In this Issue:
Welcome New Members
 
The Forum welcomes the following institutional members committed to Standards of Good Practice:

Howard University

Valparaiso University

Worcester State University

For more information on joining the Forum, visit: http://www.forumea.org/
memberservices.cfm



Dates and Deadlines

Friday, May 24
Forum Council nominations are due
 
Saturday, June 1
Session Proposal Deadline for Standards of Good Practice Institute: Curriculum, Teaching and Education Abroad
 
Deadline for submitting courses to the Curriculum Cooperative to be considered for the Forum’s Award for Excellence in Curriculum Design
 
Tuesday, June 4
Free webinar for members: Understanding the Standards of Good Practice – Standard 9: Ethics and Integrity
 
Monday, June 10
Regular registration deadline for Standards of Good Practice Institute: Beyond the Basics of Health, Safety, Security and Risk Management
 
Thursday, June 20
Standards of Good Practice Institute in Santa Barbara, CA: Beyond the Basics of Health, Safety, Security and Risk Management


Click here for more Forum events.


First-Ever Special Collection of Education Abroad Historical Materials Created

The Forum on Education Abroad, in partnership with Dickinson College, the American Institute For Foreign Study (AIFS), and the AIFS Foundation announce the creation of the AIFS/AIFS Foundation Education Abroad Special Collection within the Archives and Special Collections Department of Dickinson College. The special collection is the first-ever repository of materials that contribute to an understanding of the history and development of the field of education abroad in U.S. higher education.
 
“The Forum and Dickinson College continue through our strategic partnership to serve the education abroad field in critically important ways,” said Brian Whalen, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Forum. “On behalf of the Forum, I thank AIFS and the AIFS Foundation for their generous support of what will be an essential resource for researchers and others interested in learning about the history and development of education abroad.” 
 
The purpose of the special collection is to collect, preserve and make available for research primary and secondary materials relating to the history and development of U.S. education abroad, from its beginnings until and including the 1990s. According to Whalen, the collection will be utilized by graduate and doctoral-level students and scholars of international education. The special collection is expected to include:
  • materials relating to the development of education abroad as a professional field within U.S. higher education;
  • materials relating  to specific education abroad programs of historical importance, such as those established early in the history of the field, or the first programs established in a particular geographic location or programs related to a particular academic discipline or topic;
  • correspondence, photographs, meeting agendas or minutes, or other material that provide meaningful and significant information about any aspect of the history and development of U.S. education abroad.
“The creation of this Special Collection is a direct result of a wonderful suggestion by one of our colleagues, Mickey Slind, who together with other colleagues have a wealth of historical materials that they are eager to donate,” said Whalen.
 
To read the press release and more details about the Special Collection, please visit: www.forumea.org/SpecialCollection.cfm




Summary of Annual Conference Evaluations

As previously reported, the Forum’s Ninth Annual Conference in Chicago last month hosted 1,400 attendees from around the world, more than 500 of whom were attending a Forum conference for the first time. U.S. colleagues comprised 88% of the total conference attendance while the other 12% was comprised of colleagues from 30 different countries, including Mexico, Canada, Australia, and countries in South and Central America, Europe, Asia and Africa. 73% of attendees represented colleges and universities and the remaining 27% represented affiliate members and program provider organizations. The Forum was especially pleased to welcome its Forum members, which accounted for over 3/4 of the total attendance.

Of the 1,400 Annual Conference attendees, 514 completed evaluations and they expressed strong satisfaction with the conference:


According to Forum President and CEO Brian Whalen, “The Forum staff and Conference Committee for the 2014 Annual Conference will look carefully at the evaluations and use them to plan next year’s conference in San Diego.” He added, “Based on the feedback we are already planning to expand the hours of the Exhibit Hall and will announce details soon.”




Standards Institute Lunch Plenary, Featuring Dr. Tom Balistrieri

Update your knowledge of health, safety, security and risk management issues and best practices in the field and attend the Forum’s Standards of Good Practice Institute, "Beyond the Basics of Health, Safety, Security and Risk Management" on June 20 at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Entertain new ideas in how risk management can be achieved by thinking about our students differently. A description of Tom Balistrieri’s plenary address, “Repairing the Rainbow: Teaching the Ceremony of Life,” is now available on the website. Tom uses teachings from indigenous cultures to inform his practice. He will share the Australian Aboriginal Rainbow Story having to do with the ceremony of life and describe the story’s relevance to our work with students.
 
Click here to register!




Call for Proposals: Standards Institute on “Curriculum, Teaching and Education Abroad”

Session proposals must be submitted by June 1 for the Forum’s first Standards of Good Practice Institute on “Curriculum, Teaching and Education Abroad.” The Institute will be held at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, on November 19, 2013.
 
This Standards Institute is dedicated to identifying and understanding an array of approaches to curriculum design and teaching in education abroad, and assisting participants to understand how to develop and improve their own education abroad curricula and enhance disciplinary and interdisciplinary teaching. Plenary and concurrent sessions will bring together professionals in instructional design, education abroad faculty and administrators and highlight innovative ways in which Standard 3: Academic Framework may be applied to achieve excellence in curriculum design and teaching.
 
For more information about the Institute, and to submit a proposal, click here.




Award for Excellence in Education Abroad Curriculum Design: Deadline June 1

Submit information about your education abroad courses to the Curriculum Cooperative by June 1 in order to be considered for the Forum’s first annual Award for Excellence in Education Abroad Curriculum Design. The award(s) will be granted on November 19, 2013 at the Standards Institute on Curriculum, Teaching, and Education Abroad. Visit the Curriculum Cooperative to view the current submissions and share information about your own courses.




Deadline for Forum Council Nominations is May 24

The deadline for submitting Forum Council nominations is Friday, May 24. Five positions on the Council are open this year, and the Forum welcomes nominations from colleagues who can dedicate their time and provide their expertise to Forum projects. If you are interested in serving on the Council or wish to nominate a colleague, please submit the following information to info@forumea.org:
  • a description of the candidate’s qualifications and their interest, referencing specific ways in which they would contribute to the Forum’s goals and projects;
  • a curriculum vitae;
  • full contact information.
A position description for Forum Council members is available here.




Free Member Webinar on the Standards of Good Practice: Standard 9

The ninth and final webinar in the “Understanding the Standards of Good Practice” series has been scheduled for Tuesday, June 4 at 12 p.m. (EDT). Open to Forum members only, this webinar will cover the content of Standard 9: Ethics and Integrity, and will be facilitated by Rob Hallworth, Director of Study Abroad at The George Washington University.

To register, email: webinars@forumea.org





*Photo credit: This issue's photo comes to us from College Year in Athens.
Copyright © 2013 The Forum on Education Abroad, All rights reserved.