Dear Valued Customer,
Summer is fast approaching and we are getting excited about warmer days, sunshine, and beginning preparations for AALL's annual meeting this year in Chicago!
This month we added more than 1,000,000 pages of content, including two new journals that are indexed in Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (IFLP), several new legal dictionaries that were added to Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf, a new edition of Subject Compilations of State Laws, and much more!
Be sure to check out how we celebrated National Library Week; a review of National Survey of State Laws in the AALL Spectrum; the Top Five Ways to Get in Touch with us; and May's Trivia!
Please take a moment to read the May Newsletter.
HeinOnline Marketing Department
MAY CONTENT RELEASE
Below is a summary of some of the notable titles included in this month's release.
- Law Journal Library
- Acta Juridica Hungarica - Indexed in IFLP
- Banka ve Ticaret Hukuku Dergisi - Indexed in IFLP
- Curierul Fiscal
- Cybaris: An Intellectual Property Law Review
- Indian Journal of International Economic Law
- Yale Law Journal Forum
- Legal Classics: 74 new titles added, including:
- Apology for the True Christian Divinity, Being an Explanation and Vindication of the Principles and Doctrines of the People Called Quakers (1765) - Robert Barclay
- Harleian Miscellany; Or, a Collection of Scarce, Curious, and Entertaining Pamphlets and Tracts, as Well in Manuscript as in Print, Found in the Late Earl of Oxford's Library (1808-1811)
- Officium Vicecomitum: The Office and Authoritie of Sherifs, Written for the Better Incouragement of the Gentrie (upon Whom the Burthen of This Office Lyeth) (1623) - Michael Dalton
- Rights, Remedies, and Practice, at Law, in Equity, and under the Codes: A Treatise on American Law in Civil Causes; with a Digest of Illustrative Cases (1890) - John D. Lawson
- New York Legal Research Library: 4 new titles added, including:
- Public Papers of Governor Mario M. Cuomo
- Public Papers of Nelson A. Rockefeller
- Public Papers of Thomas E. Dewey: Fifty-First Governor of the State of New York, 1943 [1-954]
- Religion and the Law: 17 new titles added, including:
- Islamic Law in the Modern World
- Privilegiorum in Persona Sancti Petri: Romano Pontifici a Christo Domino Collatorum Vindiciae
- Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf: 28 new titles added, including:
- Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States of America, and of the Several States of the American Union
- American Legal Literature: A Guide to Selected Legal Resources
- Pocket Law Lexicon, Explaining Technical Words, Phrases, and Maxims of the English, Scotch, and Roman Law: To Which Is Added a Complete List of Law Reports, with Their Abbreviations
- One Man's Books: The Library of Roscoe Pound: An Exhibition at the Harvard Law School Library, March 1993
- Sherlock Holmes & the Law: An Exhibition, the Harvard Law School Library, 21 April-30 June 1988
- State Reports: A Historical Archive: 3 new titles added:
- Dauphin County Reports
- Ohio Nisi Prius Reports
- Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of Louisiana and in the Superior Court of the Territory of Louisiana
- U.S. Congressional Documents: 636 new titles added, including:
- U.S. Federal Agency Documents, Decisions, and Appeals: 26 new titles added, including:
- Annual Report. Federal Election Commission
- FEC Record (1977-2015)
- War Labor Reports: Reports of Decisions of the National War Labor Board, with Headnotes and Index-Digest
- U.S. Federal Legislative History Library: 1 new title added:
- USA PATRIOT Act: A Legislative History of the Uniting and Strengthening of America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act, Public Law No. 107-56 (2001) Series III, vols. 17-21 (Covering Nov. 2005 to Dec. 2006)
- World Constitutions Illustrated: Contemporary & Historical Documents: 15 new titles added, including:
- Verfassung and Demokratie der Vereingten Staaten von Amerika
State Reports: A Historical Archive Update
This month we added more than 77,000 pages to State Reports, which has grown to include more than 10 million pages since its initial release. Notable additions to these collections include:
- Dauphin Country Reports - 81v. Harrisburg: W.O. Foster, 1898-1963
- Ohio Nisi Prius Reports - 32v. Cincinnati: Ohio Law Reporter Co., 1904-1934
- Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of Louisiana and in the Superior Court of the Territory of Louisiana - 45v. St. Paul: West Pub. Co., 1907
Stay in the loop by checking future monthly updates for new content.
Notable Titles Added to the Law Journal Library
Acta Juridica Hungarica: Vols. 1-54 (1959-2013), Indexed v. 1-56 (1959-2015) Title Varies: Vols. 1-32 (1959-1990) as Acta Juridica. Acta Juridica presents the achievements of the legal sciences and legal scholars in Hungary and details of the Hungarian legislation and legal literature. The journal accepts articles from every field of the legal sciences. Recently, the editors have encouraged contributions from outside Hungary, with the aim of covering the legal sciences in the whole of Central and Eastern Europe. Publishes book reviews and advertisements.
Cybaris: An Intellectual Property Law Review: Vols. 1-7#1 (2010-2015). Cybaris, an Intellectual Property Law Review, publishes non-student articles and student comments on all areas of intellectual property law, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, licensing, and related transactional matters.
Indian Journal of International Economic Law: Vols. 1-7 (2008-2015). The Indian Journal of International Economic Law (IJIEL) is an endeavour by the Student Bar Association (SBA), NLSIU to encourage scholarship in the fields of international trade law and international economic law, in recognition of the staggering impact of World Trade Organization (WTO) and cross-border trade and commerce in the world today. The burgeoning presence of the developing world in the international arena coupled with a need for harmonization of the North-South divide and the conspicuous absence of any scholarly journal from a developing world perspective on the same was the seed for this initiative by the SBA, NLSIU.
New Titles Added to Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf
This month we added 6 new legal dictionaries to Spinelli's, bringing the total to 191 legal dictionaries, all fully-searchable, in this special collection.
Legal dictionaries added this month:
Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States of America, and of the Several States of the American Union
2v. Philadelphia: Childs & Peterson, 1856
New Law Dictionary, Containing Explanations of Such Technical Terms and Phrases as Occur in the works of the Various Law-Writers of Great Britain; To Which Is Added an Outline of an Action at Law, and of a Suit in Equity
1v. London: William Crofts, 1839
Henry James Holthouse
Law Dictionary, Defining and Interpreting the Terms or Words of Art and Explaining the Rise, Progress, and Present State of the English Law - 2v. London: Printed by C. and R. Baldwin for R. Baldwin, R. Faulder, 1810 - T.E. Tomlins
New Law-Dictionary: Containing, the Interpretation and Definition of Words and Terms Used in the Law; and Also the Whole Law, and Practice Thereof, under All the Heads and Titles of the Same
1v. In the Savoy: Printed by E. and R. Nutt, and R. Gosling, for D. Midwinter, etc. 1739
Pocket Law Lexicon, Explaining Technical Words, Phrases, and Maxims of the English, Scotch, and Roman Law, to Which Is Added a Complete List of Law Reports, with Their Abbreviations
1v. London: Stevens, 1905
Joseph E. Morris
Pocket Law-Lexicon, Explaining Technical Words, Phrases, and Maxims of the English, Scotch, and Roman Law: To Which Is Added a Complete List of Law Reports, with Their Abbreviations
1v. London: Stevens and Sons, 1893
Henry G. Rawson
New Titles Added to Legal Classics
This month we have added a number of early English law books from the 1600 and 1700s. Some of the titles added this month include:
Book of Entries: Containing Perfect and Approved Presidents of Counts, Declarations, Informations, Pleints, Indictments, Barres, Replications, Rejoynders, Pleadings
1v. London: Printed by John Streater, James Flesher, and Henry Twyford, 1671
Brownlow Latine Redivivus: A Book of Entries, of Such Declarations, Informations, Pleas in Barr and Abatement, Replications, Rejoynders, Issues, Verdicts, Bills of Exception to Verdicts, Judgments, Demurrers, and Other Parts of Pleadings
1v. London: Printed by the assigns of Richard and Edward Atkins, 1693
Nature and Practice of Real Actions in Their Writs and Process, Both Original and Judicial
1v. London: Printed by the assigns of Richard and Edward Atkins, 1701
Treatise of Equity
1v. In the Savoy: Printed by E. and R. Nutt, and R. Gosling for D. Browne, 1737
Works of That Learned and Judicious Divine, Mr. Richard Hooker, in Eight Books of the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity, Compleated out of His Own Manuscripts
1v. Printed for John Walthoe, George Conyers, James Knapton, etc., 1723
Six Month Embargo Removed from Virginia Journal of Criminal Law
We recently removed the six month embargo on the Virginia Journal of Criminal Law. Vols. 1-3#2 (2012-2015) are now available with no delay. The Virginia Journal of Criminal Law, created in 2010, publishes scholarly articles on criminal law and procedure twice yearly. The journal also sponsors legal symposia and conferences.
NEW HEINONLINE FEATURES
Now Published in Print and Online by Hein
We are pleased to announce that in addition to the online database, the Hein Company is now publishing Subject Compilations of State Laws in print. In addition to publishing the volume, we will be shipping and billing too.
Enhancements to Session Laws Library
Our monthly update of Session Laws continues as we index to the chapter level or act level in 10-year increments, in reverse chronological order, starting with the states that are ranked highest by access for HeinOnline users.
The following have been further indexed this month back to 2005:
- Puerto Rico
- New Mexico
This brings the total to 37 states that are now indexed to the chapter or act level for the recent increments.
Learn more here.
If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback on HeinOnline's Enhanced Interface, or any feature, we would love to hear from you. Contact us at email@example.com
APRIL FEATURED LIBRARY: TAXATION & ECONOMIC REFORM IN AMERICA PART I & II
April means springtime for many areas of the United States, the start of the regular baseball season, and the tax filing deadline for millions of Americans. The history of taxation in America began before the American Revolution, when colonists protested British taxation policies in the 1760s, and it continues to be a frequently discussed and controversial topic today.
HeinOnline's Taxation & Economic Reform in America Parts I & II (TERA) collection contains millions of pages and thousands of volumes of legislative history and other documents pertaining to taxation and the economy in the United States. The collection also contains extensive content pertaining to securities, banking, finance, and investment.
BONUS FEATURED LIBRARY: HISTORY OF BANKRUPTCY (TAXATION & ECONOMIC REFORM IN AMERICA PART III)
In addition to featuring Taxation & Economic Reform in America Parts I & II this month, we thought we would celebrate a much-anticipated spring by adding History of Bankruptcy (TERA Part III) as a second featured collection for April.
This collection focuses on bankruptcy in the United States, and contains an extensive collection of compiled legislative histories and books pertaining to this pervasive problem which affects millions of Americans each year. According to investopedia.com, these are the top 5 reasons people in America go bankrupt.
CELEBRATING NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK
"Without libraries, what have we? We have no past and no future." -Ray Bradbury
As a corporate blogger, I have learned to be politically neutral, succinctly informative, and unfailingly professional. If I have feelings on a particular blog topic, it is my duty to ensure that my emotions are not reflected in the words I write for for our readership and on behalf of the company I represent. Today, I am gleefully hurling this philosophy of dispassion out a 10-story window, because I absolutely cannot hold back my enthusiasm about the subject of today's blog: LIBRARIES.
WHAT ARE SUPER PACS?
For those following this year's election, the phrase "super PAC" is probably familiar, but even if you're trying to tune out the 2016 presidential race entirely, you might be interested to learn how super PACs can affect an election.
PAC stands for political action committee, and super PACs are allowed to raise unlimited sums of money from corporations, unions, and individuals and then spend that money to openly advocate for or against a political candidate. Unlike traditional PACs, however, super PACs are prohibited from donating money directly to political candidates, and their spending must not be coordinated with that of the candidates they benefit, according toopensecrets.org. Both traditional and super PACs advocate for or against a candidate by purchasing television, radio, and print advertisements.
LEGISLATIVE HISTORY OF THE USA PATRIOT ACT IN HEINONLINE
In response to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Congress rushed to pass legislation to alleviate the fears and concerns felt by Americans, and to strengthen national security. The result was the USA Patriot Act, or the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001, signed by President George W. Bush on October 26, 2001. The Patriot Act impacted several existing acts available in HeinOnline's U.S. Statutes at Large library, including:
TOP FIVE WAYS TO GET IN TOUCH
It's 10 a.m. on the Monday your legal brief is due. You've been up since yesterday, and coffee is the only thing keeping your eyes open. You need to check all of your citations to make sure they're correct, and just realized you need to retrieve several Federal Register documents that you thought you printed in the library, but they've gone missing.
It's 4 p.m. on Friday, and you're looking forward to an evening with your long-lost friends, when your boss calls. She needs you to find the official version of several Supreme Court cases, and she needs them NOW.
NEW ORAL HISTORY VIDEOS
New video interviews now available!
New video interviews are now available in An Oral History of Law Librarianship in Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf which now includes more than 200 videos!
The video interviews this month feature:
Not subscribed to Spinelli's Law Library Reference Shelf?
- Gail Murphy Daly - Retired Director of the Underwood aw Library - Southern Methodist University's Dedman School of Law - Dallas, TX
- Spencer L. Simons - Director of the O'Quinn Law Library and Associate Professor of Law - University of Houston - Houston, TX
Click here to view a complete brochure>>
Remember to check out our newly available Oral Histories on HeinOnline's Youtube Channel as well as on the Hein Blog every Friday!
NOTIFICATION OF TITLE CHANGES
Health care reform : hearings before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means, House of Representatives, One Hundred Third Congress, first session. Volume 7
National Health Insurance: Public Hearings before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means, House of Representatives, Ninety-Fourth Congress, First Session....Part 2 of 3 (November 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, and 19, 1975) 2
National Health Insurance: Public Hearings before the Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Ways and Means, House of Representatives, Ninety-Fourth Congress, First Session...Part 3 of 3 (November 20; December 2, 3, 4, and 5, 1975) 3
|If you have any questions about these changes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where in the World Is Hein? We will be attending the following meetings in May and June.
- AMICAL Consortium 2016 - Rome, Italy
- Canadian Association of Law Libraries (CALL) - Vancouver, BC
- British and Irish Association of Law Librarians (BIALL) - Dublin, Ireland
- Special Libraries Association (SLA) - Philadelphia, PA
- CALI Conference for Law School Computing - Atlanta, GA
Stop by and say hi!
AALL 2016 is upon us and we are beginning preparations for the meeting! We look forward to seeing you this year in Chicago. Keep an eye out for more AALL updates from Hein in our upcoming newsletters and on our blog. We can't wait to see you!
JUST TWEET IT
Follow @HeinOnline on Twitter to keep updated on the latest HeinOnline enhancements, news, and happenings! Here are some of February's Top Tweets:
HeinOnlineâ€ @HeinOnline Apr 8
A little April snow in
#Buffalo can't stop our #awesome support team. We're here, and ready to help! http://ow.ly/10rqSe
HeinOnlineâ€ @HeinOnline Apr 11
It's #NationalLibraryWeek! Celebrate your favorite library by visiting often. Be sure to thank #librarians and staff for their dedication!
HeinOnlineâ€ @HeinOnline Apr 15
#RoadRage-related violence has made headlines recently, but it's been a problem for decades. Learn more: http://ow.ly/10DhF5
HeinOnlineâ€ @HeinOnline Apr 15
#NationalSurveyofStateLaws continues to impress! Check out the latest review from @aallnet's Spectrum Blog: http://ow.ly/10FJBb @rleiter
HeinOnlineâ€ @HeinOnline Apr 19
If you are researching the USA #PatriotAct, look no further. We've done most of your #legalresearch for you: http://ow.ly/4mQYyd
Stephanie A. Ziegler
Reference Librarian & Adjunct Professor
Michael E. Moritz College of Law
Q: Steve Roses recently visited this college's school of law while he was in Northern California for NOCALL 2016.
What University's Law School is pictured below?
A: Santa Clara University
Contact Us: 800-828-7571
Wm. Shannon Hein - Vice President, Sales
Steve Roses - Director, Sales
Roxanne Marmion - Sales Representative