back to top
ACT ATOD Qualification Strategy (QS) Review and Consultation
About the QS
The QS aims to ensure the development and maintenance of a competent and professional ATOD workforce in the ACT. Since its inception in 2006, the proportion of the ACT ATOD workforce attaining the minimum qualification has increased significantly (approximately 43% in 2009 to 75.4% in 2014)
Under the ACT ATOD QS it is necessary for all relevant staff of ATOD services operated by ACT Health or ATOD organisations funded by ACT Health, to either possess the minimum qualification or have an agreed plan and timeline with their agency to meet the minimum qualification.
Background to the Review
Changes to the national landscape for the provision of VET training and subsequent changes to the Certificate IV in AOD by the Department of Education and Training in 2016, along with feedback provided by participants and the specialist ACT ATOD services have culminated in the need for a review of the QS.
Process to inform the Review
To undertake the QS policy review and produce the revised QS policy, ATODA has undertaken the following:
- Engagement with ACT Health to confirm expectations and approach
- Collation of feedback from the ACT ATOD sector and QS participants (from 2012 – 2016).
- Review of Australian Department of Education and Training changes to the training package for the CHC43215 Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Audit of QS approaches across Australia
- Consultation with technical experts regarding the delivery of the Certificate IV
- Production of a revised QS Policy for consultation with the ACT ATOD sector. Feedback due Wednesday 16 November 2016.
Following this the proposed policy will be submitted to ACT Health and included on the Drug Services Forum Agenda on Thursday 24 November 2016.
Revised QS Policy Documentation and Feedback Timelines
Feedback on the revised QS Policy document is being sought from the specialist ACT ATOD sector. A document has been produced to inform this and includes:
- Section1: Background
- Section 2: Process to Inform the Review
- Section 3: Draft Revised QS Policy
- Section 4: A summary of policy amendments
- Section 5: Proposed calendar for training delivery
Download the QS Policy Review and Consultation Paper
Feedback is due by Wednesday 16 November 2016
to Amanda Bode, ATODA on email@example.com
or (02) 6249 6358.
 Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT (2015). ‘ACT Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Workforce Qualification and Remuneration Profile 2014’. ATODA Monograph Series, No.2. Canberra: Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT (ATODA).