Dear Valued Customer,
Fall has arrived, and with this new season comes lots of new and exciting things in HeinOnline! Last month we released Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases. Stay tuned for an imminent announcement of an exciting new database! We also have a new Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (IFLP) update, came to a new agreement with Clearinghouse Review to reduce the embargo on this title in HeinOnline, and more!
This month more than one million pages were added to HeinOnline! We updated hundreds of journals in our Law Journal Library, including the addition of the Irish Jurist, more than 1,800 congressional documents were added to our U.S. Congressional Documents database, and more than 30 new titles were added to Religion and the Law.
Be sure to check out how to cite-check in seconds with HeinOnline; a recent post on helpful resources for law students; this month's Oral Histories update; and October's Trivia!
Please take a moment to read the September Newsletter.
HeinOnline Marketing Department
SEPTEMBER CONTENT RELEASE
Below is a summary of some of the notable titles included in this month's release.
- Law Journal Library
- Animals - (also included in Animal Studies: Law, Welfare and Rights)
- Asian Business Lawyer - Indexed in IFLP!
- German Yearbook of International Law - Indexed in IFLP!
- Global Environmental Law Annual
- Irish Jurist
- Journal of International and Comparative Law
- Pravni Letopis
- Legal Classics: 60 new titles added, including:
- Articles on Antiquity in Festschriften, an Index: The Ancient Near East, the Old Testament, Greece, Rome, Roman Law, Byzantium - Cambridge: Harvard Univ. Press, 1963 - Dorothy Rounds, Compiler
- Final Report of the Independent Counsel (in re: Madison Guaranty Savings & Loan Association) in re: William David Watkins and in re: Hillary Rodham Clinton - Washington: U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2000 - Robert W. Ray
- Institutional History of Virginia in the Seventeenth Century: An Inquiry into the Religious, Moral, Educational, Legal, Military, and Political Condition of the People Based on Original and Contemporaneous Records - 2v. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1910 - Philip Alexander Bruce
- Leviathan: Or, the Matter, Forme and Power of a Commonwealth, Ecclesiasticall and Civil - New York: Collier Books, 1962 - Thomas Hobbes & Michael Oakeshott, Editors
- Readings in the Economics of Taxation - Homewood, Ill: Published for the Association by R.D. Irwin, 1959
- Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service - Washington: U.S. Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare, 1964
- Text-Book of Roman Law from Augustus to Justinian - Cambridge [England]: University Press, 1921 - W.W. Buckland
- Intellectual Property Law Collection: 2 new titles added, including:
- Conference on Fair Use: Final Report to the Commissioner on the Conclusion of the Conference on Fair Use - Washington: Working Group on Intellectual Property Rights of the Information Infrastructure Task Force, 1998 - Bruce A. Lehman
- Religion and the Law: 34 new titles added, including:
- Documents from Old Testament Times - New York: Harper, 1961 - D. Winton Thomas, Editor
- Islam - New York: G. Braziller, 1961 - John Alden Williams, Editor
- Scriptural and Statistical Views in Favor of Slavery - Richmond: J.W. Randolph, 1856 - Thornton Stringfellow
- Scriptural, Ecclesiastical, and Historical View of Slavery, from the Days of the Patriarch Abraham, to the Nineteenth Century: Addressed to the Right Rev. Alonzo Potter, D.D. - New-York: W. I. Pooley & Co., 1864 - John Henry Hopkins
- State Reports: A Historical Archive: 22 new titles added, including:
- Boyce's Delaware Reports - 7v. Wilmington: Printed by the Mercantile Printing Co., 1912-1920
- Delaware Reports - 20v. Wilmington: Mercantile Printing Co., 1919-1958
- Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of Vermont - 17v. St. Paul: West Pub. Co., 1888-1891
- Reports of Cases Determined in the Supreme Court of the State of Utah - 24v. Chicago: Callaghan & Co., 1896-1909
- Wisconsin Reports: Cases Determined in the Supreme Court of Wisconsin - 15v. Callaghan & Co.,1957-1962
- Taxation & Economic Reform in American Parts I & II: 2 new titles added, including:
- Postwar Taxation and Economic Progress - New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co, 1946 - Harold M. Groves
- U.S. Attorney General & Department of Justice Collection: 1 new title added:
- Convicted by Juries, Exonerated by Science: Case Studies in the Use of DNA Evidence to Establish Innocence after Trial
- U.S. Federal Agency Documents, Decisions, and Appeals: 15 new titles added, including:
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Reports - 118v. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1996
- U.S. Federal Legislative History Library: 1 new title added:
- USA Patriot Act: A Legislative History of the Uniting and Strengthening of America by Proving Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act, Public Law No. 107-56 (2001). Series IV, Vols. 22-26 - 5v. Getzville: William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2016 - William H. Manz, Editor
- U.S. International Trade: 3 new titles added, including:
- Summary of the U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement - Washington: United States Department of Commerce, 1988
- U.S. Treaties and Agreements Library: 3 new titles added, including:
- Polar Prospects: A Minerals Treaty for Antarctica - Washington: Office of Technology Assessment, 1989
- U.S. Congressional Documents: 1,877 new titles added, including:
- Women and the Law (Peggy): 5 new titles added, including:
- History of the Women Marines, 1946-1977 - Washington: History and Museums Division, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, 1986 - Mary V. Stremlow
- World Constitutions Illustrated: 23 new titles added, including:
- Athenian Constitution; the Eudemian Ethics; On Virtues and Vices - Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1935 - Aristotle & G. Rackham, Translator
- World Treaty Library: 4 new titles added, including:
- Corpus Juris Gentium Academicum, Enthaltend die Vornehmsten Grundgestze - 2v. Leipzig: Bey J.F. Gleditschens seel. Sohn, 1730 - Johann Jacob Schmauss
Notable Titles Added to the Law Journal Library
Animals: Vols. 1-135 (1868-2002) All Published; Title Varies: Vols. 1-103#3 (1868-1970) as Our Dumb Animals. This publication was significant in the early animal advocacy movement, and was the first magazine in the United States dedicated to themes around animal welfare and kindness to all species. It is a mixture of articles, humor, poems, and information. This journal will also be included in Animal Studies: Law, Welfare and Rights.
Asian Business Lawyer: Vols. 1-17 (2008-2016). The Asian Business Lawyer (hereinafter, the "ABL") is a law journal in the English language published by the Legal Research Institute of Korea University (hereinafter, the KLRI) in Seoul, Korea. The journal has an international Editorial Board with editorial input from Faculty members of the School of Law, Korea University assisted by graduate level students. The primary goal of the journal is thus to focus on important and contemporary business law issues in Asian countries including recent developments. The journal is aimed both at legal practitioners and scholars working in the field of business law (widely defined) from national, international and comparative perspectives.
German Yearbook of International Law: Full Text: Vols. 1-52 1949-2009). Indexed: Vols. 1-57 (1948-2014). The German Yearbook of International Law, founded as the Jahrbuch fur Internationales Recht, provides an annual report on new developments in international law and is edited by the Walther Schucking Institute for International Law at the University of Kiel and published by Duncker & Humblot. Since its inception in 1948, the Yearbook has endeavoured to make a significant academic contribution to the ongoing development of international law. Over many decades the Yearbook has moved beyond its origins as a forum for German scholars to publish their research and has become a highly-regarded international forum for innovative scholarship in international law. In 1976, the Yearbook adopted its current title and began to publish contributions written in English in order to reach the largest possible international audience. This editorial decision has enabled the Yearbook to successfully overcome traditional language barriers and inform an international readership about current research in German academic institutions and, at the same time, to present international viewpoints to its German audience. Fully aware of the paramount importance of international practice, the Yearbook publishes contributions from active practitioners of international law on a regular basis. The Yearbook also includes critical comments on German State practice relating to international and EU law, as well as international reactions to that practice.
Global Environmental Law Annual: 1993-2016. Published since 1993, the Global Environmental Law Annual covers a wide variety of worldwide issues surrounding law and the environment, including pollution, resource protection, endangered species, waste dumping, and much more.
Irish Jurist: Full Text: Vols. 1-52 (1966-2014). Indexed: Vols. 1-55 (1966-2016). The Irish Jurist is Ireland's oldest academic law journal. Since the inauguration of the new series in 1966, the journal has been edited by members of the UCD School of Law. The Jurist publishes material in all fields of law and welcomes submissions from Ireland and abroad, though editorial policy is to strike a balance between material of local and general interest. The Jurist publishes peer-reviewed articles within the broad categories of modern and historical jurisprudence, as well as shorter comments, case notes and book reviews.
Journal of International and Comparative Law: Vols. 1-2 (2014-2015). JICL promotes truly international legal research and scholarship encouraging new insights into law in context. It publishes expert accounts and thought provoking assessments of important theoretical or jurisprudential questions. JICL encourages discussion of contemporary issues of law not only those conventionally in the areas of international law and comparative law, but also national and regional legal developments which will be of interest to a much wider audience. It welcomes interdisciplinary contributions especially those that tangibly link such disciplines as social sciences, economics, international politics, media studies and other fields of research and academic debate that may be more empirically based but of major significance in influencing the focus and reform of law in its national and global contexts.
Pravni Letopis: 2008-2015. This is a scientific journal of the Institute of Comparative Law at the Faculty of Law, which has been published since 2008. Post new scientific articles and in-depth discussions and expert input , addressing the issue in various areas of law, especially civil, commercial, labor, administrative and constitutional law, with particular emphasis on comparative legal aspects into account. The purpose of the magazine is to encourage the development of Slovenian and European legal science and the sharing of findings between legal theory and legal practice. Each issue of the magazine consists of several themes to be determined by the editorial board, at least one set dedicated to the topic of current research Institute.
IFLP 2015:4 now available online!
Issue 2015:4 is now available in HeinOnline's Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals. This new issue, which is not yet available in hard copy, contains the following:
- British Journal of American Legal Studies (UK)
- Electronic Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law (Switzerland)
- Hungarian Yearbook of International Law and European Law (Netherlands)
- The Indonesian Journal of International & Comparative Law (Indonesia)
- International Journal for the Semiotics of Law (Netherlands)
- Journal of Comparative Law in Africa (South Africa)
- Medicine and Law (USA)
- Revista Brasileira de Arbitragem (Brazil)
- Russia Law Journal (Russia)
- Veredas de Direito (Brazil)
- Yonsei Law Journal (South Korea)
- Recht nach dem Arabischen Frühling: Beiträge zum islamischen Recht IX -- Tagungsband zu Ehren des 80. Geburtstags von Professor em. Dr. Omaia Elwan, 2012
- Data protection Anno 2014: how to restore trust? Contributions in honour of Peter Hustinx, European Data Protection Supervisor (2004-2014), 2014
- Festschrift für Ulrich Magnus zum 70. Geburtstag, 2014
- Festskrift till Stig Strömholm, Vols. 1-2, 1997
- The method and culture of comparative law: essays in honour of Mark Van Hoecke, 2014
- Festskrift til Erik Werlauff, 2012
Embargo with Clearinghouse Review adds 5 more years of full text volumes
Clearinghouse Review and HeinOnline have agreed to new terms which has reduced the embargo from a 6-year moving wall to a 1-year moving wall.
Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases
Now Available Online Exclusively through HeinOnline
The American Bar Association's Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases is a publication that provides comprehensive expert analysis of all cases before the Supreme Court prior to the arguments. A subscription to this online publication includes eight issues annually. Issues 1-7 summarize the Court's seven argument sessions from October through April. Issue 8, which is published subsequent to the close of the Court's term at the end of June, reviews the entire term using statistics, charts, essays, and case summaries.
