|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for January 2016
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
PSAC in the news
- Public service union leaders say they’re “cautiously optimistic” as collective bargaining talks with the federal government are set to resume in a few weeks. “We’re certainly not expecting a deal in the first week,” said Chris Aylward, PSAC’s national executive vice-president. “What we are hoping for is a change of tone.” - metronews.ca and another report at the Ottawa Citizen.
- The hundreds of Veterans Affairs Canada workers cut under the previous Conservative government are in the process of being replaced. "We've seen cuts of close to a 1,000, with a vast majority of those front-line staff, so we need to beef up the front line again" - more from Union of Veterans Affairs Employees National President Carl Gannon at cbc.ca
PSAC lauds Liberal government’s blocking of Bill C-377
Our Solidarity Knows No Boundaries
- Public Service Alliance of Canada welcomes the Minister of National Revenue’s announcement last month that reporting requirements for unions under Bill C-377 will be waived for 2016 and that the Liberal government will move to repeal this unconstitutional law. More at the national website.
- Are you interested in the fight to improve living standards, working conditions, health and safety laws and human rights for workers outside Canada? PSAC BC is re-activating our International Solidarity email list! If you're interested in receiving the occasional email that relates to PSAC's Social Justice Fund, unions and labour groups in the developing world, Solidarity actions/petitions, and activities and events in BC email me back and we will add you to our list.
Tools for Locals and Activists
- We've updated the PSAC Publications & Resources page at the website with an updated version of PSAC BC's Guide To Involving Young Workers. Download a copy or email me back and we'll put one in the mail for your Local.
- Treasury Board: Our Treasury Board teams met in December to gear up for bargaining. We're back at the table February 1st and we'll keep you up to date.
- CRA: Have you filed your grievance yet? It will put pressure on the CRA to return to the table. More info in this bargaining update from Robert Campbell, UTE National President.
- SSO: The SSO National Bargaining Conference takes in Ottawa this weekend: we'll keep you updated.
- Swissport fuelers and supervisors at YVR: a strike vote is scheduled, check with a member of your Local Executive for when & where - and support the team by wearing a sticker!
- IMP Group, Comox: the next round of negotiations is scheduled for February - as always, we'll keep you updated.
- CFIA: some background & bargaining issues at the national website.
- Parks: the PSAC and employer proposals are at the national website.
Winter/Spring 2016 Course Schedule
Grievance Handling - Jan 23,24 - Victoria
Public Speaking for Trade Unionists - Feb 20 - Victoria
Combo TUB/UICA - Mar 12,13- Nanaimo
Combo TUB/UICA - Apr 2,3 - Courtenay
Combo TUB/UICA - Feb 6,7
Public Speaking for Trade Unionists - Apr 2
Grievance Handling - Jun 4,5
Talking Union Basics - Jan 23,24
Understanding & Interpreting the CA - Feb 6
Local officers Course - Apr 16,17
Combo TUB/UICA - March 5,6 - Kelowna
Local officers Course Apr 16,17 - Kamloops
Representing Members with Mental Illnesses - Feb 20 - Prince Rupert
Understanding & Interpreting the CA Feb 21 - Prince Rupert
Health & Safety Activism May 28,29 - Prince George
More information about these courses at the website. Apply online here.
Meetings and Events
Regularly Scheduled Meetings
Find out more about PSAC BC's Area Councils, Human Rights Committees, and Regional Womens Committees.
Vancouver Island Human Rights Committee - January 12
Okanagan Area Council AGM - January 16
West Fraser Valley Area Council AGM - January 18
Vancouver Regional Womens Committee AGM - January 20
Northern Regional Womens Committee - January 20
Victoria Regional Womens Committee - January 21
Mainland Young Workers Committee AGM - January 21
Mainland Human Rights Committee AGM - January 27
Vancouver Area Council AGM - February 3
Vancouver Island Young Workers Committee AGM - February 4
North Vancouver Island Area Council AGM - February 6
More information on all of these events at the calendar.
Thanks for reading *|FNAME|*! Happy New Year!
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc