|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for November 2016
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
PSAC in the news
Halloween Day of Action
- PSAC members took to the streets all over Canada on Monday, demonstrating that they are haunted by the Phoenix pay system failure and in need of a fair collective agreement with the federal government. Read the update at psacunion.ca and check out the photos from BC.
- We are very proud to let you know that Bowinn Ma, a PSAC member working at Vancouver Airport, and Janet Routledge, former PSAC BC Regional Coordinator, have both been nominated as candidates for the NDP in the next provincial election. We look forward to working with both of them.
Justin Trudeau said he’d fix public services and respect the workers who make these services possible.
Now is the time for action. Demand respect for public service workers by sending a message to Prime Minister Trudeau today.
PSAC BC Regional Council
- The Regional Executive Vice President's report, reports from PSAC BC Regional Council members, and the minutes presented at the October 2016 Regional Council meeting are now available at the regional website.
- At their October meeting, the Regional Council passed a motion put forward by the PSAC BC Environment Committee endorsing the Council of Canadians campaign that calls on Canadians to pledge to not buy bottled water and to boycott Nestlé products. We encourage all PSAC members in BC to take the pledge today.
Tools for members
- It's that time of year again! The 2017 PSAC calendars are expected to arrive in Regional Offices at the end of November - contact your Local Executive or your PSAC Regional Office if you would like some for your worksite.
- Treasury Board: Last week Treasury Board indicated that they have a revised mandate on some of the key issues in this round of bargaining and our teams are at the table right now. Negotiations are scheduled to go until November 7 and we will keep you up to date.
- CRA: The tentative agreement with CRA has been ratified and signed. The employer has a maximum of 150 days as of October 25 to adjust wages, and pay out retroactive payments and the one-time lump sum. If you have any questions about the contract, speak with your Local President, or visit our FAQ page for more information.
- CFIA: The Employer and our CFIA bargaining team met in Ottawa on October 4 to 6, 2016, where the parties reviewed all non-monetary proposals - here's the full update. The parties will be back at the table on December 6.
- Parks: Our bargaining team met with the Parks Canada from October 25 to 27.The team tabled proposals to amend to current workforce adjustment provisions contained in Appendix “K” of the collective agreement in an effort to improve employment security for our members. More at the national website.
- Canada Post: Our bargaining team met with the Corporation October 18 and 19. The employer gave several presentations on the state of the business, and we exchanged proposals, which are available at the national website. The next meeting is scheduled for January - we'll keep you up to date.
- IMP Group, Comox: We are still awaiting a response from the employer regarding arbitration, your Local Executive will have more information when it becomes available.
- Commissionaires, Vancouver Island: Bargaining gets underway soon - team elections will take place next month, contact your Local Executive for more info.
- Vancouver Airport: Bargaining with YVR has begun. The team is looking forward to productive discussions resulting in a fair collective agreement that values the work of members at the airport. We will keep you up to date as the process unfolds.
- Nordion: Bargaining is on-going, contact your Local Executive for more information.
- CMHC Granville Island: The bargaining input process is underway, contact your Local Executive for more information.
The PSAC BC Education Program is pleased to offer three $500 education subsidies to PSAC BC members who are registering for the Canadian Labour Congress Winter School in 2017. The deadline for receipt of your subsidy application for the CLC Winter School is close of business on November 21st, 2016. In addition to the specific subsidies for the Winter School, there is some additional funding set aside for subsidies to other non-PSAC union related training. For more information and the application form, visit the regional website.
Upcoming courses in BC ...
- Talking Union Basics, Vancouver, Nov 19 & 20
Visit the regional website for more information and to apply online.
- Grievance Handling, Victoria, Dec 3 & 4
Meetings and Events
Celebrate PSAC’s 50th Anniversary - Vancouver, November 29: A number of PSAC members from across the province will be in Vancouver for the BC Federation of Labour convention and we thought this would provide an excellent opportunity for PSAC members in the Lower Mainland to get together, network, and celebrate PSAC’s 50th Anniversary. We’ll provide the snacks; you provide the conversation! In order to help us plan, please RSVP online here. All members invited!
TPP Town Hall, November 22: The Trans-Pacific Partnership threatens tens-of-thousands of Canadian jobs, will lead to higher prescription drug costs and threatens our health care system. The Canadian Labour Congress is holding a Town Hall Meeting on this important issue - information and registration here.
Mainland & Haida Gwaii Young Workers Committee - November 3
The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women commemorates the 14 women killed at the École Polytechnique in Montreal in 1989. On December 6th, people across the country remember and mourn this most extreme example of violence against women. PSAC Regional Women's Committee members are participating in and organizing events throughout the province. Watch this page for event information, which we will post as we receive it.
Regularly Scheduled Meetings
North Vancouver Island Area Council - November 5
Mainland Human Rights Committee - November 15
West Fraser Valley Area Council - November 21
Prince George Regional Women's Committee - November 25
East Fraser Valley Area Council - December 8
More information on all of these events at the calendar.
You got all the way to the bottom, <<First Name>>! This is the longest newsletter we've ever sent out - there's a lot going on.
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc