1. Veridian supports METS/ALTO both with and without article segmentation
and can even support both types of data within the same collection. It also supports Dublin Core, MARC, MODS, and TEI.
Why choose METS/ALTO for newspaper digitization projects?
2. Veridian is highly scalable – our largest collections to date have well over 3 million pages of historic newspapers and support thousands of visitors a day. Have a look at PapersPast
and the California Digital Newspaper Collection
3. Veridian is the only discovery and delivery platform to incorporate OCR User Text Correction
Text correction, tags, comments, private lists/bookmarks, and social media features encourage users to interact with a collection on a personal level, and this keeps users coming back to the collection again and again.
4. Veridian is the premier software used to build, customize, and display important collections from many large university and public libraries in the U.S., and National Libraries including New Zealand, Vietnam, Singapore, and Estonia.
5. Veridian newspaper digitization projects gain better exposure in Google and other search engines because we ensure extensive SEO features
and support for Google Analytics. Read what happened when we optimized Veridian for the Vassar College Digital Newspapers
6. Veridian Software supports restricted access for copyrighted material, content for members only, restrictions by physical location, etc.
7. Veridian supports the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH)
allowing metadata from Veridian collections to be incorporated into systems like the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)
, Digital Commonwealth
, and within library catalog systems. In addition, Veridian has an extensive XML API, exposing all the data as machine-readable XML.
8. Every Veridian project
is designed with branding and customization unique to the owner of the collection.
9. Veridian is multilingual. Veridian uses Unicode
throughout, for the user interface, the digitized content, and all search-related systems. This allows it to support collections of content in any language, and means the user interface is easily translated to any language.
10. Why is the Veridian logo an elephant? Because elephants are large and known for their intelligence and their ability to store important information, just like Veridian.