|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for March 2016
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
PSAC in the news
- The Liberal government is reversing $1.3 billion in (alleged) savings the Conservatives booked to replace the sick leave regime of Canada’s public servants with a new short-term disability plan. Reaction from Robyn Benson in the Ottawa Citizen.
- The U.S Agriculture Department has given the Canadian Food Inspection Agency until mid-March to fix significant food safety and sanitation concerns found during an audit of Canada’s meat, poultry and egg inspection systems. "(this) should be a red flag for the Liberal government to honour its election promise to hire more front-line food inspections" - Bob Kingston, Agriculture Union President, in the Globe and Mail.
- Deep cuts the previous Harper government made to the federal public service will present a challenge to the Liberal government come budget time, says a new report. The National Observer reports on a paper authored by Howie West, PSAC staffer.
- PSAC members across the country are meeting with their MPs, telling them about the impact of federal government cuts and asking them to make sure the new government to sticks to the anti-austerity election theme that the public clearly voted for. If you're interested in getting involved and meeting with your MP alongside other PSAC members, email me back or get in touch with your nearest PSAC Area Council.
- Do you use Instagram? We do! Follow @psacbc on Instagram for a more visual look at what our Union is up to.
Human Rights and International Solidarity
- PSAC just launched a new Social Justice Fund website to raise awareness about the union’s contribution to the broader social justice movement. The labour movement has an important role in fighting the social and economic inequities that impact the lives of workers and people in Canada and around the world. The Social Justice Fund is one of PSAC’s contributions to that struggle.
Tools for Locals and Activists
- Your semi-monthly reminder: PSAC produces a wide variety of toolkits, booklets and resource guides for activists and Locals. We have collected them at the website as a resource for members.
- NavCanada: We are pleased to announce the one-year roll over agreement was ratified.
- Swissport fuelers and supervisors at YVR: The agreement between Swissport & the fuelers and supervisors was ratified - the bargaining team would like to thank members for their support during a tough round of negotiations.
- Treasury Board: Our Treasury Board bargaining teams are back in Ottawa next week, March 7-10. As always, we will keep you up to date.
- CRA: Robert Campbell, UTE National President, met with Andrew Treusch in mid February - PSAC and UTE continue to pressure Treasury Board and CRA to get back to the table and negotiate a fair agreement. We encourage members to continue to demonstrate their support for the Negotiating Team - contact your Local Executive for more information.
- SSO: Bargaining dates are being scheduled.
- IMP Group, Comox: The next round of negotiations has been pushed back. We'll keep you updated.
- CFIA: The CFIA team is back at the table for the first time under the new government next week, March 7-11. Updates to come.
- Parks: Bargaining dates are being formulated, in the meantime: the PSAC and employer proposals are at the national website.
- Commissionaires, Vancouver Island: Bargaining will begin soon - we are soliciting bargaining input from members. Contact your Local Executive for more information.
Winter/Spring 2016 Course Schedule
Combo TUB/UICA - Mar 12,13- Nanaimo
Combo TUB/UICA - Apr 2,3 - Courtenay
Public Speaking for Trade Unionists - Apr 2
Grievance Handling - Jun 4,5
Local Officers Course - Apr 16,17
Local officers Course Apr 16,17 - Kamloops
Health & Safety Activism May 28,29 - Prince George
More information about these courses at the website. Apply online here.
Meetings and Events
Regularly Scheduled Meetings
March 8th is International Women's Day - On International Women’s Day 2016, PSAC invites our members to celebrate our many victories and to continue the fight for equality for all women. Read more and download the flyer at the website.
March 21st is the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- we have a supply of Eliminate Racism posters & buttons. Contact your Regional Office if you would like some for your worksite.
Mainland Human Rights Committee meeting - March 15
PSAC BC Mainland & Haida Gwaii Young Workers Committee meeting - March 17
North Vancouver Island Area Council AGM - March 19
Vancouver Island Young Workers Committee meeting - March 31
Vancouver Regional Womens Committee meeting - March 31
Vancouver Area Council meeting - April 6
Northern Regional Womens Committee meeting - April 20
Victoria Area Council Meeting - April 12
Vancouver Island Human Rights Committee meeting - April 29
Vancouver Island Regional Womens Committee meeting - April 27
Get involved with your union! Find out more about PSAC BC's Area Councils, Human Rights Committees, Young Workers Committees and Regional Womens Committees. More information on all of these events at the calendar.
Thanks for reading *|FNAME|*! Dare I say it's beginning to look like spring out there?
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc