Justice for Immigrants
Dear Catholics for Peace and Justice:
We are attempting to organize hundreds if not thousands of Catholics in Wisconsin to come together with one voice to say NO to immigration policies that trample human rights and YES to comprehensive immigration reform that follows all the principles of Catholic Social Teaching, from the right of nations to secure their borders, to the right of all peoples to migrate, to the obligation of richer and larger nations to be proportionally more generous to refugees, and to recognize the reasons they are fleeing their homelands.
Can we count on you to join this effort? Can you come to an organizational meeting this coming Thursday, July 11, from 10 AM- Noon at Sacred Heart Monastery in Franklin? Or if you can’t attend then, can we contact you to get you involved afterwards? Call me at 414-427-4273 or 414-630-0420 or email me at email@example.com to rsvp for the meeting or let me know of your interest. We will have numerous teams working on political advocacy and Catholic education, especially in parishes.
Our best chance of having an impact is if we can identify Catholic lay, religious and clergy FROM BOTH SIDES OF THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM willing to come together around this one issue. We believe that Catholics who identify as conservative, Republican, or even Donald Trump supporters can still find common ground when it comes to opposing family separation and children kept in cages in intolerable conditions! If you know someone who fits that description, please ask them to join us!
* If you want to invite Catholic friends/family via Facebook, here is the link to the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/622341974915888/
Director of Justice, Peace and Reconciliation
Priests of the Sacred Heart, US Province
Seven Days of Service
Seven Days of Service proposed by the Milwaukee Archdiocese for September 22-29 provides a great invitation to parishioners to “taste” aspects of Human Concerns service.
Has your parish or organization decided on an outreach activity for the Milwaukee Archdiocesan 7 Days of Service? Catholics for Peace and Justice would like to celebrate your plans!
Some information about 7 Days of Service:
The Milwaukee Archdiocese invites and encourages all Catholics to take part in an outreach activity between September 22 and September 29. Some activities have already been outlined at the archdiocesan level; in addition, each parish or parish group is asked to design one or more activity relevant to their community.
Here are some activities a parish or organization might sponsor:
- A blood drive through the American Red Cross
- An educational event about voter registration through the League of Women Voters
- A field trip to the Black Holocaust Museum
- A viewing of the Evicted exhibit at the Mobile Design Box, 753 N. 27 St, Milwaukee (Fridays 5-8 p.m. and Saturday mornings only)
- Participation in Stand for Peace with Peace Action of Wisconsin (Saturday noon to 1 p.m.)
- A letter writing campaign to legislators or a corporation or a news outlet about a topic of concern in your community
- An outdoor prayer service to thank God for the gifts of creation
Please send the CPJ Newsletter firstname.lastname@example.org a short summary of the outreach activity you are planning, and whether participation would be open to people who are not members of your organization. Let’s celebrate the ways Catholic Social Teaching is put into action in our midst!
Catholics for Peace and Justice Leadership Council
[back to top]