Dear Friend of the South Street Initiative:
I announce, with great pleasure and optimism, that the Board of Directors of the South Street East River Community Development Corporation (SSER-CDC) held their first board meeting on January 21, 2016.
The following Interim Officers were elected until April 21, 2016 when the board convenes again to elect permanent officers:
- Aixa Torres, President â€“ Alfred E. Smith Residents Association
- Victor J. Papa, Treasurer â€“ President, Two Bridges Neighborhood Council
- Joanne Gorman Coyle, Secretary â€“ Friends of South Street Seaport
We are proud to have elected Interim Officers that are long-time residents and advocates for quality-of-life improvements and economic development opportunities as they relate to the Lower Manhattan East River Waterfront.
The other members of the SSER-CDC's initial Board of Directors also provide valuable guidance and vision at this current stage. They are listed below:
- Simeon Bankoff, Historic Districts Council
- Anthony Borelli, Edison Properties LLC
- Tanya Castro, Lands End II
- Nicole Clare, Two Bridgeset Associates, LLP
- Mark Handelman, Hamilton-Madison House
- Paul Kefer, Southbridge Towers, Inc.
- Tara Kelly, Municipal Arts Society
- Roland Lewis, Waterfront Alliance
- Nancy Ortiz, Bernard A. Vladeck Houses
The CDC is now at a crucial stage in its development as it seeks to carry out its stated mission. In the next few months it will discuss resiliency planning issues and opportunities, a Pier 35 Festival in 2017, and other measures to make itself effective in assuring a vibrant East River waterfront corridor.
The many committed stakeholders from the Lower East Side and Lower Manhattan communities can take credit for creating the CDC. The South Street Stakeholders Initiative, an important forum to channel and weigh issues that the CDC will consider, will continue to meet. Stay tuned for meeting invitations and updates in the coming weeks.
If you have any questions regarding updates from the SSER-CDC or would like to get involved in these critical stages, please reply directly to this newsletter.