Dear Friends and Fans,
Welcome to Without My Consent's Weekly Roundup, featuring articles, posts, interviews and more for those interested in the news most relevant to our advocacy.
Colette, Erica, Marcia & Christina
House Reps. Katherine Clark (D-MA), Susan Brooks (R-IN) and Patrick Meehan (R-PA) introduced the Online Safety Modernization Act of 2017
to ban sextortion, swatting, doxxing and nonconsensual pornography. The bill would also provide training and resources for federal, state and local law enforcement for these issues. The bill is supported by Facebook, CCRI, law enforcement, NCMEC, and anti-domestic violence groups. 
In New South Wales, Australia, Parliament has drafted the Crimes Amendment (Intimate Images) Bill
, to ban nonconsensual pornography, regardless of who took it. This bill includes “morph porn” -- image-based sexual abuse where a the victim’s head is photoshopped on a nude body -- and editing a photo’s brightness / contrast to expose a private body part. The bill also includes people who have the intimate images without consent but haven’t shared it online, since they can physically share their screen. If found guilty of sextortion or sharing nonconsensual pornography, offenders face up to three years in prison and must remove the images. Nonconsensual pornography was criminalized in South Australia in 2013, and Victoria in 2014. 
A North Carolina law that prohibits posting nonconsensual pornography of an ex-lover without consent may soon be expanded. The House and Senate accepted changes for HB 399
, sponsored by Republican Rep. Chris Malone of Wake County, which would close a loophole by not limiting it to people who were in a relationship and including those who have had their computers hacked and their images distributed without their permission. The bill now heads to the Governor. 
- Swapna Krishna, Proposed bill would make doxxing a federal crime, Engadget (June 29, 2017) [legislation] https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/29/online-safety-modernization-act-outlaws-doxxing-swatting/
- Saxon Norgard, Cyber Abuse: Tackling the Revenge Porn Epidemic, RightsInfo (June 28, 2017) https://rightsinfo.org/cyber-abuse-tackling-revenge-porn-epidemic/
- Rumbi Chakamba, Zimbabwean Activists Call for Specific Laws to Fight Revenge Porn, NewsDeeply (June 28, 2017) https://www.newsdeeply.com/womenandgirls/articles/2017/06/28/zimbabwean-activists-call-for-specific-laws-to-fight-revenge-porn
- Samantha Grasso, 15 things you didn’t know about revenge porn, The Daily Dot (June 28, 2017) https://www.dailydot.com/irl/revenge-porn/
- Buth Reaksmey Kongkea, Man held in revenge porn case, Khmer Times (June 28, 2017) http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39687/man-held-in-revenge-porn-case/
- Katie Stow, Revenge Porn Is Finally Illegal in New South Wales, ELLE (June 27, 2017) [legislation] http://www.elle.com.au/news/revenge-porn-finally-illegal-in-australia-13589
- 3 arrested for spreading revenge porn video of Rajbari student, Dhaka Tribune (June 20, 2017) http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/crime/2017/06/20/releasing-obsecene-video-student/
- Everton Bailey Jr., 'Revenge porn' convict who eluded jail for months arrested in Portland, The Oregonian (June 21, 2017) http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/index.ssf/2017/06/revenge_porn_convict_who_elude.html
- Stephen Balkam, Teen Sexting: Legislate or Educate?, Huffington Post (June 21, 2017) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/teen-sexting-legislate-or-educate_us_594aa162e4b092ed90588acc
- Bill to Expand 'Revenge Porn' Law Gets Final Legislative OK, U.S. News & World Report (June 27, 2017) [legislation] https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/north-carolina/articles/2017-06-27/bill-to-expand-revenge-porn-law-gets-final-legislative-ok
- Emma Reynolds, Calls to wipe social media history when kids turn 18, news.com.au (June 22, 2017) http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/security/calls-to-wipe-social-media-history-when-kids-turn-18/news-story/8c0773add8dcd6fad9a764e9c3e5c919
- Diana Tourjee, Journalist Pleads Guilty to Framing Ex For Anti-Semitic Bomb Threats, VICE (June 15, 2017) https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/qv4nb3/journalist-pleads-guilty-to-framing-ex-for-anti-semitic-bomb-threats
- Brian Maass, No New Trial For Lawyer Who Outed Prostitute, CBS News (June 15, 2017) http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/06/15/outed-prostitute-judge-denver/
If you support Without My Consent and its education efforts such as the Weekly Roundup, please consider helping us keep it going with a modest donation.
Thanks for Reading!
Without My Consent's Board
About Without My Consent
Without My Consent empowers victims of egregious online privacy violations to lead the fight against online harassment. We document the law as it is.
We identify obstacles to justice. We train lawyers, law enforcement, and advocates. We engage in solutions-oriented work with industry and government. We stand for free speech, privacy, due process, and equality in a digital world.
WMC makes educational materials on these topics available through this website, free of charge. Though the materials provided here are broader in scope, much of our work currently centers on nonconsensual pornography.