Dear Friends and Fans,
Welcome to Without My Consent's Weekly Roundup, featuring articles, posts, interviews and more for those interested in the news most relevant to our advocacy.
Colette, Erica, Marcia & Christina
Don’t miss Part 1 of our Sexual Privacy webinar series scheduled for March 30, 2017. You can learn more and register here
. (Part 2 aired March 1, 2017. If you were unable to join us live, the webinar was recorded and will be available for on-demand viewing at K&L Gates HUB
In Montana, a bipartisan bill banning nonconsensual pornography that passed the House 95-5 was defeated in an unusual 0-50 vote. The bill’s main sponsor, Rep. Ellie Hill Smith of Missoula, blamed a "poison pill" that was dropped into the bill as it wound through the Senate. During its second hearing, Sen. Keith Regier won support to insert the phrase "financially profit" into the bill, and Sen. Tom Facey said there was “miscommunication between … stakeholders and some of our Senators … whether the amendments were acceptable.” As a result, the bill drew objections from the Montana Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence. 
In Canberra, Australia, a petition
has been launched calling on the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) government to introduce laws that specifically prohibit nonconsensual pornography. 
- Bobby Caina Calvan, Montana Senate Kills 'Revenge Porn' Bill Amid Confusion, U.S. News & World Report (March 25, 2017) [legislation] https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/montana/articles/2017-03-25/montana-senate-kills-porn-revenge-bill-but-few-know-why
- Sudbury lawyer prepares precedent setting case for non-consensual distribution of images, CBC News (March 24, 2017) [legislation] http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/non-consensual-images-distribution-legalities-1.4038709
- Lia Beck, The 'Power Rangers' Revenge Porn Storyline Is A Big Old Pile Of No, Bustle (March 24, 2017) https://www.bustle.com/p/the-power-rangers-revenge-porn-storyline-is-a-big-old-pile-of-no-46487
- Woman faces charges after filming senior citizens having sex on Snapchat, KRON4 (March 24, 2017) http://kron4.com/2017/03/24/woman-faces-charges-after-filming-senior-citizens-having-sex-on-snapchat/
- Sara Ashley O'Brien, The 20-year-old leading the March Against Revenge Porn, CNN (March 24, 2017) http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/24/technology/revenge-porn-march/
- Michael Gorey, Petition calls on ACT government to introduce 'revenge porn' laws, Canberra Times (March 23, 2017) [legislation] http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/petition-calls-on-act-government-to-introduce-revenge-porn-laws-20170322-gv4gaj.html
- Jessica D'Onofrio, Chicago teen apparently gang-raped on Facebook Live, police say, ABC (March 21, 2017) http://abc7news.com/news/chicago-teen-apparently-gang-raped-on-facebook-live-police-say/1811697/
- Rhode Island House Again Votes to Ban 'Revenge Porn,' U.S. News & World Report (March 21, 2017) [legislation] https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rhode-island/articles/2017-03-21/rhode-island-house-again-votes-to-ban-revenge-porn
- Kimberly Lawson, Rose McGowan Is Not Standing Down After Nude Photo and Sex Tape Leak, VICE Broadly (March 20, 2017) https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/rose-mcgowan-is-not-standing-down-after-nude-photo-and-sex-tape-leak
- Jennifer Pagliaro, Toronto photographer accused of posting revealing pictures of women without consent, Toronto Star (March 20, 2017) https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/20/toronto-photographer-accused-of-posting-revealing-pictures-of-women-without-consent.html
- Olivia Stefanovich, Alleged Instagram chat prompts discussion on non-consensual distribution of images, CBC News (March 20, 2017) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/alleged-instagram-conversation-selfies-consent-reaction-1.4033152
- Claudia Koerner, The Marines Updated Its Social Media Policy After A Nude Photo Scandal, Buzzfeed (March 20, 2017) https://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/the-marines-updated-its-social-media-policy-after-a-nude
If you support Without My Consent and its education efforts such as the Weekly Roundup, please consider helping us keep it going with a modest donation.
Thanks for Reading!
Without My Consent's Board
About Without My Consent
Without My Consent empowers victims of egregious online privacy violations to lead the fight against online harassment. We document the law as it is.
We identify obstacles to justice. We train lawyers, law enforcement, and advocates. We engage in solutions-oriented work with industry and government. We stand for free speech, privacy, due process, and equality in a digital world.
WMC makes educational materials on these topics available through this website, free of charge. Though the materials provided here are broader in scope, much of our work currently centers on nonconsensual pornography.