|PSAC BC Regional Newsletter for August 2016
Jump to: News and Political Action | Education | Meetings and Events
News and Political Action
PSAC in the news
Phoenix pay system
- The Phoenix pay system continues to make news.
- CBC news is running "Phoenix Falling" an ongoing series of stories that highlight problems with the pay system & tells the stories of government workers that have been affected. If you've been affected by Phoenix and would like to tell your story to the media please get in touch with me - the more people that tell their story, the more pressure is put on the government to act quickly.
- The government has confirmed public servants had their private information breached twice when Ottawa launched its new computerized pay system. Chris Aylward is quoted at cbc.ca
- Public service unions taking Ottawa to court over pay system problems - Chris Aylward is quoted at the Globe & Mail.
Human Rights & Social Justice
Draw for PSAC members: BC Lions Tickets
CRA Day of Action, August 8th
- We still have tickets for 7 more games! PSAC BC, along with the BC Federation of Labour and many of its affiliates, help sponsor the BC Lions Be More Than A Bystander campaign. As a thank you for our sponsorship agreement, the BC Lions have provided us with a number of tickets to upcoming games which we are making available to members in a draw. More info and the entry form.
Our CRA bargaining team returns to the table next week and we’re taking action to show our support for them.
- Treasury Board: All our TB teams are back at the table in September, we'll keep you up to date.
- CRA: The CRA team are back at the table Aug 8th. CRA members are holding a day of action in support of the team.
- CFIA: Our CFIA bargaining team met with the employer on July 12-14 in Ottawa. The parties continued discussions on non-monetary proposals and the employer made a presentation on their plans for “Agency Transformation”. Full update here.
- Parks: The next round of Parks negotiations is scheduled for October 24-27. We'll keep you up to date.
- Canada Post: We are preparing for the upcoming round of bargaining. Watch for updates at the national website.
- IMP Group, Comox: We are still awaiting a response from the employer, your Local Executive will have more information when it becomes available.
- Commissionaires, Vancouver Island: Due to an issue with the employer bargaining has been pushed back to the Fall.
- Prince George Airport: A new agreement was reached and ratified at Prince George Airport.
The Fall 2016 Course Schedule is here.
- Grievance Handling, Abbotsford, Sept 10 & 11
- H&S Activism, Abbotsford, Oct 1 & 2
- Local Officers Course, Abbotsford, Oct 29 & 30
- Grievance Handling, Vancouver, Sept 17 & 18
- Local Officers Course, Vancouver, Oct 29 & 30
- Talking Union Basics, Vancouver, Nov 19 & 20
- Health & Safety CLC Pt II, Kelowna, Sept 17 & 18
- Talking Union Basics, Kamloops, Oct 22 & 23
- Stewards Series Tier I, Prince Rupert, Oct 15 & 16
- Stewards Series Tier II, Prince George, Nov 5 & 6
Visit the regional website for more information and to apply online.
- Talking Union Basics, Victoria, Oct 29 & 30
- Grievance Handling, Victoria, Dec 3 & 4
Meetings and Events
East Fraser Valley Area Council meeting - August 18
CEIU Local 20975 is hosting a family picnic in Sooke. All PSAC members and their families are invited! Come join us for a day of fun, food, and relaxation, August 13th. More information.
September 5th is Labour Day. PSAC BC will be participating in events across the province, keep an eye on the calendar for details.
The registration deadline for the 2016 PSAC B.C. Regional Women’s Conference is tomorrow, August 5th. More info and online registration. The Organizing Committee has put out a call to Locals and Branches for donations towards a raffle to be held at the Conference, with proceeds benefiting women's organizations. Here's how your Local can help.
Regularly Scheduled Meetings
East Fraser Valley Area Council meeting - September 5
Okanagan Human Rights Committee meeting - September 7
Mainland & Haida Gwaii Young Workers Committee meeting - September 8
North Vancouver Island Area Council meeting - September 10
Vancouver Regional Women's Committee meeting - September 14
Mainland Human Rights Committee meeting - September 20
More information on all of these events at the calendar.
Thanks for reading, <<First Name>>! And if you happen to see your MP over the rest of the summer, please tell him or her to keep their hands off our sick leave!
PSAC Vancouver Regional Office
604 430 5631 | 1 800 663 1655
psacbc.com | facebook.com/psacbc | twitter.com/psacbc