You are invited to attend:
Community Engaged Dance
Unconference for Artists/Facilitators
Saturday, March 29, 2014 from 9:30 AM
- 2:30 PM
Calling dance artists working in or interested in working in the field of community engaged dance in all its forms to come together for a day of discussion.
What is an Unconference?
“An unconference s a participant-driven meeting. The term "unconference" has been applied, or self-applied, to a wide range of gatherings that try to avoid one or moreaspects of a conventional conference such as high fees, sponsored presentations, and top-down organization.”
How does it work?
“The agenda is created by the attendees at the beginning of the meeting. Anyone who wants to initiate a discussion on a topic can claim a time and a space. Unconferences typically feature open discussions rather than having a single speaker at the front of the room giving a talk, although any format is permitted.”
Bring your own questions and topics, bring information to share, bring your experience to the room:
• How do we create more opportunities for community engaged dance?
• Do we need a network of community engaged dance artists in BC?
• When working with specific communities, what are the challenges, what are the opportunities?
• What are the performance opportunities for community engaged dance in Vancouver or in the province?
• What resources are available? Who are our mentors? What are the funding opportunities? How to get started? What inspires you? Where can we get training for this practice?
• What kind of activities fall under community engaged dance, what are you doing?
Schedule Breakfast and lunch provided by Made in BC Dance on Tour.
Please email with your food preferences: email@example.com
9:30 - 10:00am: Breakfast and gather
10:00 - 10:15: Explain procedures for an unconference
10:15 -10:45: Agenda making by participants
10:45 -11:30: first session (two discussions or more in the same room)
11:30 - 12:15pm: second session (two discussions or more in the same room)
12:15 - 12:30: sandwich break
12:30 - 1:30: gather and share findings in one big group
1:30 - 2:15: action planning
This unconference is an initiative of the Artists in Residence at the Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre; Julie Lebel and Miriam Colvin with the collaboration of Caroline Liffmann.
The unconference is made possible with the support of Made in BC - Dance on Tour and the Vancouver Parks Board and Recreation