Copy
Ringworm, Chocolate, Recipe and More..
View this email in your browser
     
From Easter, most of us will have to much chocolate to eat, and just as much as we enjoy it, our four legged friend love the smell also, and will most likely try some, some times try a lot, but this is not good! Chocolate for human consumption is not safe for our pets! Make sure you keep it up out of reach of those inquisitive noses and mouths....

Why is Chocolate Toxic to my pet?

Theobromine is a compound in Cocoa, and cocoa is a main ingredient in Chocolate. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and other pets in certain doses, depending on consumption/weight ratio. Although Chocolate poisoning is well known for dogs, did you know that your cat, mice, birds and other pets can also get sick from it?
Different chocolate has different levels of Theobromine. Cocoa powder, baking chocolate, and dark chocolate contain higher levels when compared to milk chocolate. The toxicity of Theobromine depends on consumption amount, type of chocolate, and the size of the animal.


Symptoms of Theobromine Poisoning include:

Restlessness, Excitement, Hyperactivity, Nervousness, Trembling,
Vomiting, Diarrhea, Increased Drinking, Increased Urinating,
Increased Heart Rate, Muscle Tremors, Seizures, and Possible Death.

If your pet has eaten some chocolate, even if it's only a small amount, you should contact us, your local vet as soon as possible for advice.

 
     
Contrary to the name, ringworm is not a worm, but it is a fungal infection of the top layers of the skin and hair. The kinds of fungi that cause ringworm are called dermatophytes.  Ringworm is highly contagious to humans, especially to the young, the old and anyone with a compromised immune system. If you think you or your pet has ringworm it’s important to seek medical and/or veterinary treatment immediately.

Ringworm can be caught from soil, other people, and also from our pets. It may take up to 14 days for symptoms of infection to appear from exposure. It is one of the few infections that can be passed from animals to humans. In humans ringworm appears as a red, itchy, scaly sore, in the shape of a circle (ring). Due to their furry coat, ringworm can be difficult to spot on our pets. in serious cases, you may notice, excessive "dandruff like" skin scaling, red circular sores on the skin, and possibly circular patches of hair-loss. Cattle, Horses and other farm animals can also contract ringworm.
 

Ringworm on front legs of a dog.

If you think your pet has Ringworm, take them to your vet asap. There is several diagnostic tests that can done to determine the type of ringworm it may be, or if there's another skin issues involved.

The treatment for the more common mild ringworm is typically a cream or ointment applied to the affected skin. A anti-fungal shampoo maybe prescribed if the infection is widespread.
More severe cases may also be given oral medication.

It is recommended that you do a thorough clean of your home environment to remove any contaminated hairs at the same time you are treating your pets, this limits the chance of reinfection.

if you are in high risk area, it's been advise to follow these easy steps to minimize your pets risk of infection.
  • Regularly wash your pets bedding.
  • Replacement of their brushes/combs.
  • Regular vacuuming to remove skin cells and hair from your home environment.

Have a go at our

Easter Crossword!
 
Follow the link, click a box to get the clue!

Good Luck.

Daffodils are toxic to both cats and dogs. The whole plant is Toxic, especially the bulbs.
It contains two alkaloids, narcissine (lycorine) which inhibits protein synthesis,
and galantamine.
 
      
 

Symptoms:
  • Vomiting & Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Excessive Drooling
  • Low Blood Pressure
  • Seizures
  • Breathing Problems
  • Abdominal Pain
Always seek immediate veterinarian assistance if your dog or cat has eaten any part of a daffodil!
The Mutts Nuts Dog Biscuits

Ingredients
  • 110g of smooth peanut butter (one with no added anything, just peanuts)
  • 85g of honey
  • 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
  • 225ml of homemade chicken stock
  • 150g rolled oats
  • 250g coconut flour
Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 175C, 350F.

 
  1. Mix together the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and chicken broth. In a separate bowl, combine the rolled oats and coconut flour.
  2. Tip the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix together well until you have a dough you can roll out. If the mix is too dry add a little water or left over stock. If it’s too wet add a little more flour.
  3. On a floured surface roll the dough out to about ¼ inch thick. Use a small cutter to cut out the biscuits, whichever size is right for your dog.
  4. Transfer the biscuits to a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until done.
  5. Leave to cool for a minute then transfer on to a cooling rack.

These will keep in an airtight container for up to a week. Or you can freeze them.
Copyright © 2017 Sugarland Vet Clinic, All rights reserved.


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp