Copy
Bones, Parvo, Easter and More
View this email in your browser
Although chocolate is one of our favourite treats, it contains a substance that is toxic to animals, Poisoning happens quite a lot in dogs due to their habit of rapid eating.especially in puppies, but it also affects cats, birds, rodents and Reptiles as well.
Some foods are fine, in moderation, but this is definitely not that case with chocolate. And with Valentines day upon us, followed closely by Easter, we must be vigilant to keep our pets safe. 
It's not just the food but also the wrappers that can be dangerous to our pets.
Chocolate has high concentrations of Caffeine and Theobromine, and can be found in Chocolate, Tea, Coffee, and some medications. Dark Chocolate has higher concentration, followed by Milk, and then White chocolate, without treatment all can have serious consequences in some cases. 

Signs of poisoning:
*Vomiting and Diarrhea within a few hours after digestion. 
*Hyperactivity, tremors and seizures.
*Rapid heart rate
*Excessive urination

Advanced signs include: stiffness; excitement, seizures; sensitive to noise, light and touch. 
Extreme signs: Heart failure, weakness, coma and death. 

If your pets has ingested chocolate, and shows any of the above the symptoms take them immediately to your vet. If possible bring in any vomit with you. If ingestion has occurred, and your pet not showing any symptoms but you are concerned, please feel free to ring us for advice. Chocolate poisoning should not be taken lightly.


At Sugarland Animal Hospital we would love to hear your feedback. If you have a few spare minutes to drop by the clinic, fill in a survey, and let us know how we are doing.


Feeding your dogs bones can be just as beneficial as not, always consult with your Veterinarian for advice before giving your dog any type of bone.
Edible bones which include chicken wings and chicken necks, are soft and pliable. These bones contain Calcium, Phosphorus and some trace minerals that are part of your dogs raw food balanced diet. 
Recreational bones are big sections of bone like beef femur or hips, which are filled with marrow. 
They dont really help with nutrition but theý do provide mental stimulation and bones with meat, cartilage or soft tissue still attached are great for dental hygiene. Recreational bones should only be given to your dog under supervision, they can fragment, or fracture teeth.

DO NOT feed your dog cooked bones. Cooked bones might splinter and cause internal injury to your pet. Cooking bones also removes the nutrients from them.
 
Top health risks of cooked bones: 
*Broken Teeth
*Mouth or Tongue Puncture Injuries
*Bones can get stuck in the Oesophagus, Windpipe, Stomach or Intestines. This can puncture the flesh, cause breathing difficulties, blockages, infections and severe pain. 
*Constipation. Bone fragments can be sharp, making them difficult to pass, possibly even cutting the rectum, causing bleeding and pain. Excess calcium from bones can cause firming of the stool.
*Peritonitis, a nasty infection of the abdomen caused by bones puncturing stomach and or intestines. This is a life threatening injury
Edible bones are an alternative to raw bones that are just as beneficial and with much lower risk.  A high quality Edible bone is softer, fully digestible, helps control plaque and tartar.

Parvovirus is one of the most dangerous infections dogs are exposed to. This disease is highly contagious and is mainly spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their faeces. Due to its tenacity, the virus is easily carried via the hair or feet of infected dogs, contaminated shoes, clothes and other objects. This means that even if your dog never goes to the park or mixes with other dogs, it can be exposed to the virus.

This virus can live in the soil for up to 7 years after an infected dog has been there and is resistant to heat, detergents and alcohol. It can be especially severe in puppies/ dogs that are not protected by vaccination and can result in veterinary hospitalization. If treated early over 80% of dogs will survive. Dogs that become infected with the virus and show clinical signs will usually become ill within 3 – 7 days of the initial infection. Early symptoms will include bloody diarrhoea, lethargy, unwillingness to eat and repeated episodes of vomiting.


Sign up for the next Puppy Preschool now. 

WHAT: All new course, 4 classes covering basic commands, healthcare topics and behaviour problem solving.
WHERE: Sugarland Animal Hospital
WHO: Any puppy aged 8-12 weeks old, and immunised with at least one vaccination. (Vaccination Certificate Required)
WHEN: Classes commence on the first Monday of each month

Our brand new puppy preschool course program will include 4 classes, run over 4 weeks. Any puppy aged between 8-12 weeks and who has received at least their first vaccination is welcome to enrol.
For more details, phone or drop in to the clinic, and be sure to check out Sugarland Vet Clinic on facebook for the latest updates.

Copyright © 2016 Sugarland Vet Clinic, All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp