Druze officers within the IDF and social leaders will be speaking at Temple Ner Shalom on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 8:00 pm. These soldiers and civilians will present their experience and outlook for Israeli military experiences. Druze fighters are highly respected in the Israeli society. The Zionist Organization of America and several local entities are co-sponsoring this event. See the flyer attached for details.
NOTE: We (JCCSLO News Junkies) will host a film at 6:30 pm at Temple Ner Shalom preceeding the talk, entitled Beneath the Helmet. No charge for this showing or the talk.
Beneath the Helmet is a documentary film about Israeli high school graduates who are also soldiers.
Beneath the Helmet goes behind-the-scenes and explores the lives of five Israeli soldiers who just graduated high school. While their counterparts in the United States are enrolling in college, Israeli teenagers are drafted into a 2-3 year military service to safeguard their homes.
Opponents of Israel paint a grim picture of Israel’s men and women in uniform. But beneath every helmet there is an untold story. It is this story that our film seeks to share.
Meet the cast
In our film, we follow five soldiers from diverse backgrounds and explore the personal stories and motivations that inform their service. The film features:
• Eden, a 20 year-old officer who is charged with the welfare of 30 paratroopers.
• Coral, a female sergeant who considered evading army service but changed her mind after high school.
• Mekonan, an immigrant from Ethiopia who is faced with personal challenges that threaten his service.
• Oren, a lone soldier from Switzerland who volunteered to serve at the age of 18.
• Eilon, the first member of his family to serve in the army.
Please spread the word in the Jewish community and bring friends.