|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for May 2015
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
Government threatens collective bargaining rights in federal budget - The federal government indicated in the 2015 budget that it will eliminate the existing sick leave provisions for federal public service workers, whether or not an agreement is reached at the bargaining table. More at the national website.
We will protect our sick leave - a message from Robyn Benson.
PSAC in the news - reaction to the budget announcement
PSAC National Triennial Convention
- Delegates were united in their determination to defend workers rights, public services and human rights. More than 500 delegates spent a week debating important resolutions that will decide the future of the union and its political work, and re-elected Robyn Benson and Chris Aylward as National President and National Executive VP. A wrap-up at the national website.
- Some photos from the week here.
Boycott National Public Service Week - a message from Bob Jackson - tell the employer you can’t be bought off with burgers or cake and, instead, choose to stand united with your bargaining teams and your fellow union members!
In the wake of the toxic fuel spill in Vancouver harbor, the Public Service Alliance of Canada is calling on the government to immediately re-open Kitsilano Coast Guard Station and invest in marine safety and environmental protection.
Spotlight On: the PSAC BC Mainland Human Rights Committee - The Mainland HRC's mandate is to represent PSAC members from equity-seeking groups and to organize activism around equity issues. Read more about the HRC and how to get involved.
Tools for Stewards and Local Activists
- One of the hallmarks of a healthy democracy is the ability of all citizens to participate freely and actively in determining who they elect to govern and make decisions on their behalf. Federal government workers have this right. Download the "your political rights - use them!" handout for your worksite.
- Treasury Board - We are at the table with TB next week. Watch for updates.
- Canada Revenue Agency - PSAC and CRA are at mediation May 20 and 21. CRA members across the country took part in a national day of action on April 29th, calling on the employer to negotiate a fair settlement.
- Parks - Negotiations are scheduled for May 26th-28th. We will keep you informed.
- SSO - The new provisions of the arbitral award related to severance for retirement or resignation will require all SSO bargaining unit members (both the RO and FI units) to make an important decision in the coming year. Read more here.
- CFIA - Bargaining will begin soon and our bargaining team will provide updates each time we meet with the employer. All CFIA updates here.
Weekend Course Schedule
Duty To Accommodate - May 23
Talking Union Basics - Prince Rupert - May 23
Understanding & Interpreting the Collective Agreement - Prince Rupert - May 24
More information on all these courses and online registration at the regional website.
Meetings and Events
May 19th at lunchtime - rally for public services and collective bargaining rights! PSAC members are gathering in Vancouver (Library Square) and Esquimalt to send the government a message: we will defend workers rights and public services.
May 14th 6PM - Celebrate Asian Heritage Month. PSAC, the Union of National Employees, the BC Fed and others are partnering to host a night of short films and a panel discussion in New Westminster. Details here.
May 10-17 is the National Week of Action for Childcare - Rallies and events have been scheduled in Vancouver, Victoria, Prince Rupert, Prince George, Vernon, and Duncan (so far). Dates and locations here.
Regularly Scheduled Meetings
Vancouver Island Human Rights Committee - May 5, Victoria
West Fraser Valley Area Council - May 11, Surrey
North East Area Council AGM - May 13, Prince George
Mainland Human Rights Committee BBQ & Open House - June 16, Vancouver
More information on all of these events at the calendar.
You read all the way to the end *|FNAME|*! Did you know PSAC members get $5000 worth of free life insurance and other member benefits? Find out more here.
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc
Do you have news or know of an event that may be of interest to PSAC members? Got feedback on the newsletter? Just want to say hi? Email me back.