country.
- The Great March for Climate Action has reached Colorado (and plans to detour a bit to join the People's Climate March in September.)
Years of Living Dangerously