|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for March 2017
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
PSAC in the news
7th PSAC B.C. Regional Triennial Convention – Call for Nominations for REVP and Alternate REVP B.C. Region
- Delegates to the 2017 B.C. Regional Convention, being held June 16-18, 2017 at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver in Vancouver, B.C. will be electing the B.C. Regional Executive Vice-President and their Alternate. Any PSAC member in good standing in the B.C. Region is entitled to run for these two positions, however the nominator and the seconder must be delegates to the B.C. Regional Convention. More information and a nomination form at the regional website.
Video: Talking to Young Workers
- We sat down with some of our members under thirty-five and asked them about our union, how they got involved, and what being a union activist means to them. Check out what they had to say at youtube or on facebook.
- The PSAC BC Young Workers Conference Report is also available at the regional website.
Health and Safety
- The Labour Program at the Government of Canada are conducting an online survey as part of their consultations on issues related to workplace harassment and sexual violence. We encourage all members to take part in the survey - this will help the government as they work to ensure that federal workplaces are free from harassment and sexual violence. Note the deadline for consultations is listed as March 3, however the Canadian Labour Congress has requested an extension, in order to facilitate greater participation.
- PA, TC, SV and EB: Tentative agreements have been achieved for these groups and a ratification vote is ongoing. For more information and the vote schedule in BC, visit the regional website.
- FB (CBSA): Talks broke off in early February and we have filed for a Public Interest Commission for the Border Services group. More info at the national website.
- CFIA: The team is at the bargaining table this week, watch for an update soon.
- Parks: Due to scheduling conflicts, our bargaining session with Parks Canada scheduled for January 2017 has been postponed to March 28 to 30, 2017.
- Canada Post: Our bargaining team met with Canada Post Corporation from February 21 to 23 and January 17 and 18. More at the national website.
- IMP Group: Members in Comox rallied in support of the team on February 14th – contact your Local Executive for more information about ongoing negotiations.
- Commissionaires: Members have ratified a one-year roll over to the collective agreement. Contact your Local Executive for more information.
- Vancouver Airport: A new collective agreement was ratified by the members of UCTE Local 20221 who are employed directly by the Vancouver Airport Authority - more at the regional website.
- Nordion: Members of DCL 20050, working at MDS Nordion Inc. also have a new contract which was ratified in February. The team thanks members for their support!
- CMHC Granville Island: Face to face bargaining begins soon, contact your Local Executive for more information.
Together we can make better happen here!
Join the PSAC BC Regional Council (pictured above) and pledge to vote on May 9th for a new government that will provide supports for families, strengthen public services, and create good paying jobs. Take the pledge at togetherforbc.ca today.
- Convention Procedures, Vancouver, Apr 8 & 9
- Grievance Handling, Vancouver, May 6 & 7
- Canada Labour Code II, Victoria, Mar 11 & 12
- Talking Union Basics, Victoria, Apr 22 & 23
- Grievance Handling, Nanaimo, May 27 & 28
- Convention Procedures, Kamloops, Apr 8 & 9
- Grievance Handling, Penticton, Apr 22 & 23
Visit the regional website for more information and to apply online.
- Duty to Accommodate, Abbotsford, March 18
- Convention Procedures, Abbotsford, Apr 22 & 23
- Talking Union Basics, Abbotsford, May 6 & 7
Meetings and Events
What are all these meetings? Here's more information about our Area Councils and Women's, Young Workers, and Human Rights Committees. Get involved in your union!
March 8 is International Women's Day. The PSAC Victoria Regional Women's Committee invites you to celebrate with potluck and a movie, March 7th, and the Vancouver RWC invites you to dinner and a celebration with other PSAC women, March 8th in Vancouver.
Join us for an exciting night of non-partisan grassroots democracy! PSAC, along with many other unions, faith groups, and community organizations will be at the Metro Vancouver Alliance Provincial Election Accountability Assembly, April 4th at 6PM. We will use the combined power of close to 100 community, labour, faith, and educational organizations to ask the leaders of BC's provincial parties to commit to commonly agreed proposals that will make BC a better place for all of us. To RSVP and get your ticket for the Assembly, contact Jennifer Chieh Ho or Jamey Mills, PSAC BC's representatives. Visit metvanalliance.org for more information.
Regularly Scheduled Meetings
Northeast Area Council AGM - March 6
Victoria Regional Women's Committee meeting - March 7
Vancouver Regional Women's Committee meeting - March 8
North Island Area Council AGM - March 25
Okanagan Human Rights Committee meeting - April 8
Thanks for reading, p!
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc