Governor Hogan Signing the Home Birth Safety Act Bill
May 6, 2015
Dear Midwives Supporters:
On Tuesday, May 12, the Governor will be signing the bill to license Certified Professional Midwives in Maryland! Everyone who is excited about this hard-fought step forward is invited to attend. Babies and children are welcome. We'd love to see our wonderful community present at this momentous occasion! For those unable to join us next Tuesday, please know that we are also planning a community celebration of the passage of the bill that will take place in June. Stay tuned as details will come soon.
Not sure what to expect at a bill signing? Caitlin McDonough, AIMM's lobbyist, has provided us with a helpful overview of the process:
(1) Multiple Bills will be signed on one day – timing is everything and they move things along quickly so punctuality is a must. If you aren’t there on time, you could miss the actual signing.
(2) The actual signing happens very quickly – they will take a couple photographs while the bill is being signed, and interested parties can stand behind the governor, president, and speaker during the signing. This includes advocates, sponsors, lobbyists, consumers, etc. Space is somewhat limited, so be aware of that if you want to be in the actual picture. Otherwise, there is some space to simply be there to witness the signing, but, again, space is limited.
(3) Location – bill signings occur in the Governor’s Reception Room on the second floor of the State House. People gather in the rotunda on the main floor of the State House and wait to be called by bill number for their signing. Remember our bill is HB 9 – so that is what you will be listening for.
(4) CROWDED!!!! A lot of people show up for bill signings – there is a lot of confusion and it is crowded and loud and feels like an actual cattle call. Please remember this if you plan to bring children – you will need to keep a close eye on them (very easy to get lost in the crowd).
(5) Waiting – again, there are several bills signed at one signing, so while you should definitely plan to be on time, then you may be waiting around for your particular bill.
We look forward to seeing your smiling faces as we celebrate our success! All are welcome!