Significant Conference on Eradication of Extreme Poverty in Bangladesh
The General Economic Division (GED) of the Planning Commission of Bangladesh, in collaboration with Bangladesh Bank and Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS) organized an important conference “Towards Sustained Eradication of Extreme Poverty in Bangladesh” with the support from Department for International Development (DFID) and EEP/Shiree held at the NEC Conference Room, Planning Commission of Bangladesh on April 8-9, 2015.
The Honorable Minister, Ministry of Planning Mr. A H M Mustafa Kamal (Lotus Kamal) inaugurated the conference whilst State Minister for Finance and Planning, UNDP Country Director in Bangladesh and many others spoke and presented papers on the occasion.
Click here read details about the conference and press coverage.
Papers and presentations of the conference:
To read the papers and presentations, please click here.
Policy Strategy proposed by the Member GED of Planning Commission in the Extreme Poverty Conference:
- Extreme poverty eradication prioritised in the next Five Year Plan
- Greater budget allocation for extreme poverty eradication using National Social Security Strategy
- Achieve growth at 7% rate
- Scale up and expand successful targeted extreme poverty programmes like EEP/Shiree, CLP, TUP etc.
- Scale up and target more effectively Government Social Protection programmes
- Invest more in human capital development and ensure equality of opportunity in order to ensure the extreme poor become more resilient
- Consider ways of strengthening institutional capacity to support extreme poverty eradication initiatives (Permanent Secretariat in Planning Commission, perhaps at GED) to ensure state and society buy-in.