Gallery Gachet is currently accepting proposals for our 2020-2021 exhibition calendar.
Gallery Gachet is a unique artist-run centre located in the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood of Vancouver, the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Engaging local and international communities, our programs support participants as artists, educators, and curators. We present exhibitions of relevant arts practices that demystify mental diversities, challenge stigmatization and marginalization, and promote social and economic justice. We believe that the expression and practice of art and participation in culture-building are a human right, and that art and culture are critical elements of a healthy society. For more information on Gallery Gachet’s vision and Basis of Unity, please visit http://gachet.org/about
Gallery Gachet welcomes proposals for exhibitions and projects that engage our mandate in interesting and challenging ways. We welcome work in any medium, including photography, video, performance art, drawing, installation, ceramics, textiles, community- and socially-engaged practices, and more. We accept proposals for solo, group, curated, or major exhibition projects, as well as screenings, workshops, performances, and collaborations. Themes addressed through the art work could include (but are not limited to) modes of healing, therapy, and ceremony; culture, spirit, and psyche; housing, displacement, and land restitution; neurodiversity, (dis)ability justice, and accessibility; substances, medicines, harm reduction, and safe supply; institutions and the asylum; poverty, criminalization, and marginalization; climate crisis and mental health; mad pride and the mad arts movement. We value practices emerging from lived experience and self-expression, although disclosure of personal narratives is not required. Gallery Gachet artist fees meet 2019 CARFAC rates. We provide support for openings, catering, marketing, A/V equipment, and installation for a five-week exhibition run at Gallery Gachet.
The Gallery Gachet Collective selects a jury of both internal and external artists and curators, including members of the Gallery Gachet Collective. Jurors meet in September 2019 and put forward their suggestions to the Collective for final approval. Notification of the results will be sent by September 2019.
All materials must be postmarked, dropped off, or emailed to Gallery Gachet by Friday, August 30, 2019
1. Documentation of your work or project may include but is not limited to:
• 10–20 images clearly identified with artist name, file number, and work title
• a short video that typifies your work
• audio recordings
If possible, include a corresponding list of all submissions materials, including the following information for each image/file/document: artist name(s), title of work, year of creation, dimensions, medium.
2. A written proposal describing a well-thought out theme or body of work explaining what you wish to present and any special requirements (250–500 words)
3. A CV or biography, charting your arts education and exhibitions/publications/project history. We value diverse forms of arts education and arts practices. Feel free to include workshops, mentorships, or profound/lived experiences that have led you to cultivate the work you are proposing.
4. An artist statement. Beyond the exhibition proposal, describe your practice, your interest in art/culture, and/or why your art matters to you and/or your communities.
5. A self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of submission materials (optional)
Ways to send submissions material
Work can be dropped off, mailed, or emailed to the gallery. Gallery Gachet aims to be a low barrier space and accepts proposals in many formats: paper, CD, DVD, Flash Drives and email submissions will all be accepted.
Submit materials by e-mail to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line:
YOUR NAME 2019 ANNUAL SUBMISSION
Submit materials in person or by mail to:
ATTN: 2019 Annual Submissions
9 W Hastings St
V6B 1G4 Canada