Spring is here! And for those of us unfortunate enough to live in the most northerly climes it marks the unofficial beginning of orienteering season. And the schedule is packed! Be sure to visit www.orienteeringusa.org
and click on “Come Try Orienteering” to find a club and event nearest you.
Important Club Information - Insurance Change
Club Presidents and Event Directors please note. In order to be compliant with our insurance coverage, all orienteers who compete in national and local meets and are not a member of OUSA
must sign a modified waiver stating they are a member of the federation for that event. The waiver can be found at: http://orienteeringusa.org/sites/default/files/files/documents/online-waiver_0.pdf
Another version of this waiver language is given at the bottom of this newsletter. If you have questions, and for precise language, please contact Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior World Orienteering Championship Team Announced
The JWOC Selections Committee is thrilled to announce the team that will be representing Orienteering USA at the 2013 Junior World Championships this June and July in the Czech Republic.
The women are: Meg Parson (NEOC), Isabel Bryant (CSU, NEOC), Anne Wilkinson (COC), Barbara Ziolkoski (GAOC), Anna Breton (HVO), Danielle Spencer (COC). Women named as alternates include: Elina Breton (HVO), Olivia Golden (NTOA), Katrina Weinmann (COC) and Jennifer Perry (COC).
The men are: Carl Underwood (NEOC), Will Hubsch (LAOC), Nate Ohrwaschel (DVOA), Zac Barker (DVOA), Matt Stout (GAOC), and Ethan Childs (GMOC). Men named as alternates are: Connor Frost (GAOC), Jacob (Jake) Grant (USMAOC), William (Duncan) Miller (USMAOC) and Austin Fowler (GAOC).
Led by head coach Erin Schirm the team will train for twelve days in Europe before competing in the championships.
For a full release and athlete biographies, visit www.orienteeringusa.org
The Junior Team is fundraising in many ways. They will be raising money at A-meets, including West Point, but they are also raising money by using Indiegogo. You can go the orienteering site and see if there is anything that you would like to “buy” and therefore contribute to the Junior Team. The link is: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?utf8=%E2%9C%93&filter_title=orienteering&search_submit=Search
April is Team USA Month
Our national team program requests that clubs consider donating a portion of their April meet proceeds to Team USA. The teams thank you.
Call for National Championship Entries
If your club is interested in hosting one of our national championship events, please submit your paperwork to the Sanctioning Committee as quickly as possible. The board of directors could vote on it as soon as the May 10th
board meeting. Open events are:
Interested in Becoming an OUSA Board Member?
2013: Relay National Championships, Night O National Championships
2014 – 2016: Individual and Classic National Championships
2016: North American Orienteering Championships
This July, up to 4 seats will be available on the OUSA board of directors and we are always looking for qualified individuals to serve on the board. Meetings are held 4 times a year and always in conjunction with an A-meet. If you would like more information, contact OUSA Secretary Donna Fluegel at email@example.com
Mark Your Calendars for BAOC's Orienteering Summerfest and Orienteering USA's Annual General Meeting
The Bay Area Orienteering Club has announced they will host the 2013 Western States Orienteering Championships as part of their Sierra Summerfest. The event will be from July 26-28 near beautiful Lake Tahoe. Watch www.baoc.org
Orienteering USA’s Annual General Meeting will occur during this event.
Get Social with Orienteering USA's Facebook Page
OUSA’s Facebook page is going strong and we are getting ready to pass 500 members. If you are on Facebook, please “Like” us. We thank you for your support.
2013 Orienteering USA National Event Calendar
April 26-28: 34th West Point Orienteering A-meet (USMAOC – West Point, NY)
May 10-12: OUSA U.S. Individual Championships (Sprint, Middle, Long) and OUSA U.S. Trail O Championships, Team USA Trials (EMPO – Lake George, NY)
May 10: OUSA Board of Directors Meeting (Lake George, NY)
July 25-29: Sierra Summerfest (BAOC – Truckee, CA)
July 27: OUSA Annual General Meeting (Truckee, CA)
October 19-20: OUSA Classic Champs & Boulder Dash (UNO – Allenstown, NH)
November 9-10: O in the Oaks (BAOC – Hollister, CA)
November 16-17: French Creek Fall O Festival (DVOA – Douglassville, PA)
December 6-8: Sprint the Golden Gate (Get Lost!! – San Francisco, CA)
For a full 2013 calendar visit www.orienteeringusa.org
and click on “Find a National Event.”
We’ll see you in the woods.
Peter Goodwin – President
Glen Schorr – Executive Director
Discover Orienteering. Discover OUSA's Facebook Page.
Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement
1. In consideration of being permitted to participate in any way in the Orienteering USA member club events, I and/or my minor child, our personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin:
2. Acknowledge, agree, and represent that I and/or my minor child understand the nature of orienteering activities and that I and/or my minor child are qualified, in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in such activity. I further agree that if at any time I believe conditions to be unsafe, I and/or my minor child will immediately discontinue further participation in the activity.
3. Fully understand that (a) orienteering activities involve risks and dangers of serious injury or in extreme cases, death. (risks) (b) these risks and dangers may be caused by me and/or my child's own actions, or inaction, or the actions or inaction of others participating in the activity, the condition in which the activity takes place, or the negligence of the “releasees” named below; (c) there may be other risks either not known to me or not readily foreseeable, and I fully accept all such risks and responsibility for losses, costs and damages, I and/or my minor child incur as a result of my participation in the Activity.
4. Hereby accept and assume all such risks, and assume all responsibility for the losses, costs and/or damages following such injury, or death, even if caused in whole or in part, by the negligence of the “releases” named below.
5. Hereby release, discharge and covenant not to sue the member club, their respective administrators, directors, agents, officers, officials, volunteers, and employees, other participants, any sponsors, advertisers, Orienteering USA, host third party operators and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises on which the Activity takes place, (each considered one of the "releasees" herein) from all liability, claims, demands, losses or damages on my account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the “releases” or otherwise, including negligent rescue operations, and I further agree that if, despite this release and waiver of liability, assumption of risk and indemnity agreement I and/or my minor child, or anyone on my and/or my minor child's behalf, makes a claim against any of the releasees I will indemnify, save and hold harmless each of the releases from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage, or cost which may incur as the result of such claim.
6. I have read this agreement, fully understand its terms, understand that I have given up substantial rights by signing it, and have signed it freely without the inducement or assurance of any nature and intend it to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law and agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect.
7. The undersigned, if not already a member of Orienteering USA, is granted a one-time guest membership to Orienteering USA for the dates stated below. Please note that this membership does not entitle you to the entire list of benefits of an annual member.
Event Site: ________________________
___________________________ ___________________________ __________
Signature of Participant Print Name Date
____________________________ ___________________________ ___________
Signature of Parent/Legal Guardian Print Name of Minor Child Date
(If Participant is under age 18)
Telephone_________________________ Car License Plate__________________State _____
(where we can contact you today if needed) (of the car you arrived in today)