NEWSLETTER APRIL 2020
WHAT WE HAVE BEEN DOING
This year Caroline Star stepped down as our Chair of Trustees to focus on her family and work commitments. We will miss her enthusiasm and determination to raise awareness. In January, we welcomed two new trustees, Angela and Suzie. Both of them bring their own skills and CMV experiences to our Board and we are delighted to have expanded our team.
We have looked back at everything we achieved in 2019 and are very proud to say these included:
- Publishing our report Counting the Cost which showed congenital CMV costs £750 million every year
- Doing live interviews on TV and Radio and writing articles.
- Collaborating with 24 other charities and the All Party Parliamentary Group on Baby Loss
- Training webinars for over 50 professionals.
- Attending 9 professional conferences.
2019 was a busy year but all the projects and important work continues in 2020 when we will:
- Support families and professionals via our Helpline, and through our website and social media.
- Continue to be involved with RACEFIT research into educating pregnant women on hygiene precautions.
- Continue to talk to vaccine companies about their work on a CMV vaccination.
- Continue to collaborate with professionals looking into a CMV diagnostic test.
- Continue to work in many areas to engage with and raise awareness with midwives and health professionals.
- Explore ways to use social media to help CMV families support each other.
CORONA (COVID19) VIRUS AND CMV
The current situation on the Covid19 virus is a focus for everyone at the moment. We have made a few changes to the support we offer. We would ask that wherever possible you email us your support enquiry as our Helpline is very busy. We will not be sending any literature in the post to try to avoid extra work and risks to our volunteers. You can access everything on the website. However, all our support volunteers are working from home and we are still able to support you with any queries or concerns arising from the CMV virus. We are receiving advice from our medical expert and this can be found on our website https://cmvaction.org.uk/news/coronavirus
Please also check government website for details of who is considered vulnerable and to keep updated. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19
. Please continue to check our website for updates.
We can assure you all that our work on raising awareness and offering support still continues.
LASTLY AND IMPORTANTLY
THANK YOU to all our amazing supporters. Thank you for fundraising on our behalf or donating money. Thank you to those who tweet us or message us. We are so grateful for your support and cannot do our work without it. We rely on donations and our fundraising opportunities are currently severely limited so if you can spare some money at this difficult time please consider a one-off donation, regular donations or perhaps a sponsored event in the future. Please follow this link to find out more
….the work goes on, please help us to continue.
these are strange times with many of us at home. Please do take care of yourselves and your family and keep in touch with us all.
Angela, Amy, Jan, Kate, Liz, Sarah, Suzie, Tom