New Features of ABA Supreme Court Preview in HeinOnline
Since the American Bar Association's Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases has been added to HeinOnline, subscribers now have a substantial advantage when accessing this publication. HeinOnline allows users the ability to view the most current issue and archives in a fully searchable database. All PDFs of the publication are available in full color. Inline hyperlinks within this title make it easy to access other cited articles and cases in HeinOnline.
NEW HEINONLINE FEATURES
Enhancements to Session Laws Library
Our monthly update of Session Laws continues as we index to the chapter level or act level in 10-year increments, in reverse chronological order, starting with the states that are ranked highest by access for HeinOnline users.
The following states have been further indexed this month from 1994-2004.
NEW: Buddhism, Law and Society
Introducing Buddhism, Law & Society
Buddhism, Law & Society is the first interdisciplinary academic journal to focus on the relationship between Buddhism, law, and society. Buddhism and its many social and legal manifestations are a central area of interest for the journal, as are the state's legal relations to Buddhist actors, institutions and texts.
Articles on jurisprudence, philosophy, procedure, local community practices, ethics, and social sanctions, both historical and contemporary, as they relate to Buddhism and law in society in Asian and global contexts are all welcome. The journal welcomes submissions from legal practitioners as well as academics in a wide variety of disciplines in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Law.
Volume 1 now available
The premise of this journal is that Buddhism affected the political and legal structures of the countries where it was practiced over the past 2,500 years and the countries where it is currently practiced. At the same time, the political and legal systems of those Asian countries also regulated and exerted control over Buddhist sanctuaries and Buddhist practitioners within their jurisdictions and often still do. This journal aims to pursue these relations and makes no assumption as to how large or small those effects are.
Volume 1 includes:
- Articles on the internal rules central to Buddhism's religious practices, including whether or not a woman could reach enlightenment in this lifetime
- Rules pertaining to the desecration of Buddhist monuments
- An essay on how to correctly form a ritual space in which to ordain a monk or nun
- And more!
Buddhism, Law & Society
Editor: Rebecca R. French
Item #: 1004221
Publisher: Getzville; William S. Hein & Co., Inc.; 2016
Volume 1 (2015-2016).........$70.00
Volume 1 (2015-2016)..........$83.00
LEND HEIN A HAND
Can your library help?
Click here to see the materials we are looking for.
If your library is in possession of this type of material and is willing to donate to us for digitization, please contact Shane Marmion at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-882-2600. Please note: we would prefer to be able to cut the material for scanning and would provide electronic copies (PDFs) and/or credit in return.
CITE-CHECK IN SECONDS WITH HEINONLINE
For law review associates, cite-checking is one of the most tedious parts of the law school experience. Luckily, HeinOnline long ago made it a goal to improve the legal research process for everyone, including law students.
In the past, cite-checking meant hours in a library, slowly and methodically retrieving print copies of journals, the United States Code, United States Reports, and more. From there, cite-checkers would locate each corresponding passage of text to ensure that all material was quoted, analyzed, and cited correctly. Today, HeinOnline's image-based, fully searchable content makes it possible to easily verify cited material from wherever you are.
HELPFUL RESOURCES FOR LAW STUDENTS
The beginning of September means that most law students are either heading back to class, or beginning their legal studies. The law school workload is undeniably intense, and HeinOnline is here to help. In addition to being the world's largest image-based government document and legal research database, HeinOnline also features fully searchable content and a wealth of tools to improve the legal research experience. It's a favorite resource among law librarians, professors, students, and other legal professionals. The following is just a snapshot of the various help materials available to all HeinOnline users.
NEW CONTENT ADDED AND CONTINUING GROWTH OF HEINONLINE
It's official: University of North Carolina Press legal titles have been added to all U.S. Core subscriptions free of charge! Access the new titles in the UNC Press Law Publications collection from the HeinOnline Welcome page.
These titles cover a wide range of subjects, including the AIDS pandemic, slavery, religion, immigration, and more. Both current and historical titles are included, and all books are available as full-color PDFs.
A TALE OF TWO CUSTOMER SUGGESTIONS
HeinOnline has always been receptive to customer feedback—many of our best tools have resulted from users' ideas. We offer multiple methods of feedback submission, including email, phone, live chat, a feedback form, and social media. Recently, we were able to implement two new features in our print/download tool, thanks to users' suggestions.
PDFs Now Link Back to HeinOnline Documents
Recently, Twitter user @davidlnoll requested that we "add a clickable link in downloaded PDFs that takes you back to where the file came from in HeinOnline." We contacted David on Twitter with a proposed solution, and the new feature became available with the August HeinOnline content release. The new link will be helpful to law review cite-checkers and anyone else who needs to quick return to the HeinOnline document from the downloaded PDF.
HEINONLINE WORLD CONSTITUTIONS ILLUSTRATED: AUGUST UPDATE
Constitution Day 2016 is being observed on September 16. This holiday is also known as "Citizenship Day," and it's held annually on September 17 to recognize the adoption of the U.S. Constitution and those who have become U.S. citizens. We would like our users to join us in celebrating this important day and welcoming the newest U.S. citizens to our country!
With the August release, 27 new documents and 23 new titles have been added to World Constitutions Illustrated; see below for details.
TOP 100 JOURNALS: A NEW COMPARISON
Back in July, an analysis was released on the HeinOnline blog which compared the depth of HeinOnline's journal content with five other legal research databases. Shortly after the post was published, a customer emailed to ask if a comparison was available between HeinOnline and the EBSCO Index to Legal Periodicals (H.W. Wilson). This database was not included in the original comparison, so the same process was used to compare its content with that of HeinOnline.
Washington and Lee University's Law Journal Ranking Project was used to determine the list of the top 100 law journals, according to the Ranking Project's combined score. Journal rankings on this list are determined by this ranking methodology. Next, lists were compiled of both indexing and full-text coverage for these 100 journals for HeinOnline and EBSCO Index to Legal Periodicals (H.W. Wilson).
MONTHLY CATALOG OF UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT PUBLICATIONS, 1895-2004
The Hein Company has made it a mission to bridge the gap in legal history by providing comprehensive coverage from inception of as much material as possible. With the August content release, another title was completed back to inception: Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications. Coverage of this title includes 1895-2004.
Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications was established by the Printing Act of January 12, 1895. This publication was issued monthly by the Superintendent of Documents for the Government Printing Office, and cataloged all publications of the United States government, including those issued by Congress and all executive departments. (This publication excludes confidential or restricted documents.)
8 HELPFUL RESOURCES FOR LIBRARIANS
At HeinOnline, we understand that librarians are constantly adjusting to technical changes as they perform and assist with a multitude of research endeavors across several databases.
Last fall, we updated our interface. The appearance was streamlined, and new tools were created for a more user-friendly research experience. As a result, we've created many new help resources. The following is a snapshot of various resources we offer for librarians, as well as help materials available for both new and experienced HeinOnline users to get the most from their subscriptions.
NEW ORAL HISTORY VIDEOS
New video interviews now available!
New video interviews are available in An Oral History of Law Librarianship in Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf, which now includes more than 200 videos!
The video interviews this month feature:
Not subscribed to Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf?
- Mon Yin Lung - Associate Director - University of Houston O'Quinn Law Library - Houston, TX
Click here to view a complete brochure>>
Remember to check out our newly available Oral Histories on HeinOnline's Youtube Channel as well as on the Hein Blog every Friday!
NOTIFICATION OF TITLE CHANGES
Submissions by Judge Hastings: Hearings before the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice of the Committee on the Judiciary, House of Representatives, One Hundredth Congress, second session, pursuant to H. Res 128, impeaching Alcee L. Hastings, judge of the United States District Court ... May 18, 19, 24, 25, 26, June 1, 9, July 6 and 7, 1988.
UNCITRAL - The United Nations Commission on International Trade Law
Special Study on United Nations Sub-Oceanic Lands Policy. Hearings before the Committee on Commerce, United States Senate, Ninety-First Congress, First Session
Condition of the Banking Industry, November 30, 2008
Argentina's Defaulted Sovereign Debt: Dealing with the Holdouts (R41029)
February 6, 2013
Buy American Act - Preferences for Domestic Supplies: In Brief (R43140)
April 26, 2016
Charitable Contributions for Haiti's Earthquake Victims (R41036)
January 22, 2010
China's Assistance and Government-Sponsored Investment Activities in Africa, Latin America, and Southeast Asia (R40940)
November 25, 2009
Department of Defense's Use of Private Security Contractors in Afghanistan and Iraq: Background, Analysis, and Options for Congress (R40835)
May 13, 2011
Documents relating to the committee's hearing on the proposed tobacco settlement, November 13, 1997 [electronic resource] / Committee on Commerce, U.S. House of Representatives.
Don't Ask, Don't Tell: A Legal Analysis (R40795)
August 6, 2013
Financial Crisis: Impact on and Response by the European Union (R40415)
June 24, 2009
Future of NASA: Space Policy Issues Facing Congress (R41016)
January 27, 2011
International Terrorism and Transnational Crime: Security Threats, U.S. Policy, and Considerations for Congress (R41004-2010)
January 5, 2010
Iran's Nuclear Program: Tehran's Compliance with International Obligations (R40094)
April 28, 2014
Members' Representational Allowance: History and Usage (R40962)
November 25, 2013
National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) - Responsibilities and Potential Congressional Concerns (R41022)
December 19, 2011
National Intelligence Council (NIC): Issues and Options for Congress (R40505)
December 27, 2011
Presidential References to the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force in Publicly Available Executive Actions and Reports to Congress
May 11, 2016
Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative: Lessons Learned and Issues for Congress (R41836)
April 27, 2016
Sense of Resolutions and Provisions (98-825)
May 16, 2016
Sentencing Reform Act of 2015 (H.R. 3713): A Summary (R44492)
May 16, 2016
TANF Emergency Contingency Fund (R41078)
October 6, 2010
What, If Anything, Has Judge Garland Said about the Second Amendment and Guns
|If you have any questions about these changes, please contact email@example.com.
Where in the World Is Hein? We will be attending the following meetings in October, and November.
- Mid-America Association of Law Libraries (MAALL) - Oklahoma City, OK
- October 13-15 (Steve Roses attending)
- Ohio Regional Association of Law Libraries (ORALL) - Dayton, OH
- October 19-21 (Steve Roses attending)
- Frankfurt Book Fair - Frankfurt, Germany
- October 19-23 (Shannon Hein attending)
- ALLUNY - Auburn, NY
- November 4-6 (Steve Roses attending)
Stop by and say hi!
JUST TWEET IT
Follow @HeinOnline on Twitter to keep updated on the latest HeinOnline enhancements, news, and happenings! Here are some of September's Top Tweets:
HeinOnline @HeinOnline Sep 1
#TBT: In 2000, HeinOnline had fewer than 100 law journals. Now, the database contains more than 120,000 titles, and it's still growing!
HeinOnline @HeinOnline Sep 9
#QuickTip: Use the more information link next to any HeinOnline collection to get its description & title lists.
HeinOnline @HeinOnline Sep 13
A new post from Trends Interactive, by @Cornell Legal Research Clinic's Amy Emerson, is available on the #Hein blog: http://ow.ly/8G9h304acdP
HeinOnline @HeinOnline Sep 14
We want your feedback! Users' suggestions and ideas make us better. Read about two new features you helped create: http://ow.ly/woo2304bdm7
HeinOnline @HeinOnline Sep 26
This is a pretty amazing timeline of banned books through recent history: http://ow.ly/JjJ2304sBkm #BannedBooksWeek #freedomtoread
Elise M. Lilly
Associate Director & Mgr. Branch Library Services
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
Q: We recently released Cataloging Legal Literature, Fourth Edition in print and online. Can you name one of the authors of this title?
A: Melody Lembke and Melissa Beck
Contact Us: 800-828-7571
Wm. Shannon Hein - Vice President, Sales
Steve Roses - Director, Sales
Roxanne Marmion - Sales Representative