Postponed: IT&I Rant and Rave with Raj Pandya (NOW Tuesday October 13th)
13 Oct 2015 ESIP IT&I Rant and Rave seminar, Raj Pandya, Director of the Thriving Earth Exchange, will be discussing and answering questions about the Thriving Earth Exchange and the Sharing Solutions Call for Projects. (More information on this Rant and Rave seminar will be coming soon to the Rants & Raves page .)
30-Day Comment Period for Strategic Plan
As many of you know, over the last 18 months, ESIP has been going through a strategic planning process (workspace) led by ESIP VP, Emily Law. It started with an assessment of where we were. Then the ESIP assembly reviewed the previous strategic plan goals and collectively with the 2014 Summer Meeting attendees modifed the goals to move ESIP forward for the next 4-5 years. Over the last several months, ESIP leadership has put together a roadmap and executive summary for this new strategic plan. Moving forward, the ESIP community will annually review the goals and align collaboration area activities and member activities around these goals.
30-Day Comment Period for Semantic Technologies Committee
The ESIP Executive Committee moved to go forward with promoting the Semantic Web Cluster to Semantic Technologies Committee through the appropriate channels, the 30-day waiting period and then ultimately an electronic vote on the approval by the general assembly.
The proposed addition to the Bylaws would be:
Section 5 â€“ Standing Committee for Semantic Technologies
V.5.1 The ESIP Federation shall include a Standing Committee for Semantic Technologies. Its roles are:
- To encourage and promote research and development of semantic technologies in support of Earth science data management, data discovery, data dissemination and data analysis.
- To collaborate with ESIP members, working groups, clusters, and standing committees to identify semantic methods and tools that support the adoption of semantic technologies within ESIP and across its member organizations.
- To foster sharing and reuse of ontologies and controlled vocabularies within ESIP and its member organizations.
- To provide a collaborative environment for the development of ontology-based standards and controlled vocabularies.
- To maintain a long-term agenda and roadmap for integration and evaluation of semantic projects within ESIP.
- To collaborate with external groups and agencies, including international organizations, on behalf of ESIP in regards to semantic technologies and furthering the aforementioned roles.
Draft with ExCom comments
Link to full bylaws: https://github.com/ESIPFed/Governance/blob/master/Bylaws.md
Last Call for New ESIP Members
Last call for New ESIP Members - Application is here. Our Fall 2015 New Member class will close Oct. 15.
Call for Nominations
Its time to think about nominating your colleagues for ESIP Leadership positions & awards. Please think about your deserving peers and contact Denise Hills (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your nomination ideas!