Outdoor Adventure Abounds
Even though the summer is nearly half over, there are so many events, activities, and fun things to do before fall sneaks up on us.
Love Water Not Oil Fundraiser
On July 22, Happy Dancing Turtle and Honor the Earth will be co-hosting a fundraising dinner and concert. The event will be from 5:30-8:30pm and money will go to help the 4th annual Love Water Not Oil riders who will be riding horses and paddling canoes across northern Minnesota to protest the proposed Enbridge Line 3 "Sandpiper" pipeline.
Food and refreshments will be provided with live music performed by Annie Humpfrey, Good Sky Boys, and more. There is a $20 suggested donation.
For more information and for tickets, go to Honor The Earth's website www.HonorEarth.org
Broccoli Grape Salad
If you're living in central Minnesota, you're starting to see that the produce coming from the garden has been greens, greens, and more greens. Fortunately for you, now that the summer is starting ramp up, you're going to start seeing more types of greens that aren't the leafy green kind. Here's a recipe that will help you utilize one of nature's more undervalued veggies among kids: Broccoli.
- 3 lbs fresh broccoli
- 1 red onion
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or cashews)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 lb green grapes
- 1/2 lb red grapes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Mix together broccoli, red onion, green and red grapes and raisins and set aside.
- Mix together in a separate bowl mayo, sugar, and apple cider vinegar
- Add bacon and sunflower seeds (or cashews) just before serving
- Add the dressing mix and stir to coat salad well (dressing can be added to taste)
-Thanks "Taste of Home" for the recipe.