Fab Academy opens Node's Applications for Fab Labs interested in offering the Program. Join us!
The Fab Academy program teaches principles and applications of digital fabrication and it is based on MIT’s popular rapid-prototyping course How To Make (almost) Anything, both taught by Prof. Neil Gershenfeld.
Fab Academy offers a distributed (not distance) educational model: students learn in local workgroups, with peers, mentors, and machines, which are then connected globally by content sharing and video for interactive classes. The individual labs are supported and supervised regionally by experienced mentors and global leaders.
Each Fab Lab that participates in the Fab Academy program is part of a global Fab Academy network linking more than 70 Fab Labs throughout 6 months of project collaboration.
Fab Academy is part of the Academany, a global distributed campus for high level education, with hundreds of locations all over the world.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Those fully equipped Fab Labs that wish to be closer to the Network and to offer a program to train their local community about the applications and implications of digital fabrication and the means to create and develop personal projects.
Those Fab Labs interested in becoming a Fab Academy node must follow these requirements:
- To fill the application FORM
- Internet connection (at least 1mb upload/download).
- A common space for students to work
- Access to the Fab Lab facilities for a minimum of 20 hrs per week
- Qualified staff:
New Nodes: a local Instructor + a Remote Guru
Nodes: an Instructor with more than 2 years teaching Fab Academy.
- All the equipment and materials listed in the Fab Inventory.
New Nodes: a minimum of 3 students is mandatory.
Nodes: a minimum of 3 students is recommended.
We have introduced some changes for next cycle:
- All the payments from students will go through Central Administration. Students will not pay tuition fees to Local Labs or Intermediaries. Those Fab Labs that are part of Universities that may need a different payment model must contact Fab Academy Global Coordination.
- All payments will be done via FLYWIRE payment platform.
- Local Costs are variable, Fab Labs may recalculate their local costs to fit local prices. More info here.
Students Applications are open too! You can find the online form here.