In this issue:
Bigelow PTO Annual Meeting – Wed, June 7th
May 29, 2017 01:00 pm | From the PTO [Back to top]
All members of the Bigelow Middle School community are part of the PTO and are invited to the Spring Annual Meeting. The 2017/18 budget will be presented and the incoming leadership will be brought forward for a vote of the PTO community. If you would like to become more involved in the strategic aspect of the Bigelow PTO, helping direct and manage the overall program for 2017/18, you are encourage to join the board in one of the open positions. Hope to see you on the 7th!
PTO Spring Annual Meeting
Wed, June 7th 2017, from 7pm to 8pm
Proposed 2017-2018 Officers, Directors and Nominating Committee Members
- Co-President (Officer) – Jessica Gilmartin
- Co-President – Jennifer Weber
- Co-Vice President Fundraising (Officer) – open
- Co-Vice President Fundraising – open
- Co-Treasurer (Officer) – Miriam Alandydy
- Co-Treasurer – Michelle Welford
- Co-Secretary (Officer) – Joana Canedo
- Co-Secretary – open
- Co-President 2018/19 – open
- Past-President* – Marcia Hernon
*this position is by right and not subject to approval
- Nominating Committee** – Tracy Carroll (returning)
- Nominating Committee – from Ward feeder school – open
- Nominating Committee – from Lincoln-Elliot feeder school – open
**One member of the Nominating Committee serves as the Chair and one member of the Board of Directors is appointed by the Board to serve on the Nominating Committee
Volunteers needed for Car Wash and Bake Sale – June 8th
May 29, 2017 12:52 pm | From the PTO [Back to top]
The 8th grade will be holding a Car Wash and Bake Sale on Thursday June 8th from 3pm to 4:30pm. This is a fun event for the 8th grade students and all proceeds will go towards funding 8th grade year end events!
We need parent volunteers to help with the car wash, to sell baked goods, and to BAKE!
Please sign up here if you can bake some treats! To volunteer with the car wash or the bake sale, please click here.
If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bigelow Beautification 2017 Pictures
May 29, 2017 12:18 pm | From the PTO [Back to top]
On April 30th, dozens of volunteers worked hard at Bigelow, building a fence, spreading tons of mulch, pruning and raking dozens of bags of brush, and in general sprucing up the grounds and entrance to the school.
We just received great pictures of that day. Please take a look here.
This is a good opportunity to thank again all of our Bigelow families and staff who worked for Bigelow during NewtonServes Day.
Step-Up Day, Friday, June 9
May 27, 2017 08:54 am | From the PTO [Back to top]
From the Principal’s Office
Please mark you calendars for Step-Up Day, Friday, June 9. All sixth graders will be dismissed at 11:30am on this day, so that fifth graders can visit Bigelow, and the usual bus routes will run then. Seventh graders have a full day and will be dismissed at 2:45pm. Eighth graders also have a full day. They will leave Bigelow at 11:30am to visit Newton North High School, and then return by 2:45pm to Bigelow for dismissal. The usual bus routes will run again for 7th and 8th graders at 2:45pm. A flyer is attached .
Also, several parents of rising seventh and eighth graders have asked about math classes in these grades. Attached is a letter with information about 7th and 8th grade math classes at Bigelow.
Haiku Contest Results
May 27, 2017 08:40 am | From the PTO [Back to top]
From the Library
- Over 50 students submitted haikus
- Haikus were judged on creativity, originality, and attention to haiku form
- A panel of teacher judges chose three top winners and three honorable mentions
- The haikus are displayed on a bulletin board in the library
- Parents are invited to come in and take a look before or after school
- Winners have blue stickers on them and honorable mentions have red stickers
Bigelow Outreach Club sponsors Paint Bar Event – June 7th
May 27, 2017 07:19 am | From the PTO [Back to top]
Come and demonstrate your artistic talents at the Paint Bar in West Newton on June 7th, from 6:30 to 9:30 pm
The Bigelow Outreach Club is sponsoring a night of painting and raising money for the SEGA Girls School in Tanzania! Tickets to the event are $50.00 per person – half of the proceeds go directly to the SEGA School. Order forms with more details will be distributed in homebases during the week of May 1st and can be downloaded here. More information can be found on the Outreach Club’s website. This event is open to kids (over the age of 8) and adults.
Please reserve your spots as soon as possible, because the Paint Bar will open this event up to the general public in mid-May. Let’s make this an all Bigelow event!
Mahalo! We had a great Big Night
May 22, 2017 09:26 am | From the PTO [Back to top]
It was a lovely evening where Bigelow parents, guardians, friends, teachers and staff munched on great food, sipped the Hawaiian Sunrise, bid on great items and most importantly, reconnected with old friends and met new ones. Check out some pictures.
The event raised over $14,000, which will go towards curriculum-enriching programs such as the Creative Arts and Sciences, student scholarships, school grounds upkeep, classroom supplies, as well as gym and technology items not covered by the regular school budget.
MANY THANKS to all who attended, who participated in the auction and to the people and businesses who donated goods, services as well as their time and talents to make our Big Night a great night.
Specifically, thank you to:
- Our wonderful dynamic duo, co-chairs ~ Tammy McKenna and Beth Panella ~ who worked long hours to bring a great concept to fruition.
- The Big Night Committee members for their time and energy to make the whole night come together. They are: Andrea Hemment, Anush Sahakian, Jenifer Siegelman, Jesene Godfrey, Jordana Alford, Joana Canedo, Kyra Mercado, Lex Van der Ploeg, Ola Agoro, Valerie Pontiff.
- The wonderful Bigelow staff who donated one-of-a-kind items to the auction: Christine Langlois, Crista Cavicchio, Felicia Bennington, Jess Parlon, Joe Eckstrom, Kyra Mercado, Kim LeQuire, Meghan Martin, Michele Parker, Patty Summa, Todd Harrison.
- The volunteers who helped make the evening flawless: Alex Mercado, Aram Brunson, Don McKenna, George Brunson, Megan White, Rob White, Roberta Loredo, Shane McKenna, Tripti Thomas-Travers.
- The local companies who donated or gave us discounts on delectable food, thirst-quenching beverages and various other things: BG Events & Catering, Sensational Foods, Catering with Distinction, Tastings Caterers, Antoine’s Pastry Shop, The Icing on the Cake, Gordon’s Wine, Taylor Rental, Be Our Guest, Central Rock Gym. Please frequent these businesses and use their services!
- The many businesses and organizations who donated items to our silent auction. For a complete list, click here http://bigelowpto.org/big-night-2017-donors/: Please support them!
- To anyone else who contributed to the evening who we forgot to list. Our apologies!
For information about the items you won at the auction, and how to get them, click here: What did you win at the Big Night Auction? or contact us by e-mail: email@example.com
Please take a look at the final 6 items left on the catalog.
Mark Your Calendars
Wed, May 31 - Grade 8 Field Trips
Wed, Jun 07 - Bigelow PTO Spring Annual Meeting 7:00pm
Thu, Jun 08 - Grade 8 Carwash 3:00pm
Thu, Jun 08 - Sports Night at Newton North 6:30pm
Fri, Jun 09 - Step Up Day
Fri, Jun 09 - GRADE 6 ONLY- Early Release 11:30am
View Full Calendar
Community News and Advertisements
Highlights of the week
If you're looking for more news about the district, local, educational and non-profit events, or services offered by local tutors, merchants, and other service providers, update your profile to receive Weekly Community Notes. You can also check out the Community Notes page maintained by the Newton PTO Council.