Today Balkan Sunflowers turned 16 years old. On July 15, 1999 the first group of BSF volunteers arrived to start working in Kosovo. Since that time there have been numerous projects reaching thousands of individuals in Kosovo and the region. We celebrated many of these projects during last year's 15th anniversary so now we'd like to highlight some of the achievements of the past year:
- The Learning Centers Network (LCN) has gone through a transformation which culminated in the development of Planned Activities for Cohesive Education or PACE Program. This will give our tutors and staff additional tools to work with all children who face challenges in school.
- Our School Mediators continue to return children to classrooms around Kosovo and their work was highlighted earlier this year in a report published by the Council of Europe and Kosovo Pedagogical Institute.
- PRECEDE Network is preparing the next stage of its project building on a 2014 pilot of a peace building toolkit in 10 preschools and recently organized the first of several online courses introducing Kosovo psychologists to the ICDL DIRFloortime approach to emotional development.
- KoSana Health Insurance for All has just begun its next phase during which we will screen the Balkan Sunflowers documentary LIVES and advocate for improved health care of Roma, Ashkali and Egyptians throughout Kosovo.
- The EDI Project continues to work with our colleagues at The Ideas Partnership and Play International to promote inclusion of all Kosovo communities through education and sport.
As always we thank our incredible team of staff and volunteers who work tirelessly to inspire and engage in community action for human rights and dignity. We also thank all the individuals and donors who continue to support our work in Kosovo.
- We'll soon be releasing a new website which will be the place to find all the latest information about Balkan Sunflowers. We will have up-to-date news and also easy-to-locate archival information about the many BSF projects over the years.
Greetings from Kosovo,
Your friends at Balkan Sunflowers