IN THIS ISSUE
6th grade parent potluck this Friday
Sep 17, 2017 08:35 am | From the PTO [Back to top]
Dear 6th Grade Parents and Guardian,
You are invited to a potluck!
This is a wonderful, low-key, no-stress opportunity to meet with other 6th grade parents and build a community for the next 3 years of middle school!
*September 22, 2017 @ 7:00*
12 Willard Street
Please RSVP to Una Simmons – email@example.com
Please bring your own beverage(s) and if your child’s last name begins with:
A – E Please bring a dessert
F – L Please bring a main dish
M – R Please bring a side dish or salad
S – Z Please bring an appetizer
Please note: This is an adult only evening.
If you have any questions or concerns please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supper Stroll: consider hosting a dinner party
Sep 16, 2017 08:47 am | From the PTO [Back to top]
Saturday, November 4, 2017, is the Bigelow PTO Supper Stroll
Please Consider Hosting. We need Dinner Hosts and a Host for Dessert!
We have a host for the appetizer portion of this event. Please consider opening your home to host a dinner or host the dessert gathering. This adult only event has been an enjoyable PTO fundraiser for many years at Bigelow.
The Supper Stroll is a progressive dinner and is held at several homes in succession on one night. A single course served at each home. Everyone meets at one house for drinks & light appetizers where you receive your dinner hosts address, then you go to dinner in groups of 6+ at another then everyone meets at final house for dessert.
Tips for the Supper Stroll Dinners
- Cook what you love!
- Pick a theme if you want “Hot Night in Santorini”, “Gluten Free”, “BBQ or Bust”…
- Join together – one household cooks while the other hosts the dinner.
- Choose recipes that can be made ahead and kept warm until guests arrive.
- Buffet Style works for dinners as does sit-down.
Contact Una Simmons if you have any questions – email@example.com or BigelowBulldog@gmail.com
Bigelow Middle School is now on Twitter
Sep 15, 2017 04:03 pm | From the PTO [Back to top]
Students, parents and the whole school community can now get up-to-the-minute updates on clubs, sports, and other events by following @BulldogWoofs on Twitter.
You can read the Twitterfeed on the Bigelow website, or click on the blue button to “Follow Us” on Twitter. By following us, families can get timely notifications sent right to their cellphones, tablets and computers!
This is a great way to keep informed of meetings for new clubs, changes in sports practices and contests, upcoming events, and much much more.
Go Bulldogs! Woof Woof!
Don’t have a Twitter account yet? Go to www.Twitter.com and set one up.
Bigelow Sports Calendar
Sep 15, 2017 02:09 pm | From the PTO [Back to top]
Fall sports games and meets will be starting next week.
Raising a Resilient Teen: Can your teen bounce back?
Sep 14, 2017 02:47 pm | From the PTO [Back to top]
Presented by the Newton North PTSO:
“Raising a Resilient Teen: Can your teen bounce back?”
- What is resilience and how does it help teens manage adversity, develop adaptive coping strategies, and reach their full potential?
- What practical strategies can parents/guardians use to cultivate resilience in their teenagers (and themselves!)?
- How does resilience apply to the most ambitious and the most vulnerable teenagers?
- How can a focus on resilience guide our handling of social media, drugs and alcohol, college applications, and other challenges?
- What is the role of school and community resources in supporting teens and helping them feel empowered?
When: Wednesday, October 1, 7:00-8:30 p.m.
Where: Newton North High School Auditorium
Who: Susan Swick, M.D., M.P.H.
Chief of child and adolescent psychiatry
Newton Public School parent
Mark Your Calendars
- Thu, Sep 21 - Rosh Hashanah - Recess
- Fri, Sep 22 - 8th Grade Field Trip (details...)
- Mon, Sep 25 - Grade 6 A Field Trip
- Tue, Sep 26 - Grade 6 Parent Breakfast and Coffee 8:30am (details...)
- Thu, Sep 28 - Grade 6 B Field Trip
- Thu, Sep 28 - Grade 8 Car Wash 3:00pm (details...)
View Full Calendar
Community News and Advertisements
Highlights of the week
Come spin to support the Centre Street Food Pantry
If you're looking for more news about the district, local, educational and non-profit events, or services offered by local tutors, merchants, and other service providers, update your profile to receive Weekly Community Notes, sent on Wednesdays. You can also check out the Community Notes page maintained by the Newton PTO Council.
Newton’s Parks & Recreation Fall activities