HAPPY NEW YEAR !
A Living Library & Life Frames
Thank You For
A Spectacular & Successful 2015 ! Your Support Enabled A.L.L. To
Evolve, Strengthen, & Grow
Please Join Us Again To
Grow A.L.L. Abundance In 2016
Dear Friends of A.L.L. ,
It has been another extraordinary, fast, fun-packed, full year of transformation and growth - in our San Francisco and NYC Branch Living Library & Think Parks.
We have much to Celebrate ! With children and adults, we have been learning by doing, and in the process, making great ecological change in our communities.
A few accomplishments include:
• Working with over 2500 children and youth - year-round - in multiple schools in San Francisco and NYC developing and maintaining place-based, green learning landscapes in schoolyards and neighborhoods through hands-on, standards-based, math, science, history, literacy, multi-arts, youth leadership training for PreK-12 students
• Continued gorgeous, lush planting & installation of unique Garden of Signs in Bernal Heights Living Library & Think Park Nature Walk that is linking multiple schools, parks, public housing, streets, and other open spaces leading to currently hidden Islais Creek through creation of native resilient landscape
• Islais Creek Watershed Gateways & Interconnected Watershed Communities is being supported by city and state agencies as smart and powerful, ecological, systemic planning and design opportunity to expand existing Nature Walk to interconnect 11 Watershed communities and transform two currently derelict and flooding Freeway Interchanges into Northern & Southern Gateways to Watershed - Listen to Radio Interview on KPOO FM & Stay tuned for future updates
• A.L.L. Green Futures - Year-round, After School and Summer Paid Internships for Middle School Students to learn practical green skills, culinary arts, and sustainable entrepreneurship while improving the neighborhood's environment engaged over 60 youth in 2015
• A.L.L. ECO-Stewards - Paid Internships in Green Skills Job Training for High School to Age 21 Youth in planting and plant establishment of Nature Walk engaged over 50 youth this year in learning by doing and adding to the Living Library & Think Park Nature Walk
• Roosevelt Island Living Library joins with New York Public Library to offer FREE A.L.L. Program for Parents & Children
• Continued great interest from colleagues and new friends who want to develop Branch Living Library & Think Parks in Texas, India, Mexico, and China !
• Founder & Director, Bonnie Ora Sherk's Sitting Still Series featured in exhibition at Mills College Art Museum. In Sitting Still l, the artist demonstrated how a seated human figure could radically transform an environment just by sitting in an existing overstuffed armchair she found with other detrius floating where water and garbage had collected, due to construction of the Army/101 Freeway Interchange, (now Chavez). The audience for the performance were people in slow-moving cars due to the construction. The artist brought this idea to diverse locations including the Financial District, Golden Gate Bridge and diverse cages at the San Francisco Zoo. In Sitting Still 1, unknown to her at the time, however, she was actually facing her future;
• Northern frame of Islas Creek Watershed
• 101 Freeway Interchange that she is proposing to become Northern Gateway to Watershed
• Site of Crossroads Community (the farm)
• She was actually sitting in water from the Islais Creek that she hopes to daylight in diverse locations throughout the Watershed
Stay tuned in 2016 for more news of these adventures and our ongoing Branch Living Library & Think Parks:
A LIVING LIBRARY IS CULTIVATING THE
HUMAN & ECOLOGICAL GARDEN !
Thank you for your support