|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for June 2016
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
PSAC in the news
June 8th National Day of Action
- CTV Vancouver Island reported last week on problems with the federal government's new Phoenix pay system (Bob Jackson was interviewed) - here's the clip. Another report on the roll out at the Ottawa Citizen, where Robyn Benson is quoted.
- Treasury Board President Scott Brison will repeal changes the Harper government enacted that made it more difficult for federal public servants to strike by expanding the definition of what constitutes an essential service - Robyn is quoted at cbc.ca
- The federal government has agreed to pay as much as $45 million in back pay to thousands of mostly female employees at a Statistics Canada agency to settle a longstanding pay-equity complaint - “We achieved this victory because our members fought hard with us for many years and never gave up.” Robyn in the Ottawa Citizen.
We asked Bob Jackson why members are taking action on June 8th. Here's a quick video.
It’s time for all members to send a message!
- Contact your Local Executive or your Regional Office in BC to find out what is planned for your workplace on June 8th. Events are being planned across the province.
- RSVP and invite your co-workers at the facebook event page.
- On June 8th, join together with members of all federal unions and show the Liberal government you expect it to live up to its promise of respect.
- Let's show the rest of the country and the Liberal government that members in BC are strong and united and that we expect a fair contract from our employers!
- Take some photos of your event and email them to BraggP@psac-afpc.com
- Tag PSAC BC in your photos on facebook or instagram, or tweet @psacbc
- The 2016 PSAC B.C. Regional Women’s Conference, will be held Friday, September 23 to Sunday, September 25, 2016 at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, in Richmond, under the theme “Empowering Each Other – Moving Forward to Move Up”. More info and online registration.
- The first ever PSAC BC Regional Conference for Racially Visible Members was held May 13 through 15 under the theme “Race Forward: Our Union, Our Community, Our Future!”. Thirty-five PSAC members gathered in Vancouver over the weekend to discuss, strategize and mobilize on issues impacting racially visible members in BC, share experiences and network, and empower and inspire themselves and others to become active in our union, our community, and our workplaces. A report and some photos at the regional website.
PSAC in the Community
- Volunteers needed! Fusion Festival in Holland Park is a celebration of music, food, and culture that takes place July 23rd and 24th. PSAC BC and other unions are joining forces to host an info booth in the vendors area. As we've done for the past several years, we'll be raising the profile of our union by talking to the public and other PSAC members about our work. These events are always fun, and are a great way to meet your fellow union members and members of the public. We still need some volunteers to help staff the booth. It's a great way to show the public the value of the services federal public sector workers provide and meet members of our Union. More info here.
National Public Service Week
Tools and Resources for Locals and Stewards
- We've added new grievance flowcharts for CHMC Granville Island, First Nations Health Authority and Nav Canada to the website.
- Treasury Board: Our Treasury Board teams are back at the bargaining table starting June 18. We'll keep you up to date.
- CRA: Settlement ratification votes are taking place across the province. Visit the UTE website for news and more information about the process.
- CFIA: Bargaining is scheduled for June 7-9. We'll keep you up to date.
- Canada Post: We are preparing for the upcoming round of bargaining. Watch for updates at the national website.
- SSO: Bargaining dates are being scheduled.
- IMP Group, Comox: We have advised the employer that we are applying for arbitration. This decision was made by the negotiating team after the employer refused to respond, in any way, to our financial proposals.
- Parks: Bargaining dates are being formulated, in the meantime: the PSAC and employer proposals are at the national website.
- Commissionaires, Vancouver Island: Due to an issue with the employer bargaining has been pushed back to the Fall.
- Prince George Airport: Bargaining is ongoing. Contact your Local Executive for more information.
- Nordion: We met with the employer May 17th. Contact your Local Executive for more information.
- Victoria Airport: The new collective agreement was ratified last week.
The Spring 2016 Course Schedule has concluded. Watch for more courses coming in the Fall.
Meetings and Events
Vancouver Area Council meeting - June 9
The PSAC BC Mainland Human Rights Committee invites all members to join us for our open house and National Aboriginal Day celebration.
Let’s celebrate with friends, food and guest speakers. We will feast on barbecued salmon and bannock, while learning about human rights and the original people of this continent. Our feature speaker at the event will be Tamara Starblanket. June 21st, starting at 6PM. More details & please RSVP.
Batter up! PSAC BC's annual softball tournaments are taking place in Vancouver, June 15 and Victoria, June 17.
Regularly Scheduled Meetings
Vancouver Regional Women's Committee - June 22
North Vancouver Island Area Council meeting - July 16
More information on all of these events at the calendar.
Thanks for reading, <<First Name>>! Did you know PSAC is celebrating 50 years of solidarity in 2016?
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc