|Celine Dion encourages caregivers
Canadian singer Celine Dion encourages caregivers to reach within themselves and discover their inner strength. The Grammy Award winner was caring for her husband, Rene Angelil, who is battling cancer. She recently returned to her Las Vegas concert performances after being encouraged to do by her family. (back to Table of Contents)
The Caregiver Information Sessions feature a variety of relevant topics of interest for caregivers. There is no charge, but please register at least one day prior to the session. All presentations are held at the ACGA Office at Fulton Place School (10310 - 56 St).
- Mobilizing your support network - Wed. Sept 23: Consider methods to implement in order to share the care workload. Afternoon 1:30 pm. Evening 6:00 pm
- Stress management - Wed. Oct 7: Find where your stress is coming from and learn how to change your response. Afternoon 1:30 pm. Evening 6:00 pm
- Mediation and Restoration- Wed. Oct 21: Join a guest speaker from the Meditation and Restorative Justice Centre and learn conflict strategies, as well as services and supports that can help families (i.e. sharing circles, conflict hotline, facilitative dialogue). Afternoon 1:30 pm. No evening session.
- The Paper Dragon - Wed. Nov 4: Learn more about what documentation caregivers should consider for future, emergencies, and caregiver protection. Afternoon 1:30 pm. Evening 6:00 pm
- Guilt, Shame and Regret - Wed. Nov 17: Learn more about how to understand and manage some of the negative thoughts that may come with caregiving. Afternoon 1:30 pm. Evening 6:00 pm
- How Pets Support Wellness - Wed. Dec. 2: Join professional counsellor Ana Meger to learn more about how pets can support caregiver wellness. Afternoon 1:30 pm. No evening session.
Please register at least one day prior to the Information Session. Refreshments are provided. Contact Cassy at 780-453-5088; email@example.com
. If you are interested in another topic, let us know.
To find out more, read it here
. (back to Table of Contents)
|COMPASS for the Caregiver
COMPASS is a 9-module weekly facilitated program which encourages caregivers to learn to balance their own well-being with the challenges of caregiving. Details for the upcoming sessions and locations will be announced in the near future. Confirmed programs include:
- Northwest Edmonton Seniors (formerly Calder Seniors Support) starting Sept 8
- Ft. Saskatchewan FCSS starting Sept 16
- Coaldale: Barons/Warner/Eureka FCSS - Coaldale starting Sept 21
- Parkinson Alberta Society Edmonton - starting Oct 5
- Military Family Resource Centre - Edmonton Garrison - starting Oct 19
- Oyen FCSS - Starting Oct 21
For more information, including a video about COMPASS click here. (back to Table of Contents)
For those in the Health, Community, and Social service fields
If you encounter caregivers in your line of work - this workshop is for you!
Navigator is a one-day workshop focused on increasing your understanding of the caregiver experience/issues and providing information about resources to help support caregivers.
The next workshop is Wednesday September 30th
One-day workshops are offered twice a month September through December.
- 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- $90 includes manual & lunch. Subsidized by Age Friendly Edmonton.
- ACGA Office; Fulton Place School; 10310 - 56 Street; Edmonton
- Contact Debra Paches at 780-453-5088; firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, click here. (back to Table of Contents)
|Mark your calendars: Upcoming events
- The ACGA's popular "Spoons Tournament" is coming back by popular demand. Mark Oct 24 on the calendar. This easy, exciting and fun card game brings laughter to the table among caregivers and their guests. Watch for details in the near future.
- The Annual Holiday Open House is scheduled for Wednesday, Dec 9th. There will be refreshments, a holiday tree, and the cheerful company of caregivers, staff and volunteers. Watch for details in the near future.
(back to Table of Contents)
Nominate a caregiver for $10,000 Prize
Canada Cares is a campaign to recognize caregivers across the country and people are being asked to send in their nominees. Until Sept. 18, nominations of family/friends caregivers are being accepted to win one of ten prizes ... including a grand prize of $10,000. Winners will be flown to Ottawa to accept their prizes. For more information, click here. (back to Table of Contents)
|ACGA Staffing News
We congratulate Office Manager Nancy McGonigal and her husband Gordon on the announcement of their new baby boy, Rory, born August 27.
We also welcome back long-time staffer Bonnie Hoffmann, who is filling in for Nancy during the maternity leave.
We're also pleased to introduce our newest employee, Nikki Leendertse, as the Communications & Events Assistant.
(back to Table of Contents)
One Last Thought ...
Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the Fall:
F. Scott Fitzgerald, author. (back to Table of Contents)