• NBC Sports is providing extensive coverage
through Sunday of the Curling World Cup
in Omaha , the majority of it live. These same games are also being livestreamed on NBCSports.com
• There has been and continues to be great media coverage of the Curling World Cup in Omaha, with live TV hits throughout the day, and plenty of print coverage. Samples:
o Omaha World Herald preview
o KMTV kickoff
o WOWT preview
o KETV kickoff
o Inside the Games preview
o Duluth News Tribune Day 1 update
• Episode #7 of Curling Night in America drew 109,00 viewer households on average, with a high of 148,000.
• USA’s 2018 Olympic gold medalist team of John Shuster, Tyler George, Matt Hamilton, John Landsteiner and Joe Polo were honored as the best men’s team
of the 2018 Olympic Games by the Association of National Olympic Committees at award ceremonies in Tokyo.
• The junior team of Annmarie Dubberstein, Cora Farrell, Jenna Burcheksy, Allison Howell and Coach Wayne Anderson is now being featured in the Get to Know the HPP Athletes
• NFL greats Jared Allen and Marc Bulger
competed in the Curl Mesabi Cashspiel, with Allen in particular pursuing a dream of competing in the 2022 Olympics.
• The “mustache T-shirt
” and other Omaha Curling World Cup merchandise is moving quickly, but you can still purchase online even if you aren’t able to attend in person.
• A commemorative Olympic gold medal pin
is now on sale.
• Two companies we are in discussions with to become the next competitive apparel sponsor for USA Curling are providing samples to a small group of athletes for testing and feedback.
• I had a good call and follow-up correspondence with a marketing consultant who is representing one of the global Olympic sponsors that is exploring opportunities with winter Olympic NGBs in the USA.
• Tom Violette designed and launched a Giving Tuesday fundraising campaign
, which has now morphed into a year-end campaign. The new online platform we are using also has many capabilities for Directors and other interested fundraising supporters to use in peer-to-peer efforts. Please feel free to contact Tom
for more details.
• Tabletop curling games featuring curling’s U.S. Olympic gold medalists are now on sale
at TJ Maxx.
• Team USA
has been named for the 2019 World Wheelchair Curling Championship.
• Nine more berths
have been claimed for the 2019 Women’s and Men’s National Championships.
• The Rich Ruohonen rink
won the Curl Mesabi Classic World Curling Tour event.
• The Athlete Selection Procedures
for the 2020 Youth Olympic Games have now been published.
• The High Performance Program team of Vicky Persinger and Chris Plys won the Twin Ports Mixed Doubles Cashspiel in Duluth and thereby became the fourth team qualified
for the 2019 Mixed Doubles National Championship. Four more teams
have qualified via the World Curling Tour Order of Merit standings, and the HPP Director wildcard pick was also named. The final three teams will qualify for the 12-team Nationals from the Mixed Doubles Challenge Round in Grand Forks, N.D., Dec. 19-23.
• Apply now to compete in the new 5-year-and-under National Bonspiel
, being jointly supported by John Shuster and the Duluth Curling Club, USA Curling and the U.S. Women’s Curling Association.
• Officials are needed
at several USA Curling events.
• I conducted a site visit in Raleigh-Durham, N.C., to view possible venues for future USA Curling national events and Curling Night in America. While there I also had the pleasure of visiting the Triangle Curling Club.
• USA Curling athletic trainer Michael Gulenchyn, of sponsor Twin Cities Orthopedics, attended the “Summit on Sexual Abuse in Sport: Building Action Plans for Sports Medicine Providers,” in Pittsburgh.
What’s up next week:
• The fourth and final Junior Nationals Berth Bonspiel Qualifier
begins today in Portage, Wis.
• USOC NGB Support Services 2019 discussion, Friday.
• Eighth and ninth episodes of Curling Night in America
, NBC Sports Network, Dec. 14, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Preceded by re-airs of two other episodes, giving you eight solid hours of televised curling.