Crystal Lake Regatta This Saturday
This Saturday we travel to Crystal Lake, IL, for the Greater Chicago Juniors Rowing Championship. This exciting event, hosted by the Crystal Lake Rowing Club, is set on the Main Beach of Crystal Lake in a charming residential community. CRRC is one of 12 teams who compete in Chicagoland's premier junior rowing event. Parents are reminded that we have no buses
booked for this regatta, so transportation is the responsibility of participants. Since rowers are not allowed to drive themselves to the event, transportation arrangements must be finalized and reported to coaches at Thursday's practice. Families are encouraged to make the 100-mile drive to Crystal Lake and enjoy a beautiful day of racing. Concessions are available onsite and there are several eateries within walking distance of the park. T-shirts and sweatshirts from this event are always in hot demand and usually feature the blade of each participating club. These will be available for sale in the main building. Coaches' and coxswains' meeting is at 8am and the first race runs at 9:00. Click here
to link to driving directions. Parking is available in the lot directly across the street from the beach and volunteers will be on hand to help direct traffic to overflow parking. A map of the race course can be accessed here
. Dogs are not allowed in the park. Click here
for CRRC's itinerary for the day, packing suggestions, and further details. Racing should wrap up by 4:00pm.
Madison Water Sports Expo May 15
On Sunday, May 15, CRRC will be participating in the Madison Water Sports Expo. This event runs from 10-2:00 at the Brittingham Boat Shelter and showcases the myriad water sport opportunities in the Madison area. Representatives will provide information about sailing, kite boarding, water skiing, log rolling, and of course rowing. This is an excellent opportunity to tell the public about our organization and the many benefits of junior rowing! Volunteers are needed to help event organizers and to represent CRRC at the event. Click here
to sign up to help out, or see Volunteer Opportunities below. Click here
to view the event flyer for more detailed information, or see the event website
submitted by Sarah Pfau
LET'S SHOW THE LOVE!
(coach love, that is)
In addition to recognizing our rowers, the Team Banquet and Celebration on June 2nd is an opportunity to show CRRC coaches how thankful we are for their commitment to the team. They dedicate incredible amounts of time, energy, and expertise to train and mentor our rowers. Please consider the following two ways to show your appreciation:
1) Rowers AND parents are encouraged to write a THANK YOU NOTE to their coach(es). Please share a quick thought with our hardworking coaches, to express gratitude for all they do. The coaches will enjoy reading about a favorite memory, a meaningful lesson learned, or a funny event. "Coach Boxes" will be located in the girl and boy cubby areas to collect notes and cards, and we will present them at the banquet. Coaches might notice the boxes, but they won't know what is in them :) Try to keep this a (little) bit of a surprise. Cards, paper and pens will be near the boxes, so if rowers have a few minutes before or after practice they can jot a note and deposit in the box.
2) We will recognize each coach with a gift card. If you would like to contribute money to purchase gift cards, please give a donation to Sarah Pfau. I'd love help deciding where to get the gift cards, so if you have ideas please let me know.
If you don't catch me at the boathouse or a regatta, checks (made out to Sarah Pfau) can be mailed to Sarah Pfau, 3926 Manitou Way, Madison WI 53711. Please do not leave cash or checks in the boathouse. Cards/notes and money donations should be received by June 1st.
Thank you for helping.
Important Spring Dates
Mark Your Calendars
Please make note of the following Spring season events.
- May 7: Greater Chicago Jr. Regatta, Crystal Lake, IL (No Buses)
- May 14: Novice-Only Dual vs St Charles IL Rowing Club, Team Breakfast
- May 20: Rowers leave Madison for Midwest Regionals Rowers will miss school.
- May 20-22: Midwest Regionals, Cincinnati, OH
- June 10-12: Junior Nationals, West Windsor, NJ Qualifying Varsity Boats Only
- June 2: CRRC Banquet and Dance 5:30-9pm
Spring and Summer Regatta Schedule and Itineraries
- May 7: Greater Chicago Jr Regatta, Crystal Lake, IL (No Buses) Itinerary here
- May 14: Novice-only dual vs St Charles rowing club
- May 20-22: Midwest Regionals, Cincinnati, OH (Fri 5/20 - Leave Madison; Sat & Sun 5/21-22 - Races) Itinerary here
- June 10-12: Junior Nationals, West Windsor, NJ Qualifying Varsity boats only.
- July 9-10: Chicago Sprints, Chicago, IL Itinerary here
- July 22-23: Twin Cities Regatta, Twin Cities, MN Itinerary here
Boathouse Chaperons: We are looking for one adult to sit at the boathouse and supervise if there are any kids that are remaining to either erg or who may have to leave early. We just want to be sure there is an adult at the boathouse for every practice. You are welcome to read, hang by the water or if you are really inspired, we may have some small boathouse tasks that can be easily done while you are there. Click here to sign up! Click here to sign up for Saturday shifts.
Crystal Lake Food: This weekend, volunteers are needed to help transport bins from Scot and Kat's house to the regatta and back again afterward. This is an easy task and only requires a bit of extra cargo space, so even Prius drivers can help with this one! Click here to sign up.
Food for Team Breakfast: Parents are asked to provide items for a team breakfast following the novice scrimmage against St Charles Rowing Club on Saturday, May 14. We need yogurt, toppings, bowls, and utensils, as well as help with set-up and clean-up. Click here to help out.
Madison Water Sports Expo: We need rowers and coxswains to demo on the bay, and several parents to help with event set-up, clean-up, and to hand out CRRC information. Event is on Sunday, May 15. Should be a lot of fun and a great way to spread the word about CRRC! Click here to sign up.
Madison Half Marathon: Spend a fun couple of hours supporting our scholarship fund, directing runners and getting a free t-shirt by volunteering on CCRC's behalf at the Madison Half-Marathon on Sunday, May 29. We really need your help! Anyone over 10 years old is welcome AND all of your family's hours count towards your volunteer requirement. Recruit your siblings, parents and friends for a fun morning. Right now we just need a commitment. In the middle of May there will be a second sign-up where you can choose specific route locations and time shift. Most shifts are about 2 hours. Click here to help out.
Summer Regatta Chaperons: We are in need of chaperons to help out with the 2 regattas we'll race this summer. They are in Chicago on July 9-10, and in the Twin Cities on July 22-23. Chaperons make the regattas possible and have one of the most fun jobs on the crew! Click here to sign up.
Previously Posted, Still Relevant
Novices Scrimmage St Charles Rowing Club May 14
On Saturday, May 14, the CRRC novices will scrimmage in races against the novices of the St. Charles (IL) Rowing Club. The races will run from 7:30-9 and will be followed by an all-team breakfast. Parents and families are encouraged to come out and cheer them on. Please sign up here
to bring items for the breakfast, or see Volunteer Opportunities below.
Chaperons Needed for Summer Regattas
There are 2 regattas scheduled for this summer: Chicago on July 9-10, and Twin Cities on July 22-23. These are excellent regattas with almost guaranteed good weather! Parent chaperons are needed for both. If you're planning on coming anyway, why not sign up to help out the club? Click here
or see Volunteer Opportunities below. The rowers and coaches thank you!
Mendota Rowing Club Offers LearnToRow for Adults
From across the isthmus, Mendota Rowing Club invites CRRC parents to take up rowing. They offer LearnToRow (LTR) classes from May to August, plus early spring Novice Boot Camp and post-LTR-grad rowing with coach Alyssa, and ongoing training and development for sweep rowers and scullers. Please visit their website here
, or email by clicking here
for details about rowing instruction.
For the recruiting video, click here.
For the slightly longer promotional video, click here.
Staying In Touch With CRRC
- Website: http://www.camprandallrc.org
- Email: email@example.com
- Oaracle Newsletter: All the news you need about what's going on at CRRC is sent via the Oaracle. Please sign up on the CRRC webpage. You will find it in the right side-bar under “Subscribe to Oaracle”.
- To Submit Items for the Oaracle: Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @rowCRRC - To sign up, simply text Follow rowCRRC to the # 40404. There’s no extra charge beyond what your regular texting costs. You can also follow our twitter account online by going to www.twitter.com/rowCRRC.
- Instagram: camprandallrc
- YouTube: Check out our page!
WeCanRow Waved Good-bye to Winter wine & cheese party at the boathouse on Wednesday, April 27th, following our final abbreviated winter workout. Thanks to everyone who participated, including our junior moms! Thanks to Coach Melinda to running fantastic workouts and getting us ready for on-the-water season. Special "Thank You" to Julie and Juli for treating us to yoga and massage a couple times a month...it was heavenly!
It's not too late!!!!
Registration is still open for WeCanRow 2016 Spring/Summer season at the website
On-the-water season begins Sunday, May 1st!! Practice schedule for spring and summer is:
Sundays 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Thursdays 5:45 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.
Watch for more information regarding Friends & Family Shore Workouts starting this Spring/Summer. This weekly land workout will be complimentary to all registered WCR crew members.
Our Mission: WeCanRow Madison strives to promote physical wellness through rowing for female cancer survivors throughout all stages of recovery in an environment of support and safety